Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheapest Full Frame Digital Camera?

Cheapest Full Frame Digital Camera?

Bill Funk

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:08:12 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
wrote:

>>Aperture rings on lenses would be problematic; where would an aperture
>>ring go on a short zoom lens? There's already a zoom and focus ring.
>>And it would need another switch - manual/auto.
>>And there's the question of marketability; how many people want the
>>added cost and complexity? How many would buy such a lens? Probably
>>not many.

>I wouldn't put the aperture ring on the lens. I'd put an electronic
>dial on the lens-mount.
>
>-Joel

On the mount? How would it be operated? Would the mount be extended,
making other lenses unable to focus to infinity?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

MarkČ

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:14:48 +1000, Graham Fountain <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> MarkČ wrote:
>>
>>> Four: If you would prefer help as a new DSLR shooter from the modes
>>> which lesser Canon cameras have (Sports mode, Landscape mode,
>>> Macro, etc.)...it is assumed that you know how to do that, and you
>>> are therefore NOT given these modes--You've got to create the
>>> settings yourself.

>> What I want to know is - why do I have to spend $5k(AUS) to get rid
>> of this feature.
>> Why can't someone come out with a camera that has an aperture ring
>> and a shutter dial and that's it. Add a "match-the-needle"
>> viewfinder for good measure and we're done. The shutter dial could
>> have an A position for
>> the lazy, and the aperture ring could have an A position. Full auto -
>> both on A. Shutter on A, selected aperture = aperture priority.
>> Aperture on A, shutter selected = Shutter priority. Select both
>> aperture and shutter, and you have full manual. No messing around
>> with mode dials and wheels. No "push this button while turning the
>> wheel to select
>> aperture". Just simple straightforward and logical controls.
>> The 5D almost gets there, the new Pana sort of does it, but again
>> both
>> are expensive cameras. Why does a camera have to be expensive to be
>> simple?

> Aperture rings on lenses would be problematic; where would an aperture
> ring go on a short zoom lens? There's already a zoom and focus ring.
> And it would need another switch - manual/auto.
> And there's the question of marketability; how many people want the
> added cost and complexity? How many would buy such a lens? Probably
> not many.

I agree with that (by the way...your quote attributed words to me that I
didn't write...)
With the existing system, I adjust aperture and shutter identically...no
matter which lens I have attached to the camera. With rings on each lens,
there would be constant re-adjustment based on each lens' size and layout.
Body-based controls mean consistency across the entire line of
lenses...whether they're 400mm or 50mm.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Skip

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Bkl4h.4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The dials are simply digital controls, and they can go anywhere. Why
> not put them where the photographer's fingers are?
>
> (Am I right that Nikkon does a better job with this?)
>
> -Joel

Hmmm, I've found that the rear wheel falls readily to thumb when my index
finger is on the shutter button. This on my A2, 1n, D30, 20D and 5D.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y8o4h.63$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The dials are simply digital controls, and they can go anywhere. Why
>>> not put them where the photographer's fingers are?

>>It's placed almost exactly where my right thumb wants to rest. Works
>>just fine with that digit. My hands are average.

> I find that I have to move the camera from my eye to make room for my
> thumb to get to the dial. But other than that, it's a fine second
> choice, and certainly better than the Rebel's solution.
>
> -Joel

Yeah, my daughter has an Xt, and I find it impossible to navigate. OTOH,
she finds the 5D rather obscure...

--

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>> The 30D, which is meant to be an upgrade (and it does feel nicer to
>> hold), is even worse on the user interface. In Tv the dial near the
>> shutter changes shutter speed. In Av it changes aperture. In M, the
>> dial near the shutter does shutter speed, and it is now the back
>> dial for aperture. Depending on what mode we are in, the dial to
>> change aperture changes - pretty dumb situation. Not only that, but
>> the dial is in the most awkward possible position to try and access
>> if you are holding the camera to your face - it's awkward
>> positioning makes it even harder to use than pushing the +/- button
>> as on the Rebel.

> You get used to the back dial. (I did with the Elan IIe.) But of
> course you're right. If you're holding the camera properly, there are
> two places your hands can conveniently adjust things; near the
> shutter button, and on the lens.
>
> The dials are simply digital controls, and they can go anywhere. Why
> not put them where the photographer's fingers are?

I frankly don't see the problem here.
For me, the dials are a perfect fit, and completely natural in use.
In fact, the rear dial can be turned from within MORE than an inch of
area...depending on which side of the dial you choose to turn. This
actually offers greater variability of finger placement for each user.
Works for me... It also means you don't have to be sure your finger is on
the proper button. If you're touching the very large dial, you're there.
www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>>> The 30D, which is meant to be an upgrade (and it does feel nicer to
>>> hold), is even worse on the user interface. In Tv the dial near the
>>> shutter changes shutter speed. In Av it changes aperture. In M, the
>>> dial near the shutter does shutter speed, and it is now the back
>>> dial for aperture. Depending on what mode we are in, the dial to
>>> change aperture changes - pretty dumb situation. Not only that, but
>>> the dial is in the most awkward possible position to try and access
>>> if you are holding the camera to your face - it's awkward
>>> positioning makes it even harder to use than pushing the +/- button
>>> as on the Rebel.

>> You get used to the back dial. (I did with the Elan IIe.) But of
>> course you're right. If you're holding the camera properly, there
>> are two places your hands can conveniently adjust things; near the
>> shutter button, and on the lens.
>>
>> The dials are simply digital controls, and they can go anywhere. Why
>> not put them where the photographer's fingers are?

> I frankly don't see the problem here.
> For me, the dials are a perfect fit, and completely natural in use.
> In fact, the rear dial can be turned from within MORE than an inch of
> area...depending on which side of the dial you choose to turn. This
> actually offers greater variability of finger placement for each user.
> Works for me... It also means you don't have to be sure your finger
> is on the proper button. If you're touching the very large dial,
> you're there.

I'm referring to D30, 10D, 20D, 5D bodies.

www.pbase.com/markuson

eyalnevo@gmail.com

Graham Fountain wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
>
> > Four: If you would prefer help as a new DSLR shooter from the modes which
> > lesser Canon cameras have (Sports mode, Landscape mode, Macro, etc.)...it is
> > assumed that you know how to do that, and you are therefore NOT given these
> > modes--You've got to create the settings yourself.

> What I want to know is - why do I have to spend $5k(AUS) to get rid of
> this feature.
> Why can't someone come out with a camera that has an aperture ring and a
> shutter dial and that's it. Add a "match-the-needle" viewfinder for good
> measure and we're done. The shutter dial could have an A position for
> the lazy, and the aperture ring could have an A position. Full auto -
> both on A. Shutter on A, selected aperture = aperture priority. Aperture
> on A, shutter selected = Shutter priority. Select both aperture and
> shutter, and you have full manual. No messing around with mode dials and
> wheels. No "push this button while turning the wheel to select
> aperture". Just simple straightforward and logical controls.
> The 5D almost gets there, the new Pana sort of does it, but again both
> are expensive cameras. Why does a camera have to be expensive to be simple?
> >
> > These are just a few examples.

This is actually a great design idea. I miss the aparture ring!!!

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill Funk
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:08:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
>wrote:
>
>>>Aperture rings on lenses would be problematic; where would an aperture
>>>ring go on a short zoom lens? There's already a zoom and focus ring.
>>>And it would need another switch - manual/auto.
>>>And there's the question of marketability; how many people want the
>>>added cost and complexity? How many would buy such a lens? Probably
>>>not many.

>>I wouldn't put the aperture ring on the lens. I'd put an electronic
>>dial on the lens-mount.
>>
>>-Joel

>On the mount?

No problem.

> How would it be operated?

Thumb and/or forefinger of left hand.

>Would the mount be extended,
>making other lenses unable to focus to infinity?

No.

Ever seen the Nikormat or Olympus OM cameras with shutter dials on the
lens mount? No problem with focus of any lenses. Same position could
easily be used for an aperture (or even a shutter speed) control on a
DSLR today.
--
Kennedy

Bill Funk

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 03:29:11 +0000, Kennedy McEwen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill Funk
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>>I wouldn't put the aperture ring on the lens. I'd put an electronic
>>>dial on the lens-mount.
>>>
>>>-Joel

>>On the mount?

>No problem.
>
>> How would it be operated?

>Thumb and/or forefinger of left hand.
>
>>Would the mount be extended,
>>making other lenses unable to focus to infinity?

>No.
>
>Ever seen the Nikormat or Olympus OM cameras with shutter dials on the
>lens mount? No problem with focus of any lenses. Same position could
>easily be used for an aperture (or even a shutter speed) control on a
>DSLR today.

I never used those cameras.
But, putting the aperture ring on a mount will extend the mount,
moving the lens out, affecting its ability to focus.
Not talking about old cameras here, but new ones.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Geoffrey

Bill Funk wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2006 05:13:32 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >I still have time to cancel out the Rebel XTi 400D order. What is the
> >cheapest full frame sensor camera, and does it obviate the need to
> >purchase additional lenses in order to be worth the money?

> As others have pointed out, the Canon is the cheapest full-frame DSLR
> being marketed now.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/
>
> Does it obviate the need to purchase additional lenses in order to be
> worth the money? Depends. What lenses do you have now? How good do you
> want your pics to be? The 5D will take advantage of the best lenses
> you can buy. Canon makes some very nice "L" series lenses that are of
> very good quality, and Canon's pride in these lenses is evident in
> their prices.
>
> But I would caution you; since your knowledge of DSLRs doesn't seem to
> extend beyond setting the camera to full auto mode and not
> understanding why the camera does what it does, it might be better to
> stick with the XTi to gain some basic understanding of the interaction
> between the shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings, and how you can
> manipulate them to get what you want, before you buy a 5D. (If you
> don't know how to drive, buying a $100,000 car makes little sense.)

I work for a well-known maker of $100k+ cars, and I can assure you
that, if we sold them only to people who knew how to drive them, we
would have gone out of business years ago