Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Eos Rebel Error 99

Canon Eos Rebel Error 99

Jim P

I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
Both lenses were canon.
I tried cleaning the contacts.
Removed the battery and lenses.
Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
heard that most of them have this problem after
2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?

Jim P

Panos

Jim P wrote:
> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
> Both lenses were canon.
> I tried cleaning the contacts.
> Removed the battery and lenses.
> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
> heard that most of them have this problem after
> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
>

> Jim P

The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
make you a happier photographer in the long term.

Bigma

"Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
> Both lenses were canon.
> I tried cleaning the contacts.
> Removed the battery and lenses.
> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
> heard that most of them have this problem after
> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
>

> Jim P

Several years with a D Rebel, lenses: Canon kit, + Canon 1.8 50 mm, + 2
Sigma telezooms.
Never seen a single error xyz, through 6000+ shoots.

Gorgeous clean skys at 100 ISO
Would'nt exchange it for any Nikon.

Did you clean the battery and internal power contacts?

mb

Jim P

"Bigma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%nn4h.114215$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
>> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
>> Both lenses were canon.
>> I tried cleaning the contacts.
>> Removed the battery and lenses.
>> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
>> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
>> heard that most of them have this problem after
>> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
>>

>> Jim P
>>

> Several years with a D Rebel, lenses: Canon kit, + Canon 1.8 50 mm, + 2
> Sigma telezooms.
> Never seen a single error xyz, through 6000+ shoots.
>
> Gorgeous clean skys at 100 ISO
> Would'nt exchange it for any Nikon.
>
> Did you clean the battery and internal power contacts?
>

> mb

Tried all of the "internet search" fixes.
I was hoping that I could just find a fix and save myself $200.

plb49

With my old 350D, I got error 99 with one Canon lens only--sent the
lens back to Canon, repaired for $90, no problems since on that 350D or
new 400D.
Paul B.

On Nov 8, 11:21 am, "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bigma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:%nn4h.114215$(E-Mail Removed) ron.net...
>

> > "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > (E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
> >> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
> >> Both lenses were canon.
> >> I tried cleaning the contacts.
> >> Removed the battery and lenses.
> >> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
> >> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
> >> heard that most of them have this problem after
> >> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?

> >> Jim P

> > Several years with a D Rebel, lenses: Canon kit, + Canon 1.8 50 mm, + 2
> > Sigma telezooms.
> > Never seen a single error xyz, through 6000+ shoots.

> > Gorgeous clean skys at 100 ISO
> > Would'nt exchange it for any Nikon.

> > Did you clean the battery and internal power contacts?

> > mbTried all of the "internet search" fixes.

> I was hoping that I could just find a fix and save myself $200.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Bill Funk

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:59:07 -0500, "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
>Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
>Both lenses were canon.
>I tried cleaning the contacts.
>Removed the battery and lenses.
>Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
>It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
>heard that most of them have this problem after
>2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
>

>Jim P

Error 99 is the 'catchall' error number.
You seem to have covered the basics, and no, it's not normal for
Canons to develop a problem after 2000 pictures. Do you really think
Canon could sell more DSLRs than any other maker if this were true?
And yes, it's a shame. Stuff happens.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

SimonLW

"Panos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Jim P wrote:
>> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
>> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
>> Both lenses were canon.
>> I tried cleaning the contacts.
>> Removed the battery and lenses.
>> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
>> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
>> heard that most of them have this problem after
>> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
>>

>> Jim P

> The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
> buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
> make you a happier photographer in the long term.

Why? A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable. Sony was tops
which is a shock to me.
-S

Bill Hilton

>Jim P wrote:
>
> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?

Probably not since cleaning the contacts didn't fix it ...

> Both lenses were canon.
> I tried cleaning the contacts.
> Removed the battery and lenses.
> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?

Typically hardware ... we had a lens give this problem a few months ago
and it was a burned out diode in the lens, fixed for abour $90.

> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
> heard that most of them have this problem after
> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?

No. A couple of my Canons are still going strong after 35,000 frames
and not-so-gentle use. You are just unlucky.

Bill

Pete D

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4551e627$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Panos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>
>> Jim P wrote:
>>> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
>>> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
>>> Both lenses were canon.
>>> I tried cleaning the contacts.
>>> Removed the battery and lenses.
>>> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
>>> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
>>> heard that most of them have this problem after
>>> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
>>>

>>> Jim P

>> The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
>> buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
>> make you a happier photographer in the long term.
>>

> Why? A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable. Sony was
> tops which is a shock to me.
> -S

Shock to me too, most problems reported here would be from Canon errors
followed a low way behind would be Nikon flashing light of no response.
Seriously there is not that many problems and those reported here would most
likely be from heavy users so would be over represented.

JC Dill

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:59:07 -0500, "Jim P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
>Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
>Both lenses were canon.
>I tried cleaning the contacts.
>Removed the battery and lenses.

Did you try a different CF card?