Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Definition of Public Space

Definition of Public Space

Alex Heney

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:03:23 -0000, "M.I.5"
<(E-Mail Removed)_SPAM.co.uk> wrote:

>"Alex Heney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:17:51 -0000, "Leroy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what
>>>it
>>>the definition of a public place/space?

>> It depends on the purpose/activity.
>>
>> There is no single overriding definition.
>>

>>>I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public
>>>space,
>>>however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned.
>>>Am
>>>I correct in saying this?
>>>
>>>Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
>>>owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
>>>name.
>>>

>> What is the activity you are interested in?

>Just a shot in the dark, but since this was cross posted from
>rec.photo.digital, I would say photography was a fair bet.

Could be
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Committees keep minutes and lose hours.

e_svoboda

"Floyd L. Davidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The public has access to private businesses, but that is emphatically
> *not* a "public" area.
>
> It pretty much has to be owned by the "public" as well as open to
> the public. Hence, government owned.
>
> --
> Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
> Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

es;
Which jurisdiction are you talking about?
UK (England, Scotland, N.Ireland) or US?

M. J. Powell

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Floyd L. Davidson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Just Another Digital Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Leroy wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
>>> however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
>>> I correct in saying this?

>>No! Any area that the public has access to is public space. That
>>includes Tescos etc.

>The public has access to private businesses, but that is emphatically
>*not* a "public" area.
>
>It pretty much has to be owned by the "public" as well as open to
>the public. Hence, government owned.

Once, I had an annoying loudspeaker shut down in a public place, even
though the place was privately owned.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Mueen Nawaz

M.I.5 wrote:
>> Here you go
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_place
>>

> Not acceptable as an authoratative source on anything.

And USENET newsgroups are?

--
As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: "Take it, or leave
it."

/\ /\ /\ /
/ \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

anl

Leroy

Cheers Bill, that makes sense.

news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> "Leroy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what
>>it the definition of a public place/space?

> It depends on the laws of your country. But for the purpose of
> photography, any place where you have no expectancy of privacy, is
> generally considered to be a public place and you are generally within
> your rights and freedom to take photographs of the people and places.
>
> Expectancy of privacy means you can not expect to maintain a sense of
> private conditions. You can and will be viewed by other members of the
> public.
>
> As an example, if you're sitting in a restaurant having dinner, you can
> not expect the people beside you to not hear or listen in to your
> conversations, or observe what you're eating for dinner, or notice with
> whom you are sharing your table.
>
> In your own home, you do have an expectancy of privacy. Anyone who impedes
> or otherwise invades that privacy is probably breaking privacy laws.
>
>> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public
>> space, however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately
>> owned. Am I correct in saying this?

> A shopping centre is generally considerd a public place because you have
> no expectancy of privacy. But the property can be privately owned and you
> can be subject to the owners wishes. If you want to take casual photos of
> people in a mall, that's usually not an issue.
>
> But if someone complains to the management who are representatives of the
> owner, they can tell you to stop or tell you to leave the premises. You do
> not have the right to dispute when on private property.
>
> Note however if someone does approach you in a mall, tactful explanation
> of what you're doing will usually be accepted and you may be able to
> continue. So if security asks what you're doing, and you tell the guard to
> "get lost", you can expect to be told to leave or even forceably removed.
> But if you tell security that you're taking photos for a business report,
> activity center of a local paper with credentials, or of your daughter
> running around in a Halloween costume in the mall, chances are good you
> will be allowed to continue.
>
> Don't be stupid and you'll usually be free to shoot as much as you want.
>
>> Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
>> owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
>> name.

> Same as any other place that is privately owned.
>
> But once again, how you go about it will greatly affect how successful you
> are at getting the photos you want.

M.I.5

"Mueen Nawaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> M.I.5 wrote:
>>> Here you go
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_place
>>>

>> Not acceptable as an authoratative source on anything.

> And USENET newsgroups are?

Nobody has made that claim.