Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Files are changed over the network

Files are changed over the network

Dudi

Hi,

I am using two PC's, both of them are WinXP SP2, wirelss network (D-Link
stuff) that includes two USB cards for the PC's and a wireless router which
is connected via modem to ADSL. I'm also using anti-virus on both of the
platforms.

I noticed that somehow files are changed when I am transferring files
between the two PC's. Actually, only exe, DLL and zip files where modified.
Texted files as well as ini files were left 'untouched'.

Any suggestions ?
Dudi

Olaf Engelke [MVP]

Hi,
Dudi wrote:
> I am using two PC's, both of them are WinXP SP2, wirelss network
> (D-Link stuff) that includes two USB cards for the PC's and a
> wireless router which is connected via modem to ADSL. I'm also using
> anti-virus on both of the platforms.
>
> I noticed that somehow files are changed when I am transferring files
> between the two PC's. Actually, only exe, DLL and zip files where
> modified. Texted files as well as ini files were left 'untouched'.

so lets assume the virus scanner is doing it's work. What exactly lets you
think that the files are *changed*?
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf.

Jack

Hi.

I do not think that it has to do with Internet or Viruses.

"Quirky" Network might trash EXE ZIP DLL files while leaving alone text
files (ini are usually simple text files).

This phenomenon might occur in wired Network too and it is usually a result
of Bad CAT5 cables.

I can tell you what I would do!

I would re-configure my Network and the Basic Wireless with Wire. I.e.
connect one computer with a CAT5 to the Router and do the initial
configuration with Wire. Taking it one step at the time until I find what
step is Trashing the Files. When every thing seems to work well switch to
Wireless only.

May be this can Help in the steps.

Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).