Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon capture on OS X 10.4

Canon capture on OS X 10.4

Gumpster

I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
functionality that the Canon software should give me.

Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
or preferably free alternative?

Many thanks

tomm42

On Nov 3, 10:47 am, "Gumpster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
> Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
> have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
> work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
> works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
> functionality that the Canon software should give me.
>
> Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
> or preferably free alternative?
>
> Many thanks

Have you tried Capture 1 LE, I believe the major difference is tethered
shooting. Nikon is bad about good software too, the stuff they give you
with the cameras is garbage.

Tom

John McWilliams

Gumpster wrote:
> I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
> Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
> have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
> work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
> works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
> functionality that the Canon software should give me.
>
> Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
> or preferably free alternative?
>
> Many thanks

Try changing the setting on the camera in the menu under "Communication".

--
John McWilliams

Gumpster

tomm42 wrote:
> On Nov 3, 10:47 am, "Gumpster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
> > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
> > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
> > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
> > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
> > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
> >
> > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
> > or preferably free alternative?
> >
> > Many thanks

> Have you tried Capture 1 LE, I believe the major difference is tethered
> shooting. Nikon is bad about good software too, the stuff they give you
> with the cameras is garbage.
>
> Tom

Thanks Tom but it's the tethered shooting I want

Gumpster

John McWilliams wrote:
> Gumpster wrote:
> > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
> > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
> > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
> > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
> > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
> > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
> >
> > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
> > or preferably free alternative?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >

> Try changing the setting on the camera in the menu under "Communication".
>
> --
> John McWilliams

I'll give it a try but strange how it worked with Capture One......

Gumpster

Gumpster wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
> > Gumpster wrote:
> > > I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
> > > Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
> > > have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
> > > work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
> > > works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
> > > functionality that the Canon software should give me.
> > >
> > > Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
> > > or preferably free alternative?
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > >

> > Try changing the setting on the camera in the menu under "Communication".
> >
> > --
> > John McWilliams

> I'll give it a try but strange how it worked with Capture One......

I just tried it - I selected EOSCapture as the preferred device when my
camera is attched. The program starts and immediately closes.
grrrr......

Ray Fischer

Gumpster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
>Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
>have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
>work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
>works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
>functionality that the Canon software should give me.
>
>Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
>or preferably free alternative?

It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
to make it work on Mac OS X.

There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.

--
Ray Fischer

Gumpster

Ray Fischer wrote:
> Gumpster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
> >Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
> >have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
> >work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
> >works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
> >functionality that the Canon software should give me.
> >
> >Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
> >or preferably free alternative?

> It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
> to make it work on Mac OS X.
>
> There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thanks for that - I can't find the link on canon USA or Asia - have you
seen it somewhere else?

Many thanks,

Ray Fischer

Gumpster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Gumpster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I have a 20D, Apple Macbook running OSX 10.4. I would like to use the
>> >Canon Capture software so that I can preview my studio shots live. I
>> >have downloaded the most up to date Canon software but cannot get it to
>> >work. However, I tried the Capture One software from Phase One and it
>> >works beautifully but I am reluctant though to pay 500 Euros for the
>> >functionality that the Canon software should give me.
>> >
>> >Has anyone managed to get this combination working or suggest a cheaper
>> >or preferably free alternative?

>> It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
>> to make it work on Mac OS X.
>>
>> There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.

>Thanks for that - I can't find the link on canon USA or Asia - have you
>seen it somewhere else?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12929

Click on "Drivers/Software"

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Gumpster

Ray Fischer wrote:
> Gumpster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> It's pretty crappy software. Somebody clearly didn't understand how
> >> to make it work on Mac OS X.
> >>
> >> There's a 9/2006 update on Canon's web site that you might try.

> >Thanks for that - I can't find the link on canon USA or Asia - have you
> >seen it somewhere else?

> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12929
>
> Click on "Drivers/Software"
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thank you for that link but it appears that the software is not
compatible with intel Macs