Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where to buy in San Fransisco

Where to buy in San Fransisco

harlen

At San Jose Camera, you know what you want and you buy. The clerks are not
friendly or helpful. Their prices are very competitive and have inventory.
You can call them for pricing and stock before going to the store. The
store is at the intersection of Hamilton AV and Winchester Blvd.

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Michel" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I am looking for Canon lenses.
>> Here are my options:
>>
>> EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
>> EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
>> EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM
>> EF 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM
>> EF 100-400 f/4.0-5.6L IS USM
>>
>> I would have to compare first with our prices in Europe, more
>> specifically
>> with German prices which are far cheaper than the belgian ones.

> Try calling these guys:
>
> http://www.sanjosecamera.com/
>
> They are about 1 hour's drive south of San Francisco. As I understand
> it, they just sell stuff (i.e. you tell them what you want and they
> take your money and hand you a box), they don't try to advise you or
> show you stuff and let you play with it. But their prices are
> supposed to be pretty good (I haven't bought anything from them).
>
> As someone else said, though, California has an 8.5% sales tax which
> (unlike VAT) would NOT get refunded when you go back to Europe, and
> that itself can be significant for a more expensive item.
>
>> Of course, ordering on-line via a local address should be the max. but
>> actually out of the question .

> I think ordering with a foreign credit card using a hotel room as an
> address would get rejected, but maybe you can arrange to pay in
> advance by wire transfer. For an expensive item like the 17-55 that
> might be a workable plan. B&H will also ship internationally if you
> want that.

John McWilliams

Mike Russell wrote:

>> just bob wrote:
>>> If you want a real photo store with stock, it's Calumet.

>>> But they do not have discount pricing. You will not even get them to
>>> match B&H.

> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Agreed.

> I'll add my vote to that. Michel mentioned buying a lens. Circuit City and
> the other places I mentioned would be for cameras only. For a lens that I'd
> almost certainly go with the web.
>
> Unfortunately ordering over the web is not going to be an option to
> travellers who want to buy without having to pay VAT, which is 15 percent or
> so. We have an 8.5 percent sales tax, which added to the store's markup
> will make it almost a wash.
>
> So this begs the question of how a foreign visitor with just a few days to
> spend in the US can buy something on the web. Possible business niche
> opening for some enterprising soul: future vistor paypals the money in
> advance to the purchaser in the US, who orders it for later pickup.
>
>> And there's that old store on Second St. - blocked the name right now,
>> probably because several of their sales "help" are snotty.

> Adolph Gassers - this rather dingy ugly place was where Ansel Adam's bought
> his photo supplies, and it would be a miserable place to work every day,
> IMHO. But the people are knowledgeable, and even polite in a New Yorker
> sort of way. The last purchase I made there was for a Macbeth Colorchecker,
> and the person behind the counter very kindly gave me the educational
> discount because I said I needed it to write a web tutorial. Whether you
> buy or not, if you're near Market Street, it may be worth a peek inside for
> history's sake, just to visit the shrine of St. Ansel, and see where young
> Ansel Adams used to spend his allowance money.
>
>> There's a top end outfit in Palo Alto, although I have yet to make a
>> pilgrimage there. Shukert and something. Man, I suck today with names.

> Me too, but Google's got it: Keeble & Schuchat

Yeah, dat's it. And Paul reminded me of The Looking Glass, one of my
favs, but which had temporarily left my grey matter along with any
spelling ability.

Now I know why I keep dropping by Gassers': the ghost of AA. I have a
B+W of Half Dome hanging that I did 20 years ago, and I tell
unsuspecting guests, should they be ignorant or polite enough to ask,
"Is that an Ansel Adams"? And I say, "Why yes!" Usually I break down and
say the truth before they leave.

--
john mcwilliams

just bob

"harlen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JKt4h.23947$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> At San Jose Camera, you know what you want and you buy. The clerks are
> not friendly or helpful. Their prices are very competitive and have
> inventory. You can call them for pricing and stock before going to the
> store. The store is at the intersection of Hamilton AV and Winchester
> Blvd.

Ha! You are spot on about San Jose Camera's help being less than inspiring,
but their pricing is only slightly better than Calumet or Keeble. If I was
coming from SFO it would not be worth the travel cost to go up to SJC. Also
their shop is very small. Keeble in Palo Alto is very nice, people are
great, and you can haggle a bit with them. Ask for Gary, who knows all the
Canon gear really well. Don't even try to bargain a price at SJC - they are
firm. I do more shopping at Keeble - I pay more but they have everything,
and I mean everything. SJC is closer to me and cheaper but when I need to
shop I go up to Keeble.

> "Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Michel" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> I am looking for Canon lenses.
>>> Here are my options:
>>>
>>> EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
>>> EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
>>> EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM
>>> EF 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM
>>> EF 100-400 f/4.0-5.6L IS USM
>>>
>>> I would have to compare first with our prices in Europe, more
>>> specifically
>>> with German prices which are far cheaper than the belgian ones.

>> Try calling these guys:
>>
>> http://www.sanjosecamera.com/
>>
>> They are about 1 hour's drive south of San Francisco. As I understand
>> it, they just sell stuff (i.e. you tell them what you want and they
>> take your money and hand you a box), they don't try to advise you or
>> show you stuff and let you play with it. But their prices are
>> supposed to be pretty good (I haven't bought anything from them).
>>
>> As someone else said, though, California has an 8.5% sales tax which
>> (unlike VAT) would NOT get refunded when you go back to Europe, and
>> that itself can be significant for a more expensive item.
>>
>>> Of course, ordering on-line via a local address should be the max. but
>>> actually out of the question .

>> I think ordering with a foreign credit card using a hotel room as an
>> address would get rejected, but maybe you can arrange to pay in
>> advance by wire transfer. For an expensive item like the 17-55 that
>> might be a workable plan. B&H will also ship internationally if you
>> want that.

Father Kodak

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:00:35 -0800, "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom>
wrote:

>Ha! You are spot on about San Jose Camera's help being less than inspiring,
>but their pricing is only slightly better than Calumet or Keeble. If I was
>coming from SFO it would not be worth the travel cost to go up to SJC. Also
>their shop is very small. Keeble in Palo Alto is very nice, people are
>great, and you can haggle a bit with them. Ask for Gary, who knows all the

Haggle at Keeble? My impression is that the price is the price is the
price at that store. Is there a right way and a wrong way to discuss
pricing at Keeble?

Father Kodak

just bob

"Father Kodak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:00:35 -0800, "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom>
> wrote:
>

>>Ha! You are spot on about San Jose Camera's help being less than
>>inspiring,
>>but their pricing is only slightly better than Calumet or Keeble. If I was
>>coming from SFO it would not be worth the travel cost to go up to SJC.
>>Also
>>their shop is very small. Keeble in Palo Alto is very nice, people are
>>great, and you can haggle a bit with them. Ask for Gary, who knows all the

> Haggle at Keeble? My impression is that the price is the price is the
> price at that store. Is there a right way and a wrong way to discuss
> pricing at Keeble?

I was in there about a month ago and asked "Gary" if he could come down on
the price of a 5D a bit, to $3100, and he said it was possible.

But get this, I just called to ask what the price is now because they are
having their "Pay no tax" days this weekend and he said $3300 (!) for the
5D. When I asked about online sales from New York being less expensive he
says they do not work in "grey market" products and "shady back door" deals.
When I said do you consider BH Photo in New York one of these types of
sellers and that the Canon 5D with USA warranty is selling for only $2799 he
said, "they are a good company" and "they must get better pricing than we
do." I really doubt the difference they pay is that much. There are just
too many rich people in this area!

Bob Salomon

In article <4553bd28$0$88695$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

> I really doubt the difference they pay is that much. There are just
> too many rich people in this area!

And there aren't a lot of rich people within 40 miles of Manhattan? What
is the population in Palo Alto?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Father Kodak

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:51:05 -0500, Bob Salomon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <4553bd28$0$88695$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:
>
>> I really doubt the difference they pay is that much. There are just
>> too many rich people in this area!

I'll say About a year ago, I was at the Nikon counter. Guy to me is
looking at a D2X. Tries it out, lays his card down on the counter and
says, "I'll take it." Not a word about price. My never-pay-retail
inner shopper was shocked, shocked.

>And there aren't a lot of rich people within 40 miles of Manhattan? What
>is the population in Palo Alto?

Palo Alto itself, about 60 thousand. Count the surrounding "rich"
areas and you're up to several hundred thou. The Upper East Side
probably has more well-off people than all of Palo Alto and Menlo Park
plus Atherton.

I think the difference is in the way people were brought up. People
here don't seem to care as much about "did I get a good price." It's
hard to describe.

Go into Keeble and Shuchat any Saturday and it's very crowded at
times. On a weekday morning, in the "pro" store across the street, it
can be very quiet.

From their point of view, they are doing pretty well, why should they
change??

Father Kodak

Father Kodak

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:43:39 -0800, "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom>
wrote:

>I was in there about a month ago and asked "Gary" if he could come down on
>the price of a 5D a bit, to $3100, and he said it was possible.

And with the 8.25% sales tax, that comes to $3355.75.

>But get this, I just called to ask what the price is now because they are
>having their "Pay no tax" days this weekend and he said $3300 (!) for the
>5D. When I asked about online sales from New York being less expensive he
>says they do not work in "grey market" products and "shady back door" deals.
>When I said do you consider BH Photo in New York one of these types of
>sellers and that the Canon 5D with USA warranty is selling for only $2799 he

Plus shipping of course! Another $20-$30.

Heck for that difference, you are half-way to a great lens.

>said, "they are a good company" and "they must get better pricing than we
>do." I really doubt the difference they pay is that much. There are just
>too many rich people in this area!

Sometimes when I'm there, I feel like I did when I first went into
that store in the late 70s. Everyone there is the same, only 30 years
older. And frozen in time in their attitudes.

If they were smarter, they would realize that they need to develop a
strong web presence if they wish to survive, even regionally. Frankly,
I think that they will go under once Terry Shuchat is no longer
actively involved in the store's management.

Father Kodak

Ray Fischer

Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

>> I really doubt the difference they pay is that much. There are just
>> too many rich people in this area!

>And there aren't a lot of rich people within 40 miles of Manhattan? What
>is the population in Palo Alto?

The average price of a house in Palo Alto is about $850,000. Stanford
University is next door.

--
Ray Fischer

Bob Salomon

In article <45562e3a$0$34524$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

> >> I really doubt the difference they pay is that much. There are just
> >> too many rich people in this area!

> >And there aren't a lot of rich people within 40 miles of Manhattan? What
> >is the population in Palo Alto?

> The average price of a house in Palo Alto is about $850,000. Stanford
> University is next door.

Look up the price of a condo in Manhattan.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.