Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tweak request

Tweak request

Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\)

"acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Off topic, but how's the distal humerus?

Bit of a setback, some inflammation that is now under control. I am now back
to where I was 2 weeks ago. Will probably get a brace to keep the arm
straight during sleep, extension seems to be more elusive than flexion, but
we were getting close to the target ROM. The best was -8 and +127. Target 0
and 130+. Left arm is -4 hyper and 137.

Thanks for asking.

Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\)

"Raphael Bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:47:23 GMT, Philippe
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi All
>>
>> I'm still using P/S (can't justify DSLR yet) but I'm not that hot on a
>>computer..
>>
>>I've got a basic unaltered shot here..
>>
>>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5133261
>>
>>I'd love to see what can be done with it, if anything.

> Here's a straightforward application of the
> Shadows/Highlights tool in CS2:
>
> <http://www.terrapinphoto.com/5133261-md-tweak.jpg>
>
> One could push much harder on the controls --
> but I chose not to. There was no masking involved.
>

> rafe b
> www.terrapinphoto.com

Very impressive. H&S is one of those controls in CS2 that I have never paid
much attention too. I may have to repent.

philippe

timeOday wrote:
> Scott W wrote:
>> Philippe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I'm still using P/S (can't justify DSLR yet) but I'm not that hot
>>> on a
>>> computer..
>>>
>>> I've got a basic unaltered shot here..
>>>
>>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5133261
>>>
>>> I'd love to see what can be done with it, if anything.
>>>
>>> Thks
>>>

>>> P.

>> I had a hard time pulling out any good detail but I think I got most of
>> it.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/70008418/original
>>
>> I used the binomial synthesis method, otherwise known as the BS method.
>>
>> Since I found I only needed to use the binomial synthesis method, no
>> other adjustments were needed, my version would be considered pure BS.
>>
>> Scott
>>

> A bit too much grain. A little more postprocessing never hurts...
> <http://www.theknack.net/duck.jpg>

K... I'm keeping that one..

<BG>

P.

philippe

Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs) wrote:
> "Raphael Bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:47:23 GMT, Philippe
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I'm still using P/S (can't justify DSLR yet) but I'm not that hot on a
>>> computer..
>>>
>>> I've got a basic unaltered shot here..
>>>
>>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5133261
>>>
>>> I'd love to see what can be done with it, if anything.

>> Here's a straightforward application of the
>> Shadows/Highlights tool in CS2:
>>
>> <http://www.terrapinphoto.com/5133261-md-tweak.jpg>
>>
>> One could push much harder on the controls --
>> but I chose not to. There was no masking involved.
>>

>> rafe b
>> www.terrapinphoto.com

> Very impressive. H&S is one of those controls in CS2 that I have never paid
> much attention too. I may have to repent.

I may have to reconsider CS2.. leave PS for my wife and get something
more dedicated to photography..

Thks!

P.

Ronald Hands

>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:47:23 GMT, Philippe
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>r..
>>>
>>> I've got a basic unaltered shot here..
>>>
>>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5133261
>>>
>>> I'd love to see what can be done with it, if anything.

A dissenting voice here.

While I admire the skill that went into recovering detail in the
duck, I happen to think the original image is a much more striking piece
of art.

I don't care to see every feather. I know what ducks look like. As
far as I'm concerned, the dark silhouette with those opulent wave forms
really abstracts the idea of a perfectly-formed wild creature at twilight.

-- Ron

Raphael Bustin

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:00:03 -0500, Ronald Hands
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A dissenting voice here.
>
> While I admire the skill that went into recovering detail in the
>duck, I happen to think the original image is a much more striking piece
>of art.
>
> I don't care to see every feather. I know what ducks look like. As
>far as I'm concerned, the dark silhouette with those opulent wave forms
>really abstracts the idea of a perfectly-formed wild creature at twilight.

And my only dissent to your comment is this:
with CS2, there isn't much skill involved, either.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Bigma

"timeOday" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:

> A bit too much grain. A little more postprocessing never hurts...
> <http://www.theknack.net/duck.jpg>

Cute!
Funny, I like such not offensive humour! You won a 2nd cup of morning
coffee! (no problem, I'll have it for you).

mb

Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\)

"Bigma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VkF5h.463$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "timeOday" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> A bit too much grain. A little more postprocessing never hurts...
>> <http://www.theknack.net/duck.jpg>

> Cute!
> Funny, I like such not offensive humour! You won a 2nd cup of morning
> coffee! (no problem, I'll have it for you).
>
> mb

Nice treatment of the improved duck's shadow. Well done.

philippe

Ronald Hands wrote:

>>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:47:23 GMT, Philippe
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> r..

> A dissenting voice here.
>
> While I admire the skill that went into recovering detail in the duck,
> I happen to think the original image is a much more striking piece of art.
>
> I don't care to see every feather. I know what ducks look like. As
> far as I'm concerned, the dark silhouette with those opulent wave forms
> really abstracts the idea of a perfectly-formed wild creature at twilight.
>
> -- Ron

Don't worry.. I'm not changing the original.. I simply want to see what
the possibilities are with something in this much shadow.. I've got
another (shot of an island) pic that has the same type of feel to it,
which I'll likely experiment with. The shots, however, are exactly what
I wanted and are not going to be modified (except for the rubber-duck
one.. I'm *really* keeping that one.. )

Thks!
P.

philippe

Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs) wrote:
> "Bigma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VkF5h.463$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "timeOday" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> A bit too much grain. A little more postprocessing never hurts...
>>> <http://www.theknack.net/duck.jpg>

>> Cute!
>> Funny, I like such not offensive humour! You won a 2nd cup of morning
>> coffee! (no problem, I'll have it for you).
>>
>> mb
>>

> Nice treatment of the improved duck's shadow. Well done.

Yeah.. I was impressed on that..

That, and it *was* cute..

P.