Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon new Rebel XTi

Canon new Rebel XTi

Bill Hilton

>Tass wrote:
>
> I am close to buying the newest Canon XTi. ... Anything negative
> or positive about this camera would be a great help. Thanks

My wife got one as a backup, replacing a 10D (her main camera is the 1D
Mark II, a much heavier pro model) ... just comparing it to the 10D
(the only non-1D series model we've used), it seems to autofocus much
faster and clears the buffer faster, so it's more responsive (and of
course 10 Mpix vs 6 Mpix). Has 9 AF points, more than the 10D, and
this also helps since we're both used to the 45 point AF models.

One thing that didn't seem to work very well was the vibrating sensor
dust removal, but the dust mapping/software delete worked OK.

As for the big hands/small hands arguments, I have big hands and the
buttons were a bit close together for me but otherwise I got used to it
pretty fast ... my wife has small hands but seems equally adept with
either this smaller 18 oz Rebel or her much larger 44 oz 1D M II.

For sure if you want a light camera to carry around more places this is
a good choice for Canon users.

Bill

Pete D

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ei4uhb$572$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Seriously though I don't believe this small hands theory,

>> I agree. The only way to tell if you are going to feel comfortable
>> with a camera is to pick up and play with it. My opinion of what a
>> camera feels like is worthless to anyone else even someone my same size.

> Good thing the OP in this thread has already handled the beast and finds
> it comfortable to use<g>.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

The OP did confuse me a bit when she said,

"Does this mean flash or focusing
and can this not be done manually with the camera?"

I really thought that she did not have much of an idea about SLR cameras in
general!

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>I am close to buying the newest Canon XTi. Does this mean flash or focusing
>and can this not be done manually with the camera? Anything negative or
>positive about this camera would be a great help. Thanks Kathy

I just looked at the XTI and the 30D.

The XTi does have a full manual mode, but it doesn't have a second
dial, so in manual mode you have to press a button while turning a
knob to change the F-stop. That's one big drawback.

The second drawback is that the camera itself is a little too small
for my hands. You may or may not agree. But it's also a light
camera, which makes it harder to hold still. That's a second
drawback.

The advantages to the XTi over the 30D are it's price (about 2/3
cheaper) and the slightly higher resolution.

Both cameras have good full-auto modes.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>I left out the most important part. I meant I know it lacks spot
>metering...Does this mean flash or

Do you really need spot metering? Don't forget, if you shoot raw you
have about 2 f-stops of latitude, and you do get a histrogram after
each shot, so you can check the metering.