Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > looking for feed back before purchase

looking for feed back before purchase

map

hi everyone,

after reading lots of reviews, I'm looking for users feedback before
purchasing my 1st DSLR.
does anyone have experience with the 400D and the D80?
(I took both in a shop. D80 is certainly more comfortable and feels more
robust but I use a light weight F75 for years that has a handgrip about
between the 400d and the d80)
I will probably buy the sigma 17-70 f2.8/4.5 or the tamron 17-50 f2.8.
again, experience with those?
(If I choose the D80, I'll perhaps take the 17-135 but I couldn't find
any review. (but there is already a recent post for that topic) )
I read tamron is better quality and tokina worst. can a lens break or
collect dust after years of non professional use?
last thing : the 400D handgrip is too small for me but I imagine to
emprove it with some rubber : the one used for tennis raquets. any idea
about that?

thank you very much for sharing multiple experience/ideas.

bmoag

If you are planning to buy lenses and not leverage an existing collection of
autofocus lenses you have an abundance of choices.
My personal preference is for the D80. The Nikon D200/80/70 dSLRs have very
sophisticated programming and options that distinguish them from other
cameras using the ubiquitous sony made imaging sensors.
My personal opinion is that dSLRs are very heavy point and shoot cameras if
you only plan to shoot jpegs. In addition to camera and lenses an investment
in an imaging processing program, and particularly investing the time to
learn the basics, so you can shoot in raw will improve your results more
than anything. These dSLRs are more sophisticated than the F75 and to get
the most out of them require familiarity with the peculiarities of digital
imaging as well as general photography.
You can get excellent results more simply with a more advanced P&S type
camera, e,g, the long zooms with built in image stabilization.
If you do not already have Nikon autofocus lenses you may want to look into
the Sony Alpha. It has the same sensor as the Nikon plus vibration reduction
built into the camera body and the kit 17-80 lens is highly rated. The Nikon
has more sophisticated in camera processing options and controls but you may
never even be aware these exist.
The 18-70 Nikon kit lens is an excellent value and you may want to consider
geting this with the camera unless you need the f2.8 aperture for some
specific reason. The Tamron and Sigma perform comparably to the Nikon and
Sony kit lenses and are probably better than the comparable Canon kit
lenses. The Nikon 18-135 is an unknown and early written reviews are not
always trustworthy. However the only really horrible lens in the Nikon
catalogue is the 55-200.
If you like Canons, go with Canon. If you wait a month or so Pentax will be
out with a comparable 10mp sony sensor camera.
And the truth is that 6mp sensors have more than enough picture information
for the vast majority of users.

map

bmoag a écrit :
> If you are planning to buy lenses and not leverage an existing collection of
> autofocus lenses you have an abundance of choices.
> My personal preference is for the D80. The Nikon D200/80/70 dSLRs have very
> sophisticated programming and options that distinguish them from other
> cameras using the ubiquitous sony made imaging sensors.
> My personal opinion is that dSLRs are very heavy point and shoot cameras if
> you only plan to shoot jpegs. In addition to camera and lenses an investment
> in an imaging processing program, and particularly investing the time to
> learn the basics, so you can shoot in raw will improve your results more
> than anything. These dSLRs are more sophisticated than the F75 and to get
> the most out of them require familiarity with the peculiarities of digital
> imaging as well as general photography.
> You can get excellent results more simply with a more advanced P&S type
> camera, e,g, the long zooms with built in image stabilization.
> If you do not already have Nikon autofocus lenses you may want to look into
> the Sony Alpha. It has the same sensor as the Nikon plus vibration reduction
> built into the camera body and the kit 17-80 lens is highly rated. The Nikon
> has more sophisticated in camera processing options and controls but you may
> never even be aware these exist.
> The 18-70 Nikon kit lens is an excellent value and you may want to consider
> geting this with the camera unless you need the f2.8 aperture for some
> specific reason. The Tamron and Sigma perform comparably to the Nikon and
> Sony kit lenses and are probably better than the comparable Canon kit
> lenses. The Nikon 18-135 is an unknown and early written reviews are not
> always trustworthy. However the only really horrible lens in the Nikon
> catalogue is the 55-200.
> If you like Canons, go with Canon. If you wait a month or so Pentax will be
> out with a comparable 10mp sony sensor camera.
> And the truth is that 6mp sensors have more than enough picture information
> for the vast majority of users.

thank you for your extensive answer.
to go further, I'm interested in dSLR for the viewfinder, sensitivity
and control. I think I'll get only the jpg for 90% of my shootings,
but for particular contrasty or particular pictures, I'll use the raw
and post process. I don't know for the moment how this will take time :
I wonder if it is possible to write scripts and apply on a set of
images. for a few shots, i'll probably want to correct barrel distortion
and vigneting but I don't know if it is easy (for exemple by getting the
good parameters out of the jpeg/raw file)
the sony dSLR is also interesting but is the first of sony and I think
it is possible that in 5/10 years sony stops digital photography as
minoltat did (yes, it is not highly probable). it is less risky for
canon and nikon I guess.
you said the sony kit 17-80 lens is highly rated. where did you find a
review? I couldn't find one.
(f2.8 is interesting for me 'cause I like shooting indoor without flash
or just a little fillin flash and I love dark atmospheres)