Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how to mount digital photos??

how to mount digital photos??

Herb Barnes

Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?

In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
mount press without any long term degradation.

Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?

Thanks,

Herb

Dennis Pogson

Herb Barnes wrote:
> Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements
> which will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
>
> In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a
> dry mount press without any long term degradation.
>
> Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

I use double-sided carpet tape, but don't assume this is an easy option. I
have developed my own technique and get beautiful results.

Dennis.

tomm42

On Oct 30, 10:00 am, "Herb Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
> will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
>
> In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
> mount press without any long term degradation.
>
> Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

There are several ways, some more archival than others.
1) Most Archival: First you need a fairly stiff print, non of the thin
papers, photopaper is OK. Cut a matte and backing from archival mount
board, buffered OK. The print has to have a border, use archival linen
tape to fasten the print to the backer board, of course centered on the
matte. I have photoprints that the linen tape has lasted almost 20
years. Some folks don't like this as the print is not perfectly flat,
but it is the most archival way of mounting
2) Use low temp dry mounting tissue, need a dry mounting press.
3) Use excapsulated rubber cement sheets, adhere to the print, then to
the board, a roller press is nice here.
4) Use encapsulated rubber cement foamcore, very quick with a roller
press, a little harder by hand. This method is mostly for borderless
prints, though you can waste some paper and matte the print. Use with a
wrapable metal edge frame for a quick passable display.
Archival mounting board is just what it says, as I said it needs to be
pH neutral, board made with acid buffers is almost as good as natural
pH neutral board and much cheaper. Board that is not pH neutral will
turn yellow, may take 10 years or so. Some foam cores are also pH
neutral, thopugh I'm not sure if there are any pH neutral that also
have adhesive.

Tom

In article <uso1h.2117$VX5.555@trnddc05>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
> will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
>
> In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
> mount press without any long term degradation.

Dry mounting is still a good choice if you want the print to stay flat.

Digital has an advantage that if you keep the file, you can make a new
print. That can overcome the greatest down-side of dry mounting, taking
the picture back off its mountain if the mount is damaged. (Or you can
use dry mount adhesive that's designed to release if reheated.)

--
(E-Mail Removed) is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Joseph Meehan

There is no one answer as there is no one type of digital print. Inkjet
(and lots of subsets of those) laser, chemical, etc.

Maybe if you tell us more about the actual print someone with experience
with them could offer some specific advice that would apply. I fear much of
the advice you will get will not apply to the prints YOU have.

For example. Are you printing them yourself with an inkjet or laser
printer? If so what paper, printer and toner-ink are you using? If they
are being printed on a commercial machine, what one (Kodak, Fuji etc.)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Herb Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
> will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
>
> In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
> mount press without any long term degradation.
>
> Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Herb Barnes wrote:
> Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
> will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
>
> In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
> mount press without any long term degradation.
>
> Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

As long as the prints are done on coated paper, I find those spray cans
of contact cement work fine. I have not had the cement bleed through
the paper on any I have done, even if I put it on immediately so that I
can reposition it. The longer you let it dry before putting the print
on, the tougher it sticks. I have had some come loose, so there is a
trade off. Wait a full minute and you get a tight bond, but you had
better have it positioned perfectly on the mount board!

Marvin

Herb Barnes wrote:
> Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
> will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
>
> In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
> mount press without any long term degradation.
>
> Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb

I've used a spray-on adhesive that I bought in an art supply
shop.