Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Advanced" image processing

"Advanced" image processing

Barry Pearson

On Nov 1, 2:19 pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Barry Pearson says...
>
> > Are you asking for something beyond the sort of LAB processing done by
> > Dan Margulis in "Photoshop LAB Color -The Canyon Conumdrum and Other
> > Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace"? Figure 9.15 shows the use
> > of LAB to get through the haze in Hong Kong.

> Do you have a link? I've never tried this sort of processing.

Try a Google search for "The Canyon Conundrum" (NOT "Conumdrum" as I
spelt it above!)

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-LAB-.../dp/0321356780

http://www.peachpit.com/bookstore/pr...321356780&rl=1

http://www.ledet.com/danmargulis/?ve...is&product=LAB

I'm sure I've seen a forum or similar based on this, but I don't know
where I saw it.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

David Azose

Alfred Molon wrote:
> Just curious if anybody knows techniques to substantially enhance images
> taken under bad lighting or weather conditions. For instance if you shot
> photos on an overcast, dark day, if there is a way to make these photos
> shine. Would it be possible to transform an overcast sky into a nice
> blue sky?
>
> Or if you shot images under hazy conditions, with poor visibility, would
> it be possible to give these images "vibrance", good contrast and
> colours and if so how?

As a photographer who started investigating Aldus PhotoStyler years
before it was bought out by Adobe, I can tell you that I'm delighted to
be able to exercise the amount of control over images that PhotoShop
affords. I used to struggle in the darkroom trying to adjust highlight
contrast without affecting middle or shadow contrast. I was never able
to adjust, no matter how creative I got with burning and dodging,
"pleasing" values in a negative that had badly burned-out highlights and
dark values. Now with the "HIGHLIGHT/SHADOW" menu item under "IMAGE" in
PhotoShop, I have more control than I know what to do with. I'm still
learning about that control.

PhotoShop is a tool. How you use it makes a difference as to a crass or
beautiful end result.

David A.

Paul Saunders

Alfred Molon wrote:

>> How about this?
>> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/mi..._processed.jpg

> It's good - you completely removed the haze. The only problem is that
> the colours look a bit unnatural (pink sky and green river). I guess
> you can't have everything.

Yes you can. How about this?
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/mi...processed2.jpg

By the way, what colour is the river supposed to be? It's harder for me
because I don't know what the original colours looked like, or what you want
them to look like.

Paul
--

John McWilliams wrote:

> It occurred to me that leaving the haze in the sky and on the
> buildings might be a good thing.

All depends what you're trying to achieve. Does Alfred want to capture
reality or turn it into something that it isn't?

Paul
--

David Azose wrote:

> PhotoShop is a tool. How you use it makes a difference as to a crass
> or beautiful end result.

Exactly. It annoys me when people associate Photoshop with 'manipulation'
(some people are even starting to assume that RAW = manipulation too).
Software doesn't manipulate photographs, people do.

I often "manipulate" photographs in Photoshop to make them look *more* like
what I actually saw, since the camera often can't capture the reality that
we see (for example with extremely high contrast ranges that our eyes have
no problems with).

Paul
--

Alfred Molon wrote:

> Thanks Scott. You managed to completely remove the haze, but the
> colours unfortunately are pretty much gone. Even increasing the
> saturation does not help.

Actually, boosting saturation is often a bad way to improve colours. The
Selective Color tool is far better. For example you can alter the colour of
the river without affecting the rest of the picture.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Vidar Grønvold

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:12:13 +0100, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>Scott W says...
>
>> > Ok, here is the page with the samples:
>> > http://www.ddde.de/enhance/

>> OK here is my try at it
>> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/69541142
>> Mine has a over processed feel to it and I have to say I like your
>> version a lot better.
>> This is pretty typical of what I can when I try to make a photo look
>> like the day was nicer then it really was.

>Thanks Scott. You managed to completely remove the haze, but the colours
>unfortunately are pretty much gone. Even increasing the saturation does
>not help.

Want colours? Take a look at my try:
http://00-00-00.org/PA113877ny.jpg

First I used the HDR function in PhotoImpact 12. Then I selected
colour ranges and made adjustment to those. The sky became rather
full of jpg-blocks, but I painted that away with a strong blur
effect.

--
regards
Vidar Grønvold

Alfred Molon

In article <eieqvt$446$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net>, Paul Saunders says...

> Yes you can. How about this?
> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/mi...processed2.jpg

Wow....

> By the way, what colour is the river supposed to be? It's harder for me
> because I don't know what the original colours looked like, or what you want
> them to look like.

Can't remember exactly, but it is safe to assume that the Yangtze in
Chongqing is not turquoise-blue, but rather greenish/brownish.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <eier2t$45a$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net>, Paul Saunders says...

> All depends what you're trying to achieve. Does Alfred want to capture
> reality or turn it into something that it isn't?

Perhaps it might be a good idea to show the world how much smog there is
in Chongqing.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Vidar Grønvold
says...

> Want colours? Take a look at my try:
> http://00-00-00.org/PA113877ny.jpg

Yes, but ehmm... now the image looks not very natural.

> First I used the HDR function in PhotoImpact 12. Then I selected
> colour ranges and made adjustment to those. The sky became rather
> full of jpg-blocks, but I painted that away with a strong blur
> effect.

There is also the RAW file on the page in case you are interested.
--

Alfred Molon