Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D80 vs D60 Wait?

Nikon D80 vs D60 Wait?

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Chips <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at COSTCO for
> $1,300.

Not the two best lenses for the kit either. I would rather buy the body
elsewhere and skip the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses in that Costco box.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bill

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vUM2h.2483$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>>
>> You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
>> non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
>> advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

> The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my
> opinion to pick
> the D80 or the D50 or D70s.

I dunno, since the D50 and D70s both have a 2.0" display screen.

Bill

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gVM2h.2484$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chips <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at
>> COSTCO for
>> $1,300.

> Not the two best lenses for the kit either. I would rather buy the
> body
> elsewhere and skip the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses in that Costco
> box.

Why someone would opt for the great D80 body and then put the mediocre
little kit lenses on it, I have no idea.

Not Disclosed

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>>> I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then noticed
>>> the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
>>> expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here for
>>> abt same?

>> The D80 is about $1000 USD. If you saw one for $400 you saw a scam.
>>
>> You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
>> non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
>> advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

> The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my opinion to pick
> the D80 or the D50 or D70s.
>
> The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
> see.

The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with zero
user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

ASAAR

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:57:19 -0500, Not Disclosed wrote:

>> The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
>> see.

> The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with zero
> user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

It's a welfare camera? Are you implying that its designation
should really be WD40? Does Nikon bundle the WD40 with a roll of
Duck Tape in the box? That would making it the first universal, all
purpose camera that's able to fix all of your photographic needs.

Joan

From Rockwell is saying, it'll be a dumbed down D50.

--
Joan

"Not Disclosed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:454b4bcc$0$27497$(E-Mail Removed). com...
: Why would it be a 4:3 format? The D40 is 2:3 with the same Sony
sensor
: that Nikon already uses. The D60 will likely be a dumbed down D80.
:
:

cjcampbell

Not Disclosed wrote:
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> > Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> The D80 is about $1000 USD. If you saw one for $400 you saw a scam.
> >>
> >> You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
> >> non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
> >> advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

> > The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my opinion to pick
> > the D80 or the D50 or D70s.
> >
> > The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
> > see.
> >

> The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with zero
> user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

Welfare camera? Never heard that before.

The D40 appears to not even have a M/AF switch. You have to use the one
on the lens.

Bill

"cjcampbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with
>> zero
>> user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

> Welfare camera? Never heard that before.
>
> The D40 appears to not even have a M/AF switch. You have to use the
> one
> on the lens.

No need for that switch on the body - the camera does not a screw
drive for autofocus with older lenses.

If the D40 even exists, that is.