Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Chinese" Camera Stores

"Chinese" Camera Stores

Bill

"acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> > But still. Half price on a Snoopy D70s is too good a deal to pass
>> > up.

>> Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If
>> you
>> purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
>> doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
>> "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

I thought you were being a twit as well, but I caught your second
reply before posting a negative response.

Cynicor

Bill wrote:

>>> up.
>>>
>>> Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If you
>>> purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
>>> doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
>>> "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

> Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them. Not that I'm a Mark
Twain. I'm not even a Mark˛.

So which Chinese camera brand takes better pics? Cannon or Nikom?

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.
>
> Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
> NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
> called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
> me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
> in.
>
> The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese versions.
> The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals, apparently)
> were in Chinese.
>
> Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
> purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
> reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there are
> so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself, says
> I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."
>
> Prices are dropping like the temperature on DSLRs, legitimate
> English-speaking (!) DSLRs, I know, and will probably drop further for
> Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
> know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.

Old Chinese saying -

"Idiots and their money are easily parted"

Roy G

Rich

Roy G wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.
> >
> > Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
> > NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
> > called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
> > me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
> > in.
> >
> > The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese versions.
> > The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals, apparently)
> > were in Chinese.
> >
> > Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
> > purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
> > reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there are
> > so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself, says
> > I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."
> >
> > Prices are dropping like the temperature on DSLRs, legitimate
> > English-speaking (!) DSLRs, I know, and will probably drop further for
> > Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
> > know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.
> >

> Old Chinese saying -
>
> "Idiots and their money are easily parted"
>
> Roy G

Since China is making many of the cameras formerly from Japan, it's not
hard to imagine the production lines working a little longer to produce
black market contraband. The Chinese are the biggest scam artists on
the planet when it comes to just about any product they can steal.

Celcius

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

..... The Chinese are the biggest scam artists on
> the planet when it comes to just about any product they can steal.

Rich,
Could this be said to be politically correct?
Cheers,
Marcel

Bill

"Cynicor" <j....tru...p..in@spea...kea...sy.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

>> Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

> I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them.

Mark Twain didn't know the difference between a pipe and a filtered
cigarrette, so it's not hard to believe he or you wouldn't know the
difference between a smiley and a frowny. By the way, it's 2006, not
1896, so you should join reality.

And if you still resist smileys, then maybe you should learn how to be
sarcastic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

How do you like me now?

> So which Chinese camera brand takes better pics? Cannon or Nikom?

Obviously neither! Sheesh.

The best camera on the planet is the Chimera D101x, made in Shanghai.
It can do anything, even take pictures of cynical dweebs.

Cynicor

Bill wrote:
> "Cynicor" <j....tru...p..in@spea...kea...sy.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

>> I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them.

> Mark Twain didn't know the difference between a pipe and a filtered
> cigarrette, so it's not hard to believe he or you wouldn't know the
> difference between a smiley and a frowny. By the way, it's 2006, not
> 1896, so you should join reality.

Smileys are to good writing as Sudoku is to crosswords.

> And if you still resist smileys, then maybe you should learn how to be
> sarcastic:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

Mark B.

news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> "acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>>> Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If you
>>> purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
>>> doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
>>> "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

> Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.
>
> I thought you were being a twit as well, but I caught your second reply
> before posting a negative response.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the term 'SNOOPY D70s' was a dead giveaway
to the joke.

=?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=

> On Nov 2, 8:10 am, "Martin Sřrensen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes. I am not even sure if our G3 _knows_ Danish

> Sorry for being so uglyamericanish!

Don't worry, I was only joking. Just to give a different perspective.

If you are persistant enough the language does not matter. My son (now
7) plays Pokémon on his gameboy, and to me the game requires a lot of
reading. He has just learned the ways and choices by heart (same with
his friends, they help eachother), so it does not matter if he plays
the English or the German-language game. I am sure one could do similar
with the camera, but I think I would prefer not to...

The real question to me is if it is a genuine camera.

/Martin

John Turco

Cynicor wrote:

> Bill wrote:

> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

> > Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

> I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them. Not that I'm a Mark
> Twain. I'm not even a Mark˛.
>
> So which Chinese camera brand takes better pics? Cannon or Nikom?

Hello, Cynicor:

I'm unsure of "Nikom," but, Cannon makes very sharp bath towels, with
excellent color balance. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>