Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW...then Photoshop is this not Cheating.

RAW...then Photoshop is this not Cheating.

John Bean

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:28:03 -0900, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Floyd
L. Davidson) wrote:

>He wants to discuss RAW vs. JPEG as a shooting mode, and *not*
>have it sidetracked into a (probably even sillier) argument
>about his photography style.

[snip]

>Of course, this is Usenet and you don't have to write about what
>he asks about. How's the weather where you live?

And being usenet you would know the poster's thoughts better
than he does I guess. Or maybe you're his mother... I have
no way of knowing. Perhaps if he explained his own stance I
might reconsider whether I misinterpreted him, but your
interpretation of what he wrote while as useful as any other
is not necessarily any more valid. It's cloudy and slightly
wet.

--
John Bean

Scott W

Denny B wrote:
> The point here is not to display my pictures.
> After 40 years of film work and the endless
> wasting of time in darkrooms. I have finally
> gotten to the point of just taking pictures.
> I have no foolish dreams. Many times cropping
> pictures tells you nothing, it isolates reality.
> I can crop with the zoom.
> I am amazed at the wonderful pictures I see
> taken by people who have no technical knowledge
> of photography, who have simple point and shoot
> digital cameras. Excellent pictures that vividly
> tell a story.

There is no question that you can get very good photos using nothing
but the jpeg mode on your camera. But there are also times when raw
will make your life a lot easier. When shooting just JPEG I will find
shots that I feel the need to bracket. Often there is a trade off
between capturing good shadow detail and blowing out the sky or
capturing a nice blue sky but missing the shadow detail. With RAW I can
take on exposure and get both, making the decision of how best to trade
off between shadow and highlight detail on my computer. And if I want
to play around with dodging and burning to bring in the sky and the
shadow detail at the same time I have a much better chance of doing
this from a raw file then if all I had was the jpeg.

And when it gets to adjust WB raw makes like a whole lot simpler.

I get the feeling you have not used raw, perhaps you should spend some
time using raw mode before deciding that is have no value for you.

Scott

Jim

On 2006-10-29 18:36:59 -0500, Denny B <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Taking pictures in RAW and then knowing
> you did not train and discipline yourself
> to understand light metering and no matter
> how you botch up taking a picture, there is
> always Photoshop to bail you out. These days
> you never know what you are looking at, is
> what you see genuine or is it a fake Photoshop
> version.
> I use a Nikon D70S set to fine JPEG and have
> never yet felt I need to take Pictures in RAW.
>
> Your opinions are awaited.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Denny B

Your JPEG created by the camera started as RAW. The camera did the
conversion to JPEG according to a set of rules. All photographs are
altered after they are taken. Even slides are affected by the chemistry
and age of the film. Prints are heavily processed second generation
exposures.

I shoot RAW+JPEG and use the JPG for the quickies,,, ie email, qucik
web pages etc. I use the RAW for my more permanet collection and for
printing.

The other advantage to RAW at least in the Nikon World is that if you
use Capture, the original image is never touched. All the corrections
are stored as deltas and you can go back to the original at any time.
This without storing multiple versions.

Jim

--
Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

Bill Hilton

> Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>
> He wants to discuss RAW vs. JPEG as a shooting mode, and *not*
> have it sidetracked into a (probably even sillier) argument
> about his photography style.

If he's going to come on to a newsgroup and basically tell 70% of so of
the people shooting dSLRs that they are doing it the wrong way and he's
doing it a better way then it seems fair to ask to see some of his work
as an example.

Somehow I doubt he can back it up.

> That is a *very* consistent approach to the questions he
> has actually asked.

In the original post he didn't ask a single question, just made some
strong statements about his preferences.

Bill

Colin_D

Denny B wrote:
> Colin_D wrote:
>

>> An analogy: do you think that music recordings are published as they
>> are recorded, without afterwork on the sound tracks?

> You dead right here, but that is only because
> of striving to provide unique sounds to people.
> Inputting all sorts of sound on a mixing board
> and then the mixing individual or team of mixers
> discussing and deciding what you should listen to.
>
> It was not always like this. Just the music that came
> from an an individuals instrument was recorded or the
> music from an orchestra.
>
> Today the music you hear different pieces could be
> recorded in different countries, could have been recorded
> years ago and is then mixed with some a current piece and
> Joe public believes it was recorded all at the same time.
>
> The illusion of life today.
>
> Denny B

You've commented on my analogy, but said nothing about my remarks on
RAW images and Photoshop. Did you not read my reply; or do you just not
understand? Or maybe you just don't want to know.

You are getting perilously close to being labeled a troll.

Colin D.

l v

Colin_D wrote:
> Denny B wrote:

[snip]

> You are getting perilously close to being labeled a troll.

too late. Denny's already there in my book, err, newsreader.

--

Len

markbau@iprimus.com.au

Denny B wrote:
> Would you say that most people who take pictures
> take them in RAW? I think only a small fraction do.

I agree, also note that only a tiny fraction of film photographers use
medium or large format cameras.

The fact that Hyundai's outsell BMW's does not mean that they are a
better car.

The vast majority of digital photographers shoot jpeg because they
don't know any better, this does not mean that jpeg is "better" it
means that there are more people unaware of the advantages of RAW
compared to the people who understand this subject

Mark

John McWilliams

Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> "bmoag" wrote:
>>>
>>> Whirr: the sound of Ansel Adams spinning in his grave.

> -
>
>> JC Dill wrote:
>>
>> Ansel was a very high energy, energetic guy. He would have loved the
>> digital age.

> And he would have shot RAW, not jpeg

And he would have used Levels, not Curves! He would be beta testing
Lightroom, he would......

--
john mcwilliams

Everything old is new again in the latest film about the beloved pooch
with the I.Q. of a grad student and the instincts of a boomerang.
[NY Times; Review of "Lassie".}

Steve Cutchen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > -
> >
> >> JC Dill wrote:
> >>
> >> Ansel was a very high energy, energetic guy. He would have loved the
> >> digital age.

> > And he would have shot RAW, not jpeg
> >

> And he would have used Levels, not Curves! He would be beta testing
> Lightroom, he would......

Well, Ansel Adams was alive today, he'd be banging on the coffin lid.

duh.

Denny B

Jim wrote:

> Jim

It was never my initial intention when posting,
to annoy anybody, insult anybody, pretend by
stating I use only JPEG that I know more then
the Raw users, that because I use a Nikon brand
anybody else should.

Once I entered the digital slr world, I realized
how enjoyable and relatively easy picture taking
can be and that I no longer needed to drag bags
of camera bodies,lenses, spot and incident meters
around. That I can immediately see the picture I
had just taken and make adjustments as need be.
After 40 years of aiming and striving for perfection
I now just enjoy taking pictures and the result from
my Nikon D70S using fine JPEG is all I need. My 12x18
fine JPEG enlargements on my walls satisfy me and those
who care to glance.

I will always stop to glance and study pictures
taken and printed by the many who have been abundantly
more gifted then I am.

Denny B