Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which D camera ????

which D camera ????

Thomas T. Veldhouse

just bob <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:
> You really should add the Pentax to your list, the new K10D seems to have
> features big boys Canon and Nikon include only in their high-end cameras
> (spot metering, weather resistant) or not at all (image stabilization in the
> body, auto ISO, in-camera DNG raw).

The D80 has spot metering. As far as weather resistant, I think you will have
to elaborate, but unless it is sealed and made of metal, I don't know that
there is a huge advantage in this area over the competitor offerings. The D80
also offers auto-ISO. IS and DNG would be nice features in any camera body.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> And I think DNG is just another excuse for Adobe to gain market
> share - it offers little to end users since all current DSLRs have RAW
> file formats.

That is the whole point. I think it must get tiring for software engineers to
have to support so many DIFFERENT FORMATS. Why? DNG is built on the TIFF
spec and is wonderfully versatile. The spec is also open, yet retains space
for vendors to put in proprietary information if they want it there. I can
see no downside to using DNG.

> To each their own, but the only thing I like about the K10D is the
> weather seals. It doesn't offer much else that the others don't offer
> in some form or another.

There are two companies that lead the market WAY in advance of all its
competitors, and that is Nikon and Canon. Currently, I am not sure it is wise
to invest in another system if you are just getting started as it is
questionable if they will be around in the future and their systems tend to be
more limitted in scope compared to the market leaders. I think these systems
likely appeal to film users that already have a large glass investment in the
system already.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bill

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5l%4h.2596$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> And I think DNG is just another excuse for Adobe to gain market
>> share - it offers little to end users since all current DSLRs have
>> RAW
>> file formats.

> That is the whole point. I think it must get tiring for software
> engineers to
> have to support so many DIFFERENT FORMATS. Why?

I know, and I agree. But until everyone agrees on a common format that
is not compressed, DNG is just another formt to add to the list of
formats available. The only other universal format we have now, is
JPG, but it's compressed so it's not as good as RAW for tweakers.

>> To each their own, but the only thing I like about the K10D is the
>> weather seals. It doesn't offer much else that the others don't
>> offer
>> in some form or another.

> There are two companies that lead the market WAY in advance of all
> its
> competitors, and that is Nikon and Canon. Currently, I am not sure
> it is wise
> to invest in another system if you are just getting started as it is

Oh don't confuse me with an interested party. I said I like the idea
of seals, not that I want a Pentax. I just switched from Canon to
Nikon to get my grubby little hands on the D80. Great camera.

Barry Pearson

On Nov 9, 9:23 pm, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]
> But until that happens, I see no benefit to DNG. If Canon, Nikon, and
> every other camera company starts to support DNG natively, then I'll
> be more than happy to agree with you that it has benefits. Until then,
> I'm just not interested in it.

The reason for our apparent disagreement appears to be that I am saying
there are benefits for some photographers, but not all. You are saying
that you see no benefits for you.

These views are compatible! We would only really be disagreeing if you
said that there are no benefits for any photographers.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/