Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lens info...

Lens info...

www.kevinkienlein.com

I have a canon digital rebel and a tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6, I am looking at buying a 2x teleconverter on eBay for under $100.

Are any brands better than others, are they bad news or should I just buy a canon 75-300 for around $300 and not waste my money... ?

kk

--
=>Kevin Kienlein - Entertainer/Inspirational Speaker
=>Vernon, BC, Canada

Randy Berbaum

www.kevinkienlein.com <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: iso-8859-1, 25 lines --]

: I have a canon digital rebel and a tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6, I am looking
: at buying a 2x teleconverter on eBay for under $100.

: Are any brands better than others, are they bad news or should I just
: buy a canon 75-300 for around $300 and not waste my money... ?

Either choice could be the right one for you. Only you will know your own
needs and desires. But Since you ask for opinion I will give you my
philosophy of lens selection. Feel free to use or reject it as you will.

First I like zoom lenses. Not everyone agrees but they work for me. I also
try to have a good bit of overlap between them. When I am composing the
desired image I tend to pendulum back and forth to find the right
composition. If the limits of my lenses either have a gap or are directly
adjacent this pendulum can run afowl of the gap, making it difficult to
get the image I want. I also feel that all converters subtly come in
second for image quality than a zoom of the appropriate length. So I try
to keep the majority of my normal shooting within the range of a
non-converted lens. I Do have both a .5x and a 2x converter for those very
rare shots that are just beyond the range of my lenses. But their use is
generally rare. If I find myself using a converter regularly I would start
searching (and saving for) for a lens that included that range of focal
lengths.

So IMHO if you think you will be wanting to frequently use focal lengths
above your current zoom range, I would tend to search for a lens that will
extend to that length. But if it is more likley that the extension
provided by a 2x converter will only be rarely needed then I would go for
the 2x.

As to which brands or makes are best, this is fairly subjective. But in
general I would think that quality of the optics will be reflected in the
price (to some extent). So it would likely come down to choosing the best
converter that you can afford. As with many SLR lenses, unless you are
Bill Gates, there will always be a better quality lens that would cost you
your entire yearly income for the next several years. You have to balance
what you can pay with what you can be happy with. And if you can actually
make that balance work, you have hit one of the rare fortunate situations.
Celebrate it. If not, join the rest of us who use what we can afford while
drooling over new lens offerings.

Hope this helps.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:29:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
"www.kevinkienlein.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a canon digital rebel and a tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6, I am looking at buying a 2x teleconverter on eBay for under $100.
>

>Are any brands better than others, are they bad news or should I just buy a canon 75-300 for around $300 and not waste my money... ?

You lose two stops with the 2x converter so your tamaron with a 2x will
have a maximum aperture smaller than f/5.6 and the AF will not function.
If you want AF look at another avenue.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

SimonLW

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:29:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
> "www.kevinkienlein.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a canon digital rebel and a tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6, I am looking at
>>buying a 2x teleconverter on eBay for under $100.
>>

>>Are any brands better than others, are they bad news or should I just buy
>>a canon 75-300 for around $300 and not waste my money... ?

> You lose two stops with the 2x converter so your tamaron with a 2x will
> have a maximum aperture smaller than f/5.6 and the AF will not function.
> If you want AF look at another avenue.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Not only that, your image quality goes into the proverbial toilet.
Teleconverters don't work so well on these types of zoom lenses. Don't waste
your money.
-S

jacksonmacd

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:28:43 -0500, "SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>I have a canon digital rebel and a tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6, I am looking at
>>>buying a 2x teleconverter on eBay for under $100.

[snip]

>> --
>> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
>> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

>Not only that, your image quality goes into the proverbial toilet.
>Teleconverters don't work so well on these types of zoom lenses. Don't waste
>your money.
>-S

I second that motion.

After several years of digital P&S camera, I recently purchased a
Nikon D-80 DSLR with 18-135 zoom lens. Prior to that, I had a 35 mm
Nikon SLR for which I had purchased, but hardly ever used, a 1.4x
Tamron teleconverter. Tried the teleconverter on the D-80. Very
disappointing image quality, so the teleconverter is now relegated to
the closet.

remove uppercase letters for true email
http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:40:32 GMT, in rec.photo.digital jacksonmacd
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I second that motion.
>
>After several years of digital P&S camera, I recently purchased a
>Nikon D-80 DSLR with 18-135 zoom lens. Prior to that, I had a 35 mm
>Nikon SLR for which I had purchased, but hardly ever used, a 1.4x
>Tamron teleconverter. Tried the teleconverter on the D-80. Very
>disappointing image quality, so the teleconverter is now relegated to
>the closet.

I'm not knocking the use of TC's in general. In fact I use a Nikon
TC-20E-II all the time with my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens. A good TC with a
good lens can equal good results. However even a good TC will just magnify
the short comings of a so-so lens. Many of the photos on this page were
taken with this combo, including the last one taken this morning.
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ife/index.html
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

www.kevinkienlein.com

tnx... kk

"Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ej1jie$jcj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> extend to that length. But if it is more likley that the extension
> provided by a 2x converter will only be rarely needed then I would go for
> the 2x.
>
> As to which brands or makes are best, this is fairly subjective. But in
> general I would think that quality of the optics will be reflected in the
> price (to some extent). So it would likely come down to choosing the best
> converter that you can afford. As with many SLR lenses, unless you are
> Bill Gates, there will always be a better quality lens that would cost you
> your entire yearly income for the next several years. You have to balance
> what you can pay with what you can be happy with. And if you can actually
> make that balance work, you have hit one of the rare fortunate situations.
> Celebrate it. If not, join the rest of us who use what we can afford while

www.kevinkienlein.com

tnx... kk

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45543da3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:29:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
>> "www.kevinkienlein.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a canon digital rebel and a tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6, I am looking
>>>at buying a 2x teleconverter on eBay for under $100.
>>>

>>>Are any brands better than others, are they bad news or should I just buy
>>>a canon 75-300 for around $300 and not waste my money... ?

>> You lose two stops with the 2x converter so your tamaron with a 2x will
>> have a maximum aperture smaller than f/5.6 and the AF will not function.
>> If you want AF look at another avenue.
>> --
>> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
>> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

> Not only that, your image quality goes into the proverbial toilet.
> Teleconverters don't work so well on these types of zoom lenses. Don't
> waste your money.
> -S

www.kevinkienlein.com

tnx... kk