Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson P-5000 a winner!

Epson P-5000 a winner!

All_Thumbs

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks, that is all great news. I guess if the Canon model
>>>will not be in the US, the Epson is the only option in this
>>>class.

>> If Epson has solved the pathetic copy times, they have done half the
>> job. Two years too late, but still, at least there has been
>> progress...
>>
>> The other half is whether or not the disk drive is field servicable.
>> Every other unit on the market, drives are fungible. In fact, a disk
>> in one of my disk-based units failed recently in Utah. I drove to a
>> store, bought a new disk drive, and everything was working again in a
>> few minutes. Last I heard, Epson -- stupidly -- depends on the disk
>> for its OS and other details, to the point you just can't slop in
>> another another drive when the need arises.
>>
>> Have they fixed this problem with the P-5000? A hint to the answer
>> might be whether or not they sell the unit without a disk drive at all.
>>

> Yes, that would be cool. I just saw 160 GByte laptop drives
> (Seagate). A usb external drive was about $225 at Best Buy.
> It would be nice to buy the Epson without a drive and pop
> in a 160 GB drive.
>
> Roger

Would it be possible to remove the drive from the P-5000, then clone the
contents to a higher capacity drive? I am assuming the OS is on the drive
and not in hardware.

David J Taylor

All_Thumbs wrote:
[]
> Would it be possible to remove the drive from the P-5000, then clone
> the contents to a higher capacity drive? I am assuming the OS is on
> the drive and not in hardware.

Someone did something like that with the Epson P2000.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com....php/t-53.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12096558

David

MarkČ

David J Taylor wrote:
> All_Thumbs wrote:
> []
>> Would it be possible to remove the drive from the P-5000, then clone
>> the contents to a higher capacity drive? I am assuming the OS is on
>> the drive and not in hardware.

> Someone did something like that with the Epson P2000.
>
> http://www.openphotographyforums.com....php/t-53.html
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12096558
>
> David

Keep in mind that his upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive will cost him dearly
in battery life.

www.pbase.com/markuson

David J Taylor

MarkČ wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> All_Thumbs wrote:
>> []
>>> Would it be possible to remove the drive from the P-5000, then clone
>>> the contents to a higher capacity drive? I am assuming the OS is on
>>> the drive and not in hardware.

>> Someone did something like that with the Epson P2000.
>>

>> http://www.openphotographyforums.com....php/t-53.html
>>
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12096558
>>
>> David

> Keep in mind that his upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive will cost him
> dearly in battery life.

Although with the faster processor in the P-5000, perhaps you could trade
off some HD speed?

David

Steven Toney

if you are going to do surgery to put in a big hard drive -- why not buy the
P-3000?

isn't it the same as the P-5000, but with a 40gig drive???