Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Versatile macro lens cor digital Canon D30?

Versatile macro lens cor digital Canon D30?

TPK

Versatile macro lens

I am an old school photographer. Up until recently the equipment I used
was 4 x 5, 2.25 x 2.25 and 35 mm film. I'm used to using manual
settings and often a manual light meter (an old LunaPro).

Recently I purchased a Canon D30 digital camera. (Later I would like to
purchase a 35 mm file camera body that will work with most of the same
lenses.) I like the weight and feel of the camera, but the lens
mounting system is totally different from my old equipment. With that
in mind I have been trying to purchase lenses that do essentially what
my old equipment did.

I would like to hear some opinions about macro focusing lenses.

The lens I used to use a lot was a Vivitar zoom lens that had a macro
focusing setting (the forward elements actually re-positioned to allow
zoom macro focusing). Needless to say that lens isn't made any
longer.

The macro photography I used to do did not magnify enormously, what it
was great for was photographing flowers, plants and insects (I am
unsure what the magnification power ratio was for that old lens),
mostly objects about 3 inches across down to about .5 inches across.

Bearing in mind what I have mentioned in the previous paragraphs, what
would be a good versatile lens to use with my new digital equipment?
I'm not so concerned with price as I am usability. Are there any
users that have equipment they really like for this function? Equipment
that (with the Canon digital camera body) takes clear sharp photos?

Thank you,

TPK

Bill Hilton

The Canon 100 f/2.8 macro would fit the bill quite nicely ... will work
on the D30 and also on Canon digital bodies and goes to 1:1 lifesize
magnification w/o extension tubes. Very good optics.

Bill

>TPK wrote:
> Versatile macro lens
>
> I am an old school photographer. Up until recently the equipment I used
> was 4 x 5, 2.25 x 2.25 and 35 mm film. I'm used to using manual
> settings and often a manual light meter (an old LunaPro).
>
> Recently I purchased a Canon D30 digital camera. (Later I would like to
> purchase a 35 mm file camera body that will work with most of the same
> lenses.) I like the weight and feel of the camera, but the lens
> mounting system is totally different from my old equipment. With that
> in mind I have been trying to purchase lenses that do essentially what
> my old equipment did.
>
> I would like to hear some opinions about macro focusing lenses.
>
> The lens I used to use a lot was a Vivitar zoom lens that had a macro
> focusing setting (the forward elements actually re-positioned to allow
> zoom macro focusing). Needless to say that lens isn't made any
> longer.
>
> The macro photography I used to do did not magnify enormously, what it
> was great for was photographing flowers, plants and insects (I am
> unsure what the magnification power ratio was for that old lens),
> mostly objects about 3 inches across down to about .5 inches across.
>
> Bearing in mind what I have mentioned in the previous paragraphs, what
> would be a good versatile lens to use with my new digital equipment?
> I'm not so concerned with price as I am usability. Are there any
> users that have equipment they really like for this function? Equipment
> that (with the Canon digital camera body) takes clear sharp photos?
>
> Thank you,
>
> TPK

Skip

Out of curiosity, did you buy a D30 (3 megapixel) or a 30D (8 megapixel)
Canon camera?

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com