Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Focus problem on Canon S3 IS

Focus problem on Canon S3 IS

David J Taylor

DubDriver wrote:
[]
> Do you know that the OP is in the UK? If so, yes for the first 6
> months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods
> did conform to contract (i.e. were not inherently faulty) then after
> and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove
> the lack of conformity but at any time compensation can vary in the
> form of a repair, replacement or full refund. A *full* refund applies
> only if you reject goods in a resonable space of time which could be
> as little as 30 days depending on type of product, after that short
> period a partial refund taking into account any beneficial use could
> be taken into account (if buyer chose to reject a repair). The point
> is that, the retailer is responsible up to six years, the
> manufacturer has no responsibility what so ever and so any guarantee
> supplied by them either adds or detract from your rights under
> consumer law depending on which point in time it goes wrong and you
> can choose to ignore unless result is ultimately better than claiming
> from retailer.

It's the two months to discover the fault which would worry me in this
case. It's rather a long time. If copy work was what the camera was
bought for, it should have been checked right away. It may also be that
the camera was correct when supplied, but has become faulty in those two
months, in which case I understand that replacement or refund is not
mandatory, and that offering a repair may meet legal requirements, so the
OP could be without the camera for several weeks. In any case, I hope the
OP can resolve this with his supplier.

I don't know if the US or Canada has similar protection to Europe.

David

ozbloke