Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > what's up with the dsc-r1?

what's up with the dsc-r1?

Kinon O'cann

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <OwF4h.26$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kinon O'Cann
> says...
>>
>> How did you get along in life before this cam appeared? What camera
>> offered
>> that combination prior to this one?

> Tons of other cameras with a smaller sensor.

Right, so none of them worked for you prior to the R1?

> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Kinon O'cann

"m Ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I believe at dpreview they state considering just the lens of the R1 is
> worth 900$ itself, so for the present price its a great deal for
> architectural shooting if you use Iso 100. Add to that I.S., swivel Lcd,
> and live preview. To get a dslr and lens to compete would likely cost
> 16-1800. It probably hasnt sold since it is a specific use camera , and
> big. For 650 or so buy it.

I think if I shot a lot or architecture, I'd want a tilt-shift lens. While
you can correct in PS, image quality will suffer some.

emrlaw@att.net

I have an R1 and it takes the best photos of any camera I've ever had,
by far. I don't need multiple lenses, so it works perfectly for me. It
takes great portraits, has all the manual controls I need, and is also
great for my online auction photos. I think it's a great camera. (Just
my 2 cents, anyway...)

Alfred Molon

In article <4553c689$0$19881$(E-Mail Removed)> , Kinon
O'cann says...

> >> How did you get along in life before this cam appeared? What camera
> >> offered
> >> that combination prior to this one?

> > Tons of other cameras with a smaller sensor.

> Right, so none of them worked for you prior to the R1?

They didn't have 10MP. I bought an R1 to have a higher pixel count.
--

Alfred Molon

zbosnjak@globalnet.hr

Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
> A Canon or Nikon entry level DSLR with an appropriate lens would be fine.
> Maybe a little more, maybe a little less oney, but a far better system. And,
> if you want to shoot RAW, forget the Sony. 10 seconds between shots?!
> Please! A total waste of time.

But I don't want a system! I like to take good photos, but it isn't my
fulltime hobby - I'm not willing to spend any more money I need to get
them to my acceptable level (which indeed has risen from first buying
the A70, but if I choose to invest more time and money into
photography, I'll sell itand then get a system). I'm not planning
taking any lenses in the near future and I really like images from R1
and don't like from Canon or Nikon.
I am thinking about Pentax because of IS for shooting in lower light,
and I really liked autofocus and viewfinder, but it's quality of images
that counts after all and they suck unless better glass is attached.
Only thing stopping me from marching into store is the weight and size
of R1. Pentax is really small DSLR suitable for carrying it around for
all day...

Kinon O'Cann

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
>> A Canon or Nikon entry level DSLR with an appropriate lens would be fine.
>> Maybe a little more, maybe a little less oney, but a far better system.
>> And,
>> if you want to shoot RAW, forget the Sony. 10 seconds between shots?!
>> Please! A total waste of time.
>>

> But I don't want a system! I like to take good photos, but it isn't my
> fulltime hobby - I'm not willing to spend any more money I need to get
> them to my acceptable level (which indeed has risen from first buying
> the A70, but if I choose to invest more time and money into
> photography, I'll sell itand then get a system). I'm not planning
> taking any lenses in the near future and I really like images from R1
> and don't like from Canon or Nikon.
> I am thinking about Pentax because of IS for shooting in lower light,
> and I really liked autofocus and viewfinder, but it's quality of images
> that counts after all and they suck unless better glass is attached.
> Only thing stopping me from marching into store is the weight and size
> of R1. Pentax is really small DSLR suitable for carrying it around for
> all day...

If you want IS, that rules out the R1; doesn't have it. maybe you should
consider one of the other ZLRs like the Panasonic FZ50, or the Canon S3?
Nice images, IS, but not so good at high ISOs.

sismis

"Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uu15h.34$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
> >> A Canon or Nikon entry level DSLR with an appropriate lens would be

fine.
> >> Maybe a little more, maybe a little less oney, but a far better system.
> >> And,
> >> if you want to shoot RAW, forget the Sony. 10 seconds between shots?!
> >> Please! A total waste of time.
> >>

> > But I don't want a system! I like to take good photos, but it isn't my
> > fulltime hobby - I'm not willing to spend any more money I need to get
> > them to my acceptable level (which indeed has risen from first buying
> > the A70, but if I choose to invest more time and money into
> > photography, I'll sell itand then get a system). I'm not planning
> > taking any lenses in the near future and I really like images from R1
> > and don't like from Canon or Nikon.
> > I am thinking about Pentax because of IS for shooting in lower light,
> > and I really liked autofocus and viewfinder, but it's quality of images
> > that counts after all and they suck unless better glass is attached.
> > Only thing stopping me from marching into store is the weight and size
> > of R1. Pentax is really small DSLR suitable for carrying it around for
> > all day...

> If you want IS, that rules out the R1; doesn't have it. maybe you should
> consider one of the other ZLRs like the Panasonic FZ50, or the Canon S3?
> Nice images, IS, but not so good at high ISOs.

I dunno how much help IS really is, but FZ50 has a terrible noise even at
lowest ISO. And image quality on it or S3 or H5 at greater focal lengths are
more for documentary purposes, and I rarely need them unlike wide angle...
My opinion is that ZLR's doesn't cost that much less than entry-level DSLR-s
and are too bulky to have them with you all the time like slim P&S (like
Ixus). So if I have to carry that bulk, it could be 2 centimeters bigger
with much greater image quality.

I am torn right now between lightness and usability of Pentax and
out-of-the-box image quality from bulkier and heavier Sony. Damn

m Ransley

The sony R1 starts at Iso 160 and is prodably noise free at 400+ where
as the Fz 50 is good only at iso 100, so the IS of other cameras could
be a draw with the R1s better sensor. dpreview stated something to the
effect that you are getting a 900$ lens. So figure it this way, you are
getting a 900$ lens for 650 and the camera free, and your sensor won`t
get any dust on it..

sismis

"m Ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The sony R1 starts at Iso 160 and is prodably noise free at 400+ where
> as the Fz 50 is good only at iso 100, so the IS of other cameras could
> be a draw with the R1s better sensor. dpreview stated something to the
> effect that you are getting a 900$ lens. So figure it this way, you are
> getting a 900$ lens for 650 and the camera free, and your sensor won`t
> get any dust on it..

That's my rasoning exactly!

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, m Ransley
says...
> The sony R1 starts at Iso 160 and is prodably noise free at 400+

Well... the R1 has some noise at ISO 160 and is definitely noise free at
ISO 400. Better not to use ISO 800 if you can avoid it. My guess is that
the R1 has some kind of strong read noise which impacts the image,
particurlarly at higher ISOs. It's a constant noise level which means
that the signal to noise ratio goes down as the ISO goes up.
--

Alfred Molon