Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Chinese" Camera Stores

"Chinese" Camera Stores

acl

Alan LeHun wrote:
> In article <JvX2h.1439$(E-Mail Removed)>, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest
> even number here)@cox..net> says...
> > Conversations without inflection/expression and facial clues are often
> > difficult to "read" in terms of humor, sarcasm and other aspects that are
> > normally conveyed by unwritten communication elements. Smileys become
> > little clues for the clueless.
> >

> The art of conversation is not the same as the art of writing.

I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through a
written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
conversations, in general).

MarkČ

Alan LeHun wrote:
> In article <JvX2h.1439$(E-Mail Removed)>, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest
> even number here)@cox..net> says...
>> Conversations without inflection/expression and facial clues are
>> often difficult to "read" in terms of humor, sarcasm and other
>> aspects that are normally conveyed by unwritten communication
>> elements. Smileys become little clues for the clueless.
>>

> The art of conversation is not the same as the art of writing.

These threads ARE conversations.
www.pbase.com/markuson

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, acl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through a
> written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
> conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
> expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
> conversations, in general).

Hmm. I think clear written communication is possible in conversational
AND narrative modes - and is in fact something to strive for.

I suppose that since so few of us write anything intended to last,
we've allowed that skill to lapse - and compensate with graphic aids.

MarkČ

Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> acl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through
>> a written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
>> conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
>> expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
>> conversations, in general).

> Hmm. I think clear written communication is possible in conversational
> AND narrative modes - and is in fact something to strive for.
>
> I suppose that since so few of us write anything intended to last,
> we've allowed that skill to lapse - and compensate with graphic aids.

It's not always a question of clarity when it comes to detecting sarcasm or
humor.
Two identically contructed sentences can have very different meanings
depending on inflection, stress and tone.

www.pbase.com/markuson

acl

Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, acl
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through a
> > written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
> > conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
> > expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
> > conversations, in general).

> Hmm. I think clear written communication is possible in conversational
> AND narrative modes - and is in fact something to strive for.

I agree on both counts (possible and worthy). I find it more enjoyable
to read posts which are well-written, and without smileys etc.

> I suppose that since so few of us write anything intended to last,
> we've allowed that skill to lapse - and compensate with graphic aids.

Probably. It also takes more effort to structure one's writing so that
the fact that it is a joke (say) becomes clear than to just stick a
smiley at the end, and since, as you said, this stuff isn't really
intended as a lasting record, most people can't be bothered.