Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Capture resize problem

Nikon Capture resize problem

Panos

On an Intel-based Mac, Nikon Capture NX does not run natively but under
the emulator that MacOS X provides. Take the inefficient code of this
application and to that add the emulation overhead. Can you imagine how
slow this thing runs on a Mac?

Still, the U-Point technology it features is superb for manipulating an
image.

Dennis Pogson

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:33:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dennis Pogson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Photoshop CS2 has a NEF plug-in, and gives you the option of using
>> this OR the Photoshop's own RAW setup when you load a NEF image. (It
>> defaults to the Nikon plug-in, so you have to remove this from the
>> plugins folder to use Photoshop RAW). I still occasionally use the
>> outdated version 4.2 Nikon Capture software with only 384 MB of ram,
>> but prefer Photoshop.

> I believe you mean the Nikon software installed the NEF plug-in when
> you installed it. It is not part of CS2. All the Nikon programs I've
> tried in the past (Capture, NikonView, PictureProject) had this
> annoying default behavior. This plug-in provides only the most
> minimal of adjustments and makes question why bother.

Sorry, I should have made it clear I installed CS2 first and yes, Capture
installed the plug-in without me asking.

Panos wrote:
> On an Intel-based Mac, Nikon Capture NX does not run natively but under
> the emulator that MacOS X provides. Take the inefficient code of this
> application and to that add the emulation overhead. Can you imagine how
> slow this thing runs on a Mac?

Sadly, through experience, yes I can.
Nikon is, I believe, if you'll pardon the expression, shooting itself
in the foot by releasing such poorly written software. It's a shame,
because the camera itself seems a great little piece of kit.

> Still, the U-Point technology it features is superb for manipulating an
> image.

I'm sorry, but I'm not young enough to wait for ever for this software
to demonstrate that.