Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Slide copy adapter for Canon 180mm macro?

Slide copy adapter for Canon 180mm macro?

J David Ellis

Anybody know if there is such a product available?

I want to use that lens attached to an EOS-10D for copying
dozens of slides. The 10D's small sensor requires about ten
inches between lens and slide. Makeshift setups are hard to
use because I can't maintain consistent alignment, such as
having slide and sensor parallel.

Suggestions appreciated.

--David

tomm42

On Nov 5, 6:39 pm, J David Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anybody know if there is such a product available?
>
> I want to use that lens attached to an EOS-10D for copying
> dozens of slides. The 10D's small sensor requires about ten
> inches between lens and slide. Makeshift setups are hard to
> use because I can't maintain consistent alignment, such as
> having slide and sensor parallel.
>
> Suggestions appreciated.
>
> --David

One of the best ways to do this is with a slide duplicator, not a lens
attachment. This is a fixed system, a copy stand is the other
alternative. The 180mm is not the best choice for this, a 60mm, 90mm or
100mm are better not requiring so much distance. If you want something
that attaches to the lens it would be rather unweildy at 10 inches in
length.
I use a Kaiser copy stand and a Bessler slide duplicator, both work
well. Generally use a 50mm macro with the copy stand (or my Nikon 995)
and a Nikon D200 on the Bessler with an 80mm slide duplicating lens.
Both methods work fine, with the copy stand you need a light source, a
lightbox works well, just use black paper to mask around the slide. If
you are going to do a lot of this the Kaiser copystand is a good
investment, relatively small and sturdy. The best solution is a slide
duplicating system, generally you can find them on Ebay for reasonable
$.

Tom

J David Ellis

tomm42 wrote:

> On Nov 5, 6:39 pm, J David Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Anybody know if there is such a product available?
>>
>> I want to use that lens attached to an EOS-10D for copying
>> dozens of slides. The 10D's small sensor requires about ten
>> inches between lens and slide. Makeshift setups are hard to
>> use because I can't maintain consistent alignment, such as
>> having slide and sensor parallel.
>>
>> Suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> --David

> One of the best ways to do this is with a slide duplicator, not a lens
> attachment. This is a fixed system, a copy stand is the other
> alternative. The 180mm is not the best choice for this, a 60mm, 90mm or
> 100mm are better not requiring so much distance. If you want something
> that attaches to the lens it would be rather unweildy at 10 inches in
> length.
> I use a Kaiser copy stand and a Bessler slide duplicator, both work
> well. Generally use a 50mm macro with the copy stand (or my Nikon 995)
> and a Nikon D200 on the Bessler with an 80mm slide duplicating lens.
> Both methods work fine, with the copy stand you need a light source, a
> lightbox works well, just use black paper to mask around the slide. If
> you are going to do a lot of this the Kaiser copystand is a good
> investment, relatively small and sturdy. The best solution is a slide
> duplicating system, generally you can find them on Ebay for reasonable
> $.
>
> Tom

Thank you, Tom, for the thoughtful reply. A big help.
Please consider this thread closed.
--David