Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera with autofocus during video zoom

Camera with autofocus during video zoom

davek57

I'm looking to see if anyone's familiar with a compact digital camera
that, while recording video clips, maintains its focus while zooming
in/out. Most camcorders have this capability. But I'm having trouble
finding a digital camera that doesn't need to re-focus once you've
zoomed in. Any suggestions? Thank you.

-Dave

razvan.jurca@gmail.com

I know Konica-Minolta Z3 has this... There is a newer Z model than Z3
from K-M.

On Nov 9, 5:25 am, "davek57" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking to see if anyone's familiar with a compact digital camera
> that, while recording video clips, maintains its focus while zooming
> in/out. Most camcorders have this capability. But I'm having trouble
> finding a digital camera that doesn't need to re-focus once you've
> zoomed in. Any suggestions? Thank you.
>
> -Dave

Cgiorgio

"davek57" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm looking to see if anyone's familiar with a compact digital camera
> that, while recording video clips, maintains its focus while zooming
> in/out. Most camcorders have this capability. But I'm having trouble
> finding a digital camera that doesn't need to re-focus once you've
> zoomed in. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Most superzoom cameras (for example Panasonic, Fuji) have a menu option
called "Continuous AF" or "C-AF" that can be switched on for this purpose.
It is normally off to save power. However many of the really compact
digicams do not allow you to use optical zoom while recording in Movie mode,
focus does not change with digital zooming.

Ron Hunter

> I know Konica-Minolta Z3 has this... There is a newer Z model than Z3
> from K-M.
>
> On Nov 9, 5:25 am, "davek57" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm looking to see if anyone's familiar with a compact digital camera
>> that, while recording video clips, maintains its focus while zooming
>> in/out. Most camcorders have this capability. But I'm having trouble
>> finding a digital camera that doesn't need to re-focus once you've
>> zoomed in. Any suggestions? Thank you.
>>
>> -Dave

Many still cameras don't allow zooming while in 'movie mode'. Those
that do should certainly also autofocus, and adjust the aperture. You
might check the Kodak 705, I believe it has the zoom during movie mode
feature.

Hebee Jeebes

My Panasonic FZ30 maintains focus. You just have to remember that it focuses
slow, so if you go from wide to full zoom quickly it will take a second for
the focus to catch up. This has nothing to do with the continuous auto focus
mode which you don't need for video. Besides being able to zoom the image
stabilization of the 30 also works so you get very good video for a still
camera.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...