Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Eos Rebel Error 99

Canon Eos Rebel Error 99

Skip

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnR66 wrote:
>
>> Canon sells one heck of a lot of cameras and thus you will hear more
>> of any problems here.

> Yeah, that's why Canon must rush them out the door so quickly before
> developing a stable system. How often do you Canon guys update your
> firmware? I thought they had a new patch out once a month. Geez! Is
> Canon
> competing with Microsoft?
>
> As for Error 99, that means it's time to buy a Nikon.

As far as the first paragraph, Rita, I'd have to agree with you. Canon
seems to view firmware updates as a viable way to fix problems that should
have been caught in the prototype stage. Nikon, from what I can see, seems
to view firmware updates as a way to add more features. After about 2-3
months, Canon quits putting up updates, since they've fixed everything, and
from then on, you don't hear any more about problems with that body. The
5D and 1 series seem to be an exception to that, but that's probably because
they view the potential purchasers as having less patience. (Just a guess.)

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Bill

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> 3) 28-105 lens (kit lens with ancient EOS-3) gave the Err-99
>> problem

> on several bodies. This lens was given to my wife's nephew 3 years
> ago
> so I don't know how it was used. It's probably 10 years old by now.
> Diagnosed as a burnt-out diode inside the lens.
>
> Fixed for $135 by local camera shop (my wife thought the quote was
> for
> $85 so agreed to have it fixed, but $85 was just for the part).

That's outrageous...$85 for a 50cent diode.

> 4) Wife purchased an XTi (Rebel 400d) a few weeks ago as
> replacement
> for a 10D as a backup body. The much vaunted "Auto Sensor Cleaning"
> function does practically nothing.

Unfortunately I expected that. The Sony and Olympus cameras are the
same.

> The second body they sent had a larger smear that also would not
> clear
> up with aggressive manual sensor cleaning but it's at the edge of
> the

By manual cleaning, I presume you mean fluid and a swipe? I'm
surprised you can't get it clean. What kind of fluid are you using?

> Maybe there is something to the questions about Canon reliability
> and
> QA. I'm saying that as someone who (with my wife) currently has
> five
> digital bodies, two film bodies and 21 Canon EF lenses.

That's not good. I'll bet Canon was rushing to get the XTi on the
shelves to compete with Nikon and Sony, and they sacrificed quality
for availability.

I recently bought a Nikon D80, and it didn't have a single speck of
dust on the sensor from the factory. After two weeks, it is still
spotless.

Bill

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4551e627$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Why? A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable. Sony
> was tops which is a shock to me.

Which survey? Any links to it?

I googled but couldn't find anything relevant or within the last two
years.

SimonLW

news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> 3) 28-105 lens (kit lens with ancient EOS-3) gave the Err-99 problem

>> on several bodies. This lens was given to my wife's nephew 3 years ago
>> so I don't know how it was used. It's probably 10 years old by now.
>> Diagnosed as a burnt-out diode inside the lens.
>>
>> Fixed for $135 by local camera shop (my wife thought the quote was for
>> $85 so agreed to have it fixed, but $85 was just for the part).

> That's outrageous...$85 for a 50cent diode.

When will people understand the cost of running the business? Salary and
benefits of employees, training for the employee. taxes and more taxes,
facilities, utilities, GOGs (cost of goods), advertising, ect... and you'd
like to make a little profit! For the small business owner, anything lest
than $60 per hours in sales won't keep the doors open. That is just for a
single person business.

In bulk, that diode is < 5 cents a piece. Here's the diode. Go fix the damn
lens yourself!

Sorry, just ranting. I'm considering starting my own business and after
research, I now see the all costs involved. I can see why 4 out of 5 new
businesses fail in the first year. The damn fools don't research the market
and don't realize all the costs involved.
-S

Bill Hilton

>> "Bill Hilton" wrote
>>
>> 3) 28-105 lens (kit lens with ancient EOS-3) gave the Err-99
>> problem on several bodies.
>> Diagnosed as a burnt-out diode inside the lens.
>>
>> Fixed for $135 by local camera shop (my wife thought the quote was
>> for $85 so agreed to have it fixed, but $85 was just for the part).

> Bill wrote:
>
> That's outrageous...$85 for a 50cent diode.

It's not feasible to unsolder and replace a single component like a
diode so they replace the entire circuit board, which has a surprising
number of components ... here's a front and back view of the faulty pcb
taken from the Err-99 lens ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/pcb_28-105.jpg

>> The second body they sent had a larger smear that also would
>> not clear up with aggressive manual sensor cleaning

> By manual cleaning, I presume you mean fluid and a swipe? I'm
> surprised you can't get it clean. What kind of fluid are you using?

Pec pad with Eclipse ... Canon agreed the speck on the first camera was
under the glass and replaced it. The second body they sent has an even
larger speck.

> That's not good. I'll bet Canon was rushing to get the XTi on the
> shelves to compete with Nikon and Sony, and they sacrificed quality
> for availability.

Probably right.

> I recently bought a Nikon D80, and it didn't have a single speck of
> dust on the sensor from the factory. After two weeks, it is still
> spotless.

Did you put a macro lens on and set it to close focus and check at f/32
or f/22, overexposing two stops while shooting a light toned subject?
I occasionally meet people while photographing who say they never have
specks but when they run this test they always (so far at least) find
out otherwise

Bill

JC Dill

On 9 Nov 2006 08:55:03 -0800, "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> The second body they sent had a larger smear that also would
>>> not clear up with aggressive manual sensor cleaning

>> By manual cleaning, I presume you mean fluid and a swipe? I'm
>> surprised you can't get it clean. What kind of fluid are you using?

>Pec pad with Eclipse ... Canon agreed the speck on the first camera was
>under the glass and replaced it. The second body they sent has an even
>larger speck.

A good friend had a similar problem with a Canon 20D A. His camera
arrived (brand new) with a filthy sensor[1] and he had to send it back
twice before it was cleaned to an acceptable degree. Since this
camera was bought to do infrared astro photography where he hoped to
find something that would be as small as a single pixel, it was
critical to have an absolutely clean sensor.

The second time the camera was sent back for cleaning it was sent to a
specific high-level tech rather than dumped into the general repair
queue to be done by whoever. You might want to see if you can get
your wife's camera some similar special handling to get the sensor
properly cleaned or replaced.

jc

[1] My friend speculated that these cameras are produced
one-at-a-time, perhaps using refurbished units that are hand modified
to become A (astro, infrared filtering removed making it infrared
capable), and that the modification wasn't done in production quality
clean room, which is how the sensor became so dirty.

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

Bill

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4552f11a$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> $85 so agreed to have it fixed, but $85 was just for the part).

>> That's outrageous...$85 for a 50cent diode.
>>

> When will people understand the cost of running the business?

I understand the costs, been there, done that. That's why you charge
for labour costs, which can be high and understandably so. But
charging $85 for a part that's worth pennies is just ridiculous.

As another poster mentioned, the part is actually a circuit board, not
just the diode, so that's more reasonable.

Bill

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>>> Fixed for $135 by local camera shop (my wife thought the quote was
>>> for $85 so agreed to have it fixed, but $85 was just for the
>>> part).

>> That's outrageous...$85 for a 50cent diode.

> It's not feasible to unsolder and replace a single component like a
> diode so they replace the entire circuit board, which has a
> surprising
> number of components ... here's a front and back view of the faulty
> pcb
> taken from the Err-99 lens ...
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/pcb_28-105.jpg

That explains the high price. I didn't realize it was a board and that
it used surface mount components. A regular lead diode is easy to
remove and replace. But those little surface mount suckers are a pain
to handle even with the right tools, I know, I've done it on a board
from a scanner.

> Pec pad with Eclipse ... Canon agreed the speck on the first camera
> was
> under the glass and replaced it. The second body they sent has an
> even
> larger speck.

AAHHH! That would be so irritating.

>> I recently bought a Nikon D80, and it didn't have a single speck of
>> dust on the sensor from the factory. After two weeks, it is still
>> spotless.

> Did you put a macro lens on and set it to close focus and check at
> f/32
> or f/22, overexposing two stops while shooting a light toned
> subject?

Almost. I used the 50mm f/1.8 set at f/22 shooting a white board
indoors since it was dark when I started to seriously play with the
camera, and cloudy too. I managed to shoot the clear blue sky the
other day and it's still spotless.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Bill Hilton wrote:

> Maybe there is something to the questions about Canon reliability and
> QA. I'm saying that as someone who (with my wife) currently has five
> digital bodies, two film bodies and 21 Canon EF lenses.

It sounds like too much heartache for one person to go through. If it were
me, I would fire up the old hydraulic press and decommission that crap and
go Nikon. If Nikon did this to me I would go Canon. Surprisingly, I never
had any problems with my equipment. I guess it must be luck?

Rita

John McWilliams

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>> Maybe there is something to the questions about Canon reliability and
>> QA. I'm saying that as someone who (with my wife) currently has five
>> digital bodies, two film bodies and 21 Canon EF lenses.

> It sounds like too much heartache for one person to go through. If it were
> me, I would fire up the old hydraulic press and decommission that crap and
> go Nikon. If Nikon did this to me I would go Canon. Surprisingly, I never
> had any problems with my equipment. I guess it must be luck?

Yeah, man, you have all the markings of a guy who's really "stepped in it."

Hooo-aaaah.

--
lsmft