Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT-GroundPepper

OT-GroundPepper

Ron Hunter

Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:
> Stewy wrote:
>
>> As an aficionado of coffee, I not only grow the beans, roast them and
>> grind them, I also drink coffee - Nescafe included when I'm too busy
>> to roast. But, coffee is a bean and like peppercorns should be ground
>> just before consumption - let 48 hours pass between grinding and
>> consumption and 20% of the flavour is lost. At 72 hours it's 30%.
>> Keeping ground coffee in a (full) airtight container in the deep
>> freeze will help but if you want the fullest flavour, HAND grind
>> every time you brew coffee - and that goes for peppercorns too!

> Ah! Now you are talking! I agree, if you can't do it right why bother.
>
>> Throw away those useless labour-saving gadgets, Americans. You have
>> nothing to lose but your weight.

> Yes, if you seen all the fat lard-ass whales we have on this side of the
> pond it would make you sick. They throw the old feedbag on and let the
> mind
> go on autopilot while they graze away. Of course, they can always get
> their
> stomachs stapled or take a pill, it's the American way.
>

> Rita

Well, this 'fat lard-ass' at least knows how to use the language.
Perhaps the fat on the ass is better than the fat in the brain.
'yes if you seen....' indeed!
Sigh.

Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:04:11 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Yes, BUT. If the peppermill is not used often, NIMH batteries may be a
>> poor choice as they have a large 'self-discharge' problem. Look for
>> 'eneloop NIMH batteries' if you can find them as they have minimal
>> self-discharge.

> Good first point, but not the latter. Eneloops self-discharge is
> so low that the owner won't realize that they'll need to be
> recharged until it's too late. Actually, it wouldn't be *too* bad,
> since even with a dead Eneloop cell or two (out of the original 6),
> assuming that the dead one(s) don't hinder recharging, the remaining
> 4 or 5 cells can keep the peppermill cranking for at least a couple
> of additional charge cycles, maybe 4 to 6 years in all. But for the
> cost of one set of Eneloops, you'd be able to buy enough alkalines
> to keep the peppermill running for up to a couple of decades.
> Eneloops seem to be ideal for moderate use in cameras.

I would assume that a person with enough disposable funds to buy an
appliance like the one under discussion wouldn't balk at paying a bit
more for batteries that are less likely to leave him manually grinding
his peppercorns. Grin.
BTW, what is the pricing like for the eneloop batteries. I am afraid to
look.

mark_digitalę

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> ASAAR wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:04:11 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, BUT. If the peppermill is not used often, NIMH batteries may be a
>>> poor choice as they have a large 'self-discharge' problem. Look for
>>> 'eneloop NIMH batteries' if you can find them as they have minimal
>>> self-discharge.

>> Good first point, but not the latter. Eneloops self-discharge is
>> so low that the owner won't realize that they'll need to be
>> recharged until it's too late. Actually, it wouldn't be *too* bad,
>> since even with a dead Eneloop cell or two (out of the original 6),
>> assuming that the dead one(s) don't hinder recharging, the remaining
>> 4 or 5 cells can keep the peppermill cranking for at least a couple
>> of additional charge cycles, maybe 4 to 6 years in all. But for the
>> cost of one set of Eneloops, you'd be able to buy enough alkalines
>> to keep the peppermill running for up to a couple of decades.
>> Eneloops seem to be ideal for moderate use in cameras.
>>

> I would assume that a person with enough disposable funds to buy an
> appliance like the one under discussion wouldn't balk at paying a bit more
> for batteries that are less likely to leave him manually grinding his
> peppercorns. Grin.
> BTW, what is the pricing like for the eneloop batteries. I am afraid to
> look.

Hi Ron
I can't believe nobody else has an electric peppermill.
The darn thing only cost 24.95 (US) and I had a five dollar off coupon.
I didn't buy it 'cause I have arthritis. I bought it because the pepper
comes out the TOP instead of the bottom, thus no mess. Besides, the grind is
fully adjustable from course to fine. All one has to do is tilt it over the
food and it automatically turns on.

Everyone here using a hand grinder leave a small pile where ever it's put
down. There's no way around it. I like to keep my tablecloths clean.

When it's used it sounds similiar to an electric pencil sharpener.

mark_

mark_digitalę

"Rita ─ Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an electric
> grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest and most
> irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric coffee mill to
> grind coffee. The intense heat from the friction destroys any flavors and
> aroma you had in the peppercorns. Always hand grind your peppercorns or
> buy
> that garbage McCormick sells.

Here's a link. Odd, it says batteries included. Thats not true.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13909610

ASAAR

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 03:28:01 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

> I would assume that a person with enough disposable funds to buy an
> appliance like the one under discussion wouldn't balk at paying a bit
> more for batteries that are less likely to leave him manually grinding
> his peppercorns. Grin.

Or hire someone to do their daily grind.

> BTW, what is the pricing like for the eneloop batteries. I am afraid
> to look.

IIRC, someone recently mentioned that a 4-pack was $12 at Ritz.

Gary C

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> frederick wrote:

[snip]

> Shirley, you don't mean to be offensive, do you?
>
> -
> john mcwilliams

Why did you call Frederick, Shirley?

George Kerby

On 11/7/06 3:25 AM, in article
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Ron Hunter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:
>> Stewy wrote:
>>
>>> As an aficionado of coffee, I not only grow the beans, roast them and
>>> grind them, I also drink coffee - Nescafe included when I'm too busy
>>> to roast. But, coffee is a bean and like peppercorns should be ground
>>> just before consumption - let 48 hours pass between grinding and
>>> consumption and 20% of the flavour is lost. At 72 hours it's 30%.
>>> Keeping ground coffee in a (full) airtight container in the deep
>>> freeze will help but if you want the fullest flavour, HAND grind
>>> every time you brew coffee - and that goes for peppercorns too!

>> Ah! Now you are talking! I agree, if you can't do it right why bother.
>>
>>> Throw away those useless labour-saving gadgets, Americans. You have
>>> nothing to lose but your weight.

>> Yes, if you seen all the fat lard-ass whales we have on this side of the
>> pond it would make you sick. They throw the old feedbag on and let the
>> mind
>> go on autopilot while they graze away. Of course, they can always get
>> their
>> stomachs stapled or take a pill, it's the American way.
>>

>> Rita
>>

> Well, this 'fat lard-ass' at least knows how to use the language.
> Perhaps the fat on the ass is better than the fat in the brain.
> 'yes if you seen....' indeed!
> Sigh.

It's just Lovely Rita's way of expressing his/her new found 'Ebonics' that
was acquired via mail order, along with the custom-made coffee filter, for
free, of coarse!

John McWilliams

Gary C wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> frederick wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>
>> Shirley, you don't mean to be offensive, do you?
>>
>> -
>> john mcwilliams

> Why did you call Frederick, Shirley?

Surely you missed the thread that included a wide variety of this type
of thing. Perhaps because, on reflection, it may have been another NG.
Surely, my bad.

--
john mcwilliams

Gary C

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary C wrote:
>> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> frederick wrote:
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>>> Shirley, you don't mean to be offensive, do you?
>>>
>>> -
>>> john mcwilliams

>> Why did you call Frederick, Shirley?

> Surely you missed the thread that included a wide variety of this type of
> thing. Perhaps because, on reflection, it may have been another NG.
> Surely, my bad.
>
> --
> john mcwilliams

Leslie Nielsen - Airplane (1980)

Rumack: I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!

Marvin

frederick wrote:
> Greg Guarino wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:48:08 -0500, "mark_digitalę"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed 6 freshly charged AAA batteries (niMH) in a new pepper
>>> mill. I was told it's a good idea to use them instead of use-once
>>> type batteries because they can provide better torque for an extended
>>> time. I simply wanted to avoid paying more for batteries than the
>>> peppercorns, and I didn't want leakage.
>>> The mill was a little on the expensive side but at least it doesn't
>>> leave pepper all over when it's put down. I picked it up at Bed Bath
>>> and Beyond. I'm thinking about getting another one to grind sea salt.
>>> So, am I doing the right thing by using rechargables?
>>> mark_

>> I like pepper. A lot. I use an unreasonable amount of it on my food.
>> My pepper grinder runs on a renewable energy source as well, which is
>> derived mostly from starchy foods and stored in excess adipose tissue.
>> No batteries needed.
>> Greg Guarino

> Same here - it's a spice used at the table. There's something nice
> about using a good pepper grinder at the table. For salt, I prefer sea
> salt - either pre-ground in a pestle and mortar, or preferably the
> expensive flaky sea salt (Maldon), put in a small bowl on the table, and
> taken out in small pinches.
> I expect that the OP is American.

It used to be popular for waiters in U.S. restaurants to
bring an electric pepper mill to the table, often one with
with a light built in. Perhaps working the mill by hand was
frowned on by OSHA as a cause of repetitive motion syndrome.
I haven't seen one for some time now.