Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT-GroundPepper

OT-GroundPepper

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

mark_digitalę wrote:

> I installed 6 freshly charged AAA batteries (niMH) in a new pepper
> mill. I was told it's a good idea to use them instead of use-once
> type batteries because they can provide better torque for an extended
> time. I simply wanted to avoid paying more for batteries than the
> peppercorns, and I didn't want leakage.
> The mill was a little on the expensive side but at least it doesn't
> leave pepper all over when it's put down. I picked it up at Bed Bath
> and Beyond. I'm thinking about getting another one to grind sea salt.
> So, am I doing the right thing by using rechargables?

For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an electric
grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest and most
irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric coffee mill to
grind coffee. The intense heat from the friction destroys any flavors and
aroma you had in the peppercorns. Always hand grind your peppercorns or buy
that garbage McCormick sells.

Rita

John McWilliams

frederick wrote:
> Greg Guarino wrote:

>>> Same here - it's a spice used at the table. There's something nice
>>> about using a good pepper grinder at the table. For salt, I prefer
>>> sea salt - either pre-ground in a pestle and mortar, or preferably
>>> the expensive flaky sea salt (Maldon), put in a small bowl on the
>>> table, and taken out in small pinches.
>>> I expect that the OP is American.

>> So am I.
>> Greg Guarino

> Perhaps being American doesn't mean that that you see electric pepper
> and salt grinders as useful, but seeing them as useful might mean that
> you're American?

Well, fine, I wouldn't disagree, and you'll not know whether I'm a Yank,
a Brit, 'Strain, other English speaking, or completely Continental. I
look Caucasian.

But pointing out such little things can be offensive.

Shirley, you don't mean to be offensive, do you?

-
john mcwilliams

John McWilliams

Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:
> mark_digitalę wrote:
>
>> I installed 6 freshly charged AAA batteries (niMH) in a new pepper
>> mill. I was told it's a good idea to use them instead of use-once
>> type batteries because they can provide better torque for an extended
>> time. I simply wanted to avoid paying more for batteries than the
>> peppercorns, and I didn't want leakage.
>> The mill was a little on the expensive side but at least it doesn't
>> leave pepper all over when it's put down. I picked it up at Bed Bath
>> and Beyond. I'm thinking about getting another one to grind sea salt.
>> So, am I doing the right thing by using rechargables?

> For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an electric
> grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest and most
> irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric coffee mill to
> grind coffee.

The right type of coffee mill has no deleterious effect on the resultant
grounds, and is much more pleasant than hand grinding.

More is lost in improper brewing than by poor grinding, by a factor of
6.8 x.

--
john mcwilliams

way too low.

BR549

"Rita ─ Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark_digitalę wrote:
>
>> I installed 6 freshly charged AAA batteries (niMH) in a new pepper
>> mill. I was told it's a good idea to use them instead of use-once
>> type batteries because they can provide better torque for an extended
>> time. I simply wanted to avoid paying more for batteries than the
>> peppercorns, and I didn't want leakage.
>> The mill was a little on the expensive side but at least it doesn't
>> leave pepper all over when it's put down. I picked it up at Bed Bath
>> and Beyond. I'm thinking about getting another one to grind sea salt.
>> So, am I doing the right thing by using rechargables?

> For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an electric
> grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest and most
> irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric coffee mill to
> grind coffee. The intense heat from the friction destroys any flavors and
> aroma you had in the peppercorns. Always hand grind your peppercorns or
> buy
> that garbage McCormick sells.

Give me a break, "Intense heat" from a battery operated pepper mill, I think
not. If you engaged the pepper mill for 30 seconds (enough ground pepper
for several weeks) I doubt if the grinding mechanism would even get warm.

Jim Townsend

Charles Schuler wrote:

> "Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>

>> I use rechargeables in ALL my electronic gadgets, (Except for a couple of
>> IR remote controls for the TV etc which use AAA cells). I even use them
>> in my little desktop battery powered pencil sharpener.

> And the self-discharge time is OK?

Yes.. I use them in my wireless mouse. It has no shutoff switch and
the red LED is flashing all the time. I get a month easily out of a
charge with my NiMH batteries.

> Flashlights are another issue. Most folks use them
> infrequently, but would really like them to work when they need them
> (rechargeable alkalines suck in this case).

I do have a three 'D' cell flashlight that I use non rechargeable alkalines
in. But I also have two AA cell flash lights and I use NiMH batteries in
them. They've never been flat when I've wanted to use them.

George Kerby

On 11/6/06 4:16 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Rita ─
Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> mark_digitalę wrote:
>
>> I installed 6 freshly charged AAA batteries (niMH) in a new pepper
>> mill. I was told it's a good idea to use them instead of use-once
>> type batteries because they can provide better torque for an extended
>> time. I simply wanted to avoid paying more for batteries than the
>> peppercorns, and I didn't want leakage.
>> The mill was a little on the expensive side but at least it doesn't
>> leave pepper all over when it's put down. I picked it up at Bed Bath
>> and Beyond. I'm thinking about getting another one to grind sea salt.
>> So, am I doing the right thing by using rechargables?

> For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an electric
> grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest and most
> irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric coffee mill to
> grind coffee. The intense heat from the friction destroys any flavors and
> aroma you had in the peppercorns. Always hand grind your peppercorns or buy
> that garbage McCormick sells.

Charming Rita the Culture Maid,

Perhaps the O.P. Just *might* have an impairment, such as maybe - I donno -
maybe arthritis, preventing him/her <<(you can relate), from performing the
task without the help of an electric device. But I'm so sure that you took
this in consideration before posting your gracious suggestion, and will
immediately follow your very civil instructions.

Urbanely yours,

*GK

frederick

John McWilliams wrote:
> frederick wrote:
>> Greg Guarino wrote:

>>> So am I.
>>> Greg Guarino

>> Perhaps being American doesn't mean that that you see electric pepper
>> and salt grinders as useful, but seeing them as useful might mean that
>> you're American?

> Well, fine, I wouldn't disagree, and you'll not know whether I'm a Yank,
> a Brit, 'Strain, other English speaking, or completely Continental. I
> look Caucasian.
>
> But pointing out such little things can be offensive.
>
> Shirley, you don't mean to be offensive, do you?

Of course not, I'd never do that!

If offense could be taken from what I have said above, then that is
*entirely* in the mind of the reader.
Because of course I have not stated that there is anything *inferior*
about using an electric pepper grinder, an electric carving knife,
scooping up peas or beans with a fork, or eating chappatis with your
left hand.

BR549 wrote:

>> For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an
>> electric grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest
>> and most irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric
>> coffee mill to grind coffee. The intense heat from the friction
>> destroys any flavors and aroma you had in the peppercorns. Always
>> hand grind your peppercorns or buy
>> that garbage McCormick sells.

> Give me a break, "Intense heat" from a battery operated pepper mill,
> I think not. If you engaged the pepper mill for 30 seconds (enough
> ground pepper for several weeks) I doubt if the grinding mechanism
> would even get warm.

Absolutely destructive on a molecular level! Just because you can't feel the
heat doesn't mean that damage hasn't been done. Then again, if you have
ground enough pepper for several weeks you probably wouldn't be able to
taste the difference between pepper and gypsum. Pepper should only be hand
ground on an as needed basis for maximum flavor and aroma.

Rita

John McWilliams wrote:

>> For Christ's sake! Did I read right? Are you saying you use an
>> electric grinder to grind peppercorns? This is by far the dumbest
>> and most irresponsible thing one can do next to using an electric
>> coffee mill to grind coffee.

> The right type of coffee mill has no deleterious effect on the
> resultant grounds, and is much more pleasant than hand grinding.

The right type of mill is key to success. I've seen some that I wouldn't
grind KNO3 in.

> More is lost in improper brewing than by poor grinding, by a factor of
> 6.8 x.

If you mean not using a perfect 200* water temp and using improper filters I
can agree with you. The main culprit is the wrong filter. The best filter
is made from 500-mesh double-Dutch weave stainless steel, custom made of
course. Solid particulates will kill a pot of coffee.

Rita

ASAAR

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:15:35 +1300, frederick wrote:

> Perhaps being American doesn't mean that that you see electric pepper
> and salt grinders as useful, but seeing them as useful might mean that
> you're American?

It more likely means that one is addicted to buying gadgets,
especially from catalogs, or has old, arthritic wrists and fingers.
Whether Americans rank high on the list is unknown by me, but it's
probably lower than it would have been a decade or two ago, due to
most American's reduced (and still declining) disposable income.