Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70s Shooting Indoor w/o flash

D70s Shooting Indoor w/o flash

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Dave White wrote:

> Thanks for the input.
>
> I will get a book on basic photography and I will experiment with
> settings. I plan to take many pictures at various settings and then
> review them. I understand that it will be a learning process.
> Fortunately, with digital I can take as many pictures as I want, and
> the price is the same
>
> I am overall very pleased with the camera.
>
> I am not looking for someone to solve my problems. I am simply
> looking for a couple tips to start my learning.

Dave, good glass and technique are the key. Temporarily pack the zoom away
and master the 50mm and everything else will come easy. If you are on a
tight budget you might want to pick up a used 50mm f/1.8D for about $50.
The f.1.4 is a bit better in build quality and speed, but is slightly more
expensive. Build good handholding skills and practice with this lens and
you will truly love low-light photography. There's nothing more satisfying
than the mood you can convey with natural lighting. The D70(s) is a decent
camera and will respond well and give phenomenal images when used properly.

Rita

Skip

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:07:28 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Skip"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Now that I got my rant out of the way by expressing it to my wife, rather
>>than you, I'll give a piece of advice. Go back to Ritz, and buy a book
>>on
>>basic photography. Asking for advice on the internet is fine, but a hard
>>copy book gives you the ability to reference back on a constant basis.
>>And
>>it can come along with you, so you can look things up as you come to them.
>>Another piece of advice; get the heck out of the dummy modes and use what
>>Canon calls "Creative Mode." Use aperture priority, set your aperture at
>>its widest, and hope that there's enough light for the shutter speed the
>>camera chooses. Your lens is rather slow, especially at the long end. I
>>wouldn't attempt it with less than an f2.8 lens, which is exponentially
>>more
>>expensive than the one you have.

> Um calm down Skip. The OP has a NIKON, not a Canon. The general advise to
> get out of the dummy modes is universal. However using "Creative Mode" is
> darned impossible.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

That's why I said, "what Canon calls 'Creative Mode.'" I don't know what
Nikon calls it, but it's the best I could do.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
>
>> Um calm down Skip. The OP has a NIKON, not a Canon. The general
>> advise to get out of the dummy modes is universal. However using
>> "Creative Mode" is darned impossible.

> LOL! Do they make an ON/OFF switch for that?
>

> Rita

Sometimes, I think my switch is broken...