Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens opinions?

Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens opinions?

Steven Wandy

Anyone have this lens? Opinions?
I have an Olympus system and am considering getting it.
Thanks

David Sommers

I just got this exact lens with a Four Thirds mount for my Panasonic L1. So
far, so good. I got it because I wanted to have a fast normal lens that
would give me a shooting perspective similar to what I had in the bad old
days with my Minolta SRT-101 with its 50mm f1.2. Like I said, so far, so
good. I taken several test shots and find that it does give me that very
shallow depth of field I was looking for. I plan to use it for portraiture
and still life stuff where I want to have that wonderfully shallow depth of
field. I do not yet have an opinion of what happens in the corners, as I
have been deliberately having only the center of the subject be in focus.
After a photo buddy warned me that Sigma, in his opinion, did not exercise
the level of quality control he would want, I tested for the ability of the
lens to auto-focus properly, and paid attention to the quality of the focus
ring action. Both seemed good to me.

Bye.

> I have an Olympus system and am considering getting it.
> Thanks

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have this lens? Opinions?
> I have an Olympus system and am considering getting it.
> Thanks

Steven Wandy

Thanks Dave,
I was interested in this lens because it reminded me of my good ole
days with my Minolta SLR and a 50mm 1.4 lens attached.
I am primarily interested in low light shooting - as I really don't
like the look of flash shots.
Steve

Walter Hofmann

Steven Wandy <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
> Anyone have this lens? Opinions?

I had problems with mine in the Amazon: first the autofous wouldn't work
anymore, then the aperture got stuck. My Nikon lenses performed fine
there. The Sigma slowly returned to normal operation once it was back at
<100% humidity for a couple of days. Otherwise I really like this lens.

Walter