Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens + C-PL?

Reply
Thread Tools

New EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens + C-PL?

 
 
DHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2006
Hoping for a response from somebody that has used this lens on
a 30D with a C-PL (Circular Plolerizer) filter.

My concern is that a C-PL will drop about 1.3 stops so the
combination would be focusing @ an effective f6.3 & that might prove
to be an unreliable combination. Yes I have considered the f2.8
version but think the added size & weight of this lens would add
difficulty as I plan on using it hand-held 90+ % of the time & often
with a quality C-PL. If I have to go with a heavier lens I could use
it with a mono-pod but would rather avoid the need to do so.

Was hoping that the new f4 version would meet my needs better,
1.7 Lbs. seems a lot easier to deal with than 3.2 Lbs. My 30D is
always used with it's battery/vertical grip, so this would help a bit
if I had to opt for the heavier f2.8 version.

Primary planed use for the lens will be outdoor sporting
events, some animal photography (birds, squirrels & etc.). Also hope
to be able to use it for some indoor sporting events (without the
C-PL) but my main priority is outdoors with the C-PL.

Thanks in advance to all for any potentially useful advice.
I'm also open to considering other lenses but would prefer to stay
with a quality Canon lens. For obvious reasons I am looking for a
lens with a non-rotating front element.

Respectfully, DHB


"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malcolm Stewart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2006
"DHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hoping for a response from somebody that has used this lens on
> a 30D with a C-PL (Circular Plolerizer) filter.
>
> My concern is that a C-PL will drop about 1.3 stops so the
> combination would be focusing @ an effective f6.3 & that might prove
> to be an unreliable combination. Yes I have considered the f2.8
> version but think the added size & weight of this lens would add
> difficulty as I plan on using it hand-held 90+ % of the time & often
> with a quality C-PL. If I have to go with a heavier lens I could use
> it with a mono-pod but would rather avoid the need to do so.


The CPL will only change the brightness of the image forming light - it will
not alter the angular spread of the light, and it is largely this (the
geometry) which controls how the AF sensors function. True, they do work
better in bright light, but they need a good spread for focusing acuity.
(1.3 stops seems a little optimistic to me, but polarising film &
quarter-wave plates could have got better since I measured them.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2006
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:58:10 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The CPL will only change the brightness of the image forming light - it will
>not alter the angular spread of the light, and it is largely this (the
>geometry) which controls how the AF sensors function. True, they do work
>better in bright light, but they need a good spread for focusing acuity.
>(1.3 stops seems a little optimistic to me, but polarising film &
>quarter-wave plates could have got better since I measured them.)
>--
>M Stewart
>Milton Keynes, UK


M Stewart,
Thank you for your prompt reply to my post. If I
understand you correctly, you don't believe this combination should
pose a focusing problem. In the Northeastern part of the US where I
live the weather changes fairly rapidly & mixed days of sunshine &
overcast sky's are common. On sunny days I suspect there should be
enough contrast to get reliable focus from a f4 lens, C-PL & my 30D,
it's the overcast days/times that concern me most.

Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.
You don't have to have experience with Canon's new EF 70-300 f4 L IS
USM lens but that would be a definite plus because it's exactly what I
hope to be using if it's going to work well with my 30D & a C-PL.

Thanks again.

Respectfully, DHB


"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2006
> DHB wrote:
>
> Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
> know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.



I just checked a couple of combinations for you ...

* Rebel XTi with 300 f/4 L and C-PL works fine
* Rebel XTi with 400 f/5.6 and C-PL works fine

So even with the f/5.6 lens and a pol the AF works.

The 30D should have similar or better AF than the Rebel.

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
DHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2006
On 3 Nov 2006 13:45:30 -0800, "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> DHB wrote:
>>
>> Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
>> know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.

>
>
>I just checked a couple of combinations for you ...
>
>* Rebel XTi with 300 f/4 L and C-PL works fine
>* Rebel XTi with 400 f/5.6 and C-PL works fine
>
>So even with the f/5.6 lens and a pol the AF works.
>
>The 30D should have similar or better AF than the Rebel.
>
>Bill


Bill,
Thanks, for the effort it's reassuring. Actually this
will be my 1st "L" glass lens & for me & it's a significant investment
but it seems like a good match for my 30D & should get a lot of use.

If you don't mind, how do you like the performance of your 300
f4 L? I had considered this because I like fixed focal length lenses
over zooms but this zoom range in an L series lens with IS seems to be
a far more versatile choice.

I have the Canon's EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which works
quite well considering it's price & zoom range but it does not have:

<1> A non-rotating from element.
<2> Full Time MF override.
<3> A fixed f stop across it's zoom range.
<4> Weather sealing.

Aside from these 4 problems I have been quite pleased with the
lens for many uses & plan to keep it even if I get the EF 70-200 f4 L
IS USM. It even works quite well with my older 300D but sometimes
hunts a bit @ 300mm when I am trying to photograph birds or squirrels
up in the trees. Because of the rotating front element during focus,
I have not tried it with a C-PL but think I will try it just to seen
how the focus is effected by the addition of a C-PL both on my 300D &
30D.

Respectfully, DHB



"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2006
"DHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
> know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.
> You don't have to have experience with Canon's new EF 70-300 f4 L IS
> USM lens but that would be a definite plus because it's exactly what
> I
> hope to be using if it's going to work well with my 30D & a C-PL.


I used a Hoya circular polarizer on the Canon 70-200 f/4 L on a Rebel
XT regularly without any issues. The combo also worked well on
previous film bodies and a friends 20D. It also works well on lenses
that have a smaller aperture at the long end of the zoom range, like
the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lense.

Don't worry about autofocus, it won't have an appreciable effect. It
will darken the image, and you'll have to deal with slower shutter
speeds, larger apertures, or higher ISO settings.

 
Reply With Quote
 
DHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2006
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:26:53 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>I used a Hoya circular polarizer on the Canon 70-200 f/4 L on a Rebel
>XT regularly without any issues. The combo also worked well on
>previous film bodies and a friends 20D. It also works well on lenses
>that have a smaller aperture at the long end of the zoom range, like
>the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lense.


Thanks for sharing your personal experience & that of a friend's 20D
with me, it's reassuring.

>Don't worry about autofocus, it won't have an appreciable effect. It
>will darken the image, and you'll have to deal with slower shutter
>speeds, larger apertures, or higher ISO settings.


These are givens I understood & can live with & work around. My
primary concern was *if* it would retain good focus speed & accuracy
with a quality C-PL. Based on what you have shared, it seems that it
should not be adversely effected under outdoor situations where I
would most often be using it with a C-PL.

Actually, I tend to prefer a rather shallow DOF & use Neat Image NR
where needed when forced to work with high ISO speeds in order to
retain fast enough shutter speeds. So this part I expected & am ready
to deal with.

Thanks again, now I just need to check a few forums for user
feedback about this new lens & if all sounds good than I guess I know
what Santa (me) will be bringing me a bit early.

Respectfully, DHB



"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon 24-105 L IS USM or 24-70 2.8 L USM and 100 or 180 macro? etc. Ideal set ? fr@nk Digital Photography 5 07-12-2006 02:51 AM
Canon Zoom Lenses (75-300mm f/4.0-5.6. USM or 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM)? Joe Smith Digital Photography 7 03-02-2005 11:26 AM
EF 85mm f/1.2L USM / EF 50mm f/1.4 USM n Digital Photography 50 12-21-2004 06:01 AM
Canon 18-55 EF-S: USM or not USM? Michael A. Covington Digital Photography 6 10-26-2004 10:30 PM
EF 14mm f/2.8L USM or 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM n Digital Photography 2 01-16-2004 09:02 PM



Advertisments