Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheaper to rent a car than a P&S!!!

Cheaper to rent a car than a P&S!!!

Rich

Phil Wheeler

Rich wrote:
> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001

No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

Rich

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
> >

> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Gerrit 't Hart

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Phil Wheeler wrote:
> > Rich wrote:

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...st=frames.jsp&
currency=CAD&storeId=10001

> > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Canadian Dollars.
Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days.

Gerrit

JohnR66

"Gerrit 't Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:454c783c$0$8004$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> > Rich wrote:
>> > >

> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...st=frames.jsp&
> currency=CAD&storeId=10001
>> > >

>> > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

>> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
>> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
>> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
>>

> Canadian Dollars.
> Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days.
>
> Gerrit

$950 for a silver Rebel XTi body? B&H wants $715. Either their prices suck
or that's a good deal in Canadian dollars.
John

Bill Funk

On 4 Nov 2006 00:41:00 -0800, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
>> >

>> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

>True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
>means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
>rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Having been in the rental business, I can vouch for the need for
seemingly high rental prices for small, complex devices such as
cameras.
Loss due to theft is high.
Unseen damage is frequent (a trip to the beach can cause damage that
won't be seen for a while).
Conflicts about who is responsible for failures are frequent, and
expensive to resolve.
And on and on and on...
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Phil Wheeler

Rich wrote:
> Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>>> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
>>>

>> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.

Phil

Tom Ross

On 4 Nov 2006 00:41:00 -0800, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
>> >

>> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

>True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR.

I considered renting equipment a couple of times when I lived in
Dallas. If memory serves, both Competitive Camera and Dallas Camera
offered the 20D for around $100/day. That was a couple of years ago,
so the price may have changed. A 200mm 2.8L was around $30/day.

4>Which
>means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
>rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

And an apartment would rent for around $20,000/day. It's an unfair
comparison: cameras are not cars (or apartments). Car rental companies
don't *want* to sell the car - renting is their business. Camera
stores, OTOH, want to sell the equipment - renting is a service.

Just curious - were you planning to rent a camera from Henry's?

TR

Rich

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Phil Wheeler wrote:
> > > Rich wrote:
> > > >

> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...st=frames.jsp&
> currency=CAD&storeId=10001
> > > >

> > > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
> >

> Canadian Dollars.
> Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days.
>
> Gerrit

Three years ago, the Can. dollar was worth $0.63 U.S. Today it's about
$0.88.

Rich

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > Phil Wheeler wrote:
> >>>

> >> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
> >

> Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.
>
> Phil

True, but I think pro rental is pretty robust, so those $30,000 medium
format jobs must not be bought outright by all professional photogs.
As for the $100 for a DSLR, I can't really understand why someone would
pay it unless they only needed the camera for a specific vacation (in
which case they might as well just buy it) or a business reason where
they can claim back the rental cost.

CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed Digital Photography 3 10-31-2007 10:50 AM
NEW INVENTED CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR johnbadawi79@gmail.com Java 0 10-31-2007 02:29 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C++ 0 10-31-2007 02:25 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C Programming 0 10-31-2007 02:24 AM

Advertisments