Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Removal of layers of JPG

Removal of layers of JPG

caddypimp1976@hotmail.com

I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos. A few of
them I had changed around or added clipart or things like that and
added to myspace or photobucket, but now I want to recover the
originals. Is there anyway to remove a piece of clipart and text that
has been placed on photos and restore the original photo underneath, or
does JPG write over the data?

Cgiorgio

<(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos. A few of
> them I had changed around or added clipart or things like that and
> added to myspace or photobucket, but now I want to recover the
> originals. Is there anyway to remove a piece of clipart and text that
> has been placed on photos and restore the original photo underneath, or
> does JPG write over the data?

Unfortunately the .jpg format can not store any layers (most programs will
tell you that all layers will have to be combined into one when you select
"Save As - .jpg"

AustinMN

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos.

I have only experienced one hard drive crash (I've been a computer
programmer since 1977), but I lost *nothing*. If it's "needless to
say," then perhaps you got what you deserved.

Backups, backups, backups, people. It's relatively cheap insurance for
what some consider an inevitable failure. Backups have saved my job
more than once (there are more ways to loose precious data than hard
drive failure), and all of the greatest business calamities I have ever
seen are because someone decided "we don't need to back that up."

You need backups. Now you know.

Austin

Mike Russell

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos. A few of
> them I had changed around or added clipart or things like that and
> added to myspace or photobucket, but now I want to recover the
> originals. Is there anyway to remove a piece of clipart and text that
> has been placed on photos and restore the original photo underneath, or
> does JPG write over the data?

No one enjoys losing their data like this, and I've known a number of
talented and smart people who've lost their images this way.

If there is just a few bad spots on the drive taking out the file system,
and the drive basically works, you may be able to recover your files using
software designed for that purpose. I have not compared the various ones
available, but I've had good luck with one called photorescue
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

As far as recovering the jpg originals, one choice is careful use of the
clone tool to cover over the artwork.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos. A few of
> them I had changed around or added clipart or things like that and
> added to myspace or photobucket, but now I want to recover the
> originals. Is there anyway to remove a piece of clipart and text that
> has been placed on photos and restore the original photo underneath, or
> does JPG write over the data?

There is no such thing as a layer in the jpg format. The original images
have been gone ever since you put all that extraneous stuff on them,
flattened the file, and saved it as a jpg.

Jim

Eric Miller

> I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos. A few of
> them I had changed around or added clipart or things like that and
> added to myspace or photobucket, but now I want to recover the
> originals. Is there anyway to remove a piece of clipart and text that
> has been placed on photos and restore the original photo underneath, or
> does JPG write over the data?

Try one of the services that recovers data from damaged hard drives, if
its worth it to you.

Eric Miller

SimonLW

"AustinMN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
>> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos.

> I have only experienced one hard drive crash (I've been a computer
> programmer since 1977), but I lost *nothing*. If it's "needless to
> say," then perhaps you got what you deserved.
>
> Backups, backups, backups, people. It's relatively cheap insurance for
> what some consider an inevitable failure. Backups have saved my job
> more than once (there are more ways to loose precious data than hard
> drive failure), and all of the greatest business calamities I have ever
> seen are because someone decided "we don't need to back that up."
>
> You need backups. Now you know.
>
> Austin

Indeed. My photos are in three places. Home PC, laptop and DVD copies. I
plan to get the DVDs in a safe deposite box off site. I don't make any money
with my photos (well, not much anyway).
-S

jeremy

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4553328d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "AustinMN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I recently had my hard drive crash (physical error on disk itself,
>>> irrecoverable) and needless to say I lost all of my photos.

>> I have only experienced one hard drive crash (I've been a computer
>> programmer since 1977), but I lost *nothing*. If it's "needless to
>> say," then perhaps you got what you deserved.
>>
>> Backups, backups, backups, people. It's relatively cheap insurance for
>> what some consider an inevitable failure. Backups have saved my job
>> more than once (there are more ways to loose precious data than hard
>> drive failure), and all of the greatest business calamities I have ever
>> seen are because someone decided "we don't need to back that up."
>>
>> You need backups. Now you know.
>>
>> Austin
>>

> Indeed. My photos are in three places. Home PC, laptop and DVD copies. I
> plan to get the DVDs in a safe deposite box off site. I don't make any
> money with my photos (well, not much anyway).
> -S

With regard to DVD backups, people that understand these things much better
than I have cautioned that DVD's standards do not have as much error
correction as CDs, and that CDs are preferred as backup media for that
reason.

Of course, CD is going to be obsolete sooner than DVD will, so this must be
factored into one's decision as to which medium to use.

I continue to archive on CD, and I plan to migrate to whatever medium
becomes in vogue in the future--hopefully something that will be somewhat
more reliable for backup purposes.

Scott W

jeremy wrote:
> With regard to DVD backups, people that understand these things much

better
> than I have cautioned that DVD's standards do not have as much error
> correction as CDs, and that CDs are preferred as backup media for that
> reason.

Please give your source on this as I fear it is our old friend Ken
Rockwell.

It is just a common courtesy to tell us when you are referencing K.R.
this will make it easier to know if we should take it seriously or not.

Scott

AustinMN

Scott W wrote:
> jeremy wrote:
> > With regard to DVD backups, people that understand these things much

> better
> > than I have cautioned that DVD's standards do not have as much error
> > correction as CDs, and that CDs are preferred as backup media for that
> > reason.

> Please give your source on this as I fear it is our old friend Ken
> Rockwell.
>
> It is just a common courtesy to tell us when you are referencing K.R.
> this will make it easier to know if we should take it seriously or not.

Indeed. If the error correction is less on DVDs, it is almost certanly
because a decade of experience with CDs has shown that the old levels
are not needed.

It is possible that Video on DVD has less error correction than Audio
on CD, but that's like complaining that a train has worse gas mileage
than a bicycle.

The post jeremy was replying to (which has been snipped along the way)
was using DVDs as a tertiary backup. Even if the poster lost 10% of
the data on DVD (a rediculously high number), he would not be relying
on the DVDs unless he lost *both* his computers, in which case he'd be
glad for the 90% he got.

Austin