Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson P-5000 a winner!

Reply
Thread Tools

Epson P-5000 a winner!

 
 
Lefty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> Frank ess wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
>>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to
>>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size
>>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
>>>
>>> Anyone?

>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this is
>> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
>> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the (rare
>> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
>>
>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
>>
>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36 GB
>> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ... but
>> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
>>
>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two people
>> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

>
> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth wasn't
> anywhere near as encouraging.
>
> Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a hundred
> dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie, f'rinstance)
> and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth. Maybe the 40GB
> version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for a traveling
> couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too much accessible
> disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders again in just a few hours
> ...
>
> Thanks again,
>
> --
> Frank ess
>
>


It will write to an external USB hard drive. The P-5000 acts as the host. It
has both host and device USB ports on the back.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>
>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
>> is enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer

-

> Frank ess wrote:
>
> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.


Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking about
the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more storage space
(the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).

Mark the Twoth (whom I consider a pal ... he almost went to Alaska once
with me to photograph brown bears) told me that even for two people the
P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's what I should
get. My how times have changed

You can probably dig up that old thread and see what his arguments were
at the time ... I'm sure part of his change of heart is due to having a
12 Mpixel camera like the 5D too.

> Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for
> a traveling couple.


You can also get one of these and then one of something with more disk
space but no preview screen, which will be much less expensive ... we
have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't have a
preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw a sale ad
for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
Frank ess wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> Frank ess wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
>>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to
>>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size
>>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
>>>
>>> Anyone?

>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
>> is
>> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
>> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the (rare
>> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
>>
>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
>>
>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36
>> GB
>> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ...
>> but
>> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
>>
>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
>> people
>> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

>
> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.


What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
?

> Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a
> hundred dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie,
> f'rinstance) and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth.
> Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition for
> a traveling couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too
> much accessible disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders again in
> just a few hours ...
>
> Thanks again,


Uh oh... I smell burning plastic...

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
Lefty wrote:
> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>>> Frank ess wrote:
>>>>
>>>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
>>>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like to
>>>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the size
>>>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone?
>>>
>>> Hi Frank,
>>>
>>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
>>> is enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer,
>>> especially since you can view the previews pretty clearly and
>>> delete the (rare for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
>>>
>>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a lot
>>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
>>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
>>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
>>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
>>>
>>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so 36
>>> GB would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer
>>> ... but with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
>>>
>>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
>>> people even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

>>
>> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
>> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.
>>
>> Mulling it over, I remembered that I've thrown away more than a
>> hundred dollars on nonsense stuff (taking the family to a bad movie,
>> f'rinstance) and had nothing to show for it but corn in the teeth.
>> Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition
>> for a traveling couple. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have
>> too much accessible disk space, I guess. B&H starts taking orders
>> again in just a few hours ...
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> --
>> Frank ess
>>
>>

>
> It will write to an external USB hard drive. The P-5000 acts as the
> host. It has both host and device USB ports on the back.


Yes...which is very unusual, and helpful.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>>
>>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
>>> is enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer

> -
>
>> Frank ess wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
>> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

>
> Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking about
> the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more storage
> space (the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).
>
> Mark the Twoth (whom I consider a pal ... he almost went to Alaska
> once with me to photograph brown bears) told me that even for two
> people the P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's
> what I should get. My how times have changed


Did I say that? I don't think they had come out with the 80GB P-4000 at
the time.
Funny what moving from a 6MP 10D to a 12.8MP 5D can do to your storage
requirements...

What the heck is a twoth?

> You can probably dig up that old thread and see what his arguments
> were at the time ... I'm sure part of his change of heart is due to
> having a 12 Mpixel camera like the 5D too.
>
>> Maybe the 40GB version would be suitable as a one-each proposition
>> for a traveling couple.

>
> You can also get one of these and then one of something with more disk
> space but no preview screen, which will be much less expensive ... we
> have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't have a
> preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw a sale ad
> for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.


Or...you might simply take along an external USB hard drive and connect to
it via the P-3000 or P-5000, which acts as a full host--so long as the drive
is fully plug-and-play (doesn't require driver installation).


--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank ess
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
MarkČ wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>>> Frank ess wrote:
>>>>
>>>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
>>>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like
>>>> to
>>>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the
>>>> size
>>>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone?
>>>
>>> Hi Frank,
>>>
>>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
>>> is
>>> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
>>> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the
>>> (rare
>>> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
>>>
>>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a
>>> lot
>>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
>>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
>>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
>>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
>>>
>>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so
>>> 36
>>> GB
>>> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ...
>>> but
>>> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
>>>
>>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
>>> people
>>> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)

>>
>> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
>> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

>
> What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
> ?
>


When I read, my lips move and I hear words in my head. "Mark with the
superscript two", or "Mark Alt-0178" are tongue/brain/ear-twisters.
You'd prefer "Mark the Square"? I can do that.

See, I was hoping someone would tell me the lesser appliance was
sufficient, so I could spend the difference on another (probably bad)
movie. No such luck. I suppose I'll eventually thank you.

Thank you,

--
Frank ess

<snip>

>
> Uh oh... I smell burning plastic...


Yes, thanks to Mark Square's incendiary comments ...

--
Frank ess
The real End, this time.

 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
Frank ess wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
>> Frank ess wrote:
>>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>>>> Frank ess wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> One of the rest of us will be a little happier if someone can
>>>>> convince him that the extra 40 GB is _not_ necessary; he'd like
>>>>> to
>>>>> learn that 40 GB (P-3000) is sufficient (that's TEN TIMES the
>>>>> size
>>>>> of his largest CF card) and will save him a hundred US dollars.
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyone?
>>>>
>>>> Hi Frank,
>>>>
>>>> The 40 GB is actually only about 36 GB ... personally I think this
>>>> is
>>>> enough about 99% of the time for a single photographer, especially
>>>> since you can view the previews pretty clearly and delete the
>>>> (rare
>>>> for you I'm sure) bad ones ...
>>>>
>>>> It's not enough if you are taking very long trips and shooting a
>>>> lot
>>>> every day or if you are using it for 2 photographers with itchy
>>>> trigger fingers and fast motor drives (like my wife and I) ... and
>>>> every year it seems the files get bigger so buying the 80 GB
>>>> (actually 72 GB) version gives you expansion space ...
>>>>
>>>> Right now with our 8 Mpixel cameras we get about 125 shots/GB so
>>>> 36
>>>> GB
>>>> would store about 4,500 images or 2,250 for each photographer ...
>>>> but
>>>> with 10 or 12 or higher Mpix bodies the numbers go down.
>>>>
>>>> Bill (has the P-4000, which as turned out to be plenty for two
>>>> people
>>>> even on long photo-intensive trips like to Africa or Alaska)
>>>
>>> Thank you for the kind and illuminating words, Bill. Mark the twoth
>>> wasn't anywhere near as encouraging.

>>
>> What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
>> ?
>>

>
> When I read, my lips move and I hear words in my head. "Mark with the
> superscript two", or "Mark Alt-0178" are tongue/brain/ear-twisters.
> You'd prefer "Mark the Square"? I can do that.


Ah.
Mark2 works for me... -Has a certain Canon ring to it...though that was
unintentional...
There are several Marks here, so I figure the Č helps people know which is
which.
I am a bit square, too, so Mark Squared works OK.
Or how about just Mark?
Laik bilong yu...

> See, I was hoping someone would tell me the lesser appliance was
> sufficient, so I could spend the difference on another (probably bad)
> movie. No such luck. I suppose I'll eventually thank you.


I think you may.
Any time I can MORE than double capacity (because you really only get about
36GB on the 40) for a bit more (and I'm afraid it's more like $200 more...),
I think that's a pretty good move. It's not like you can just stuff a new
hard drive in there, so I'd rather double-up now.

On a percentage-increase basis, its fairly economical...especially consider
that computer geeks spend a couple hundred extra for a mere 5-10%
processor-speed increase when buying a computer.

I all-too-good at these purchase rationalizations, though, so don't listent
to me...

-MarkČ

>> Uh oh... I smell burning plastic...

>
> Yes, thanks to Mark Square's incendiary comments ...




--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:20:00 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

> MarkČ wrote:
>> What's a "twoth"? Encouraging? I don't follow you...
>> ?


> When I read, my lips move and I hear words in my head. "Mark with the
> superscript two", or "Mark Alt-0178" are tongue/brain/ear-twisters.
> You'd prefer "Mark the Square"? I can do that.


He'd probably also prefer "Mark the twoth" to "Mark the TwoFaced".
He does thatČ in replies, often in the vicinity of his "" smileys,
this one being one of those inconvenient rule-provers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>
>> Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking about
>> the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more storage
>> space (the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).
>>
>> Mark the Twoth ... told me that even for two
>> people the P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's
>> what I should get. My how times have changed

'

> MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote
>
> Did I say that?


Gonna make me look up the thread, I see ... the title was "Epson P-2000
-What a great device!" started by you (note the similarity to this
thread's title ... begun July 6, 2005 ...

Part of the exchange ...

I wrote "I'm a bit put off by the 40 GB limit"

And Mark M replied:
(quote)
But I find that when I'm on a trip, the main thing I want to be able to
do
is:
1) Quickly verify that I have a solid copy
2) Review shots at the end of the day adn see if any need to be
re-shot,
etc.

For these two needs, I really do think this is sufficient.
If 40GB is too small, then there you go...
But for me (and most people), 35GB of RAW files is plenty
(end quote)

So there you go Frank ... "But for me (and most people), 35GB of RAW
files is plenty" directly from the Twoth ...

> Funny what moving from a 6MP 10D to a 12.8MP 5D can do to your storage
> requirements...


I was already at 11 Mpix with the 1Ds plus storing for two people so I
agree ...

> What the heck is a twoth?


Mark to the second power ... you have been called worse

>> we have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't
>> have a preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw
>> a sale ad for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

..
> Or...you might simply take along an external USB hard drive and

connect to
> it via the P-3000 or P-5000, which acts as a full host--so long as the drive
> is fully plug-and-play (doesn't require driver installation).


The advantage of the Wolverine (or similar) is that is has a CF card
reader slot so if the Epson is lost or breaks you can still download
cards ... it also has a USB connection so you can probably still write
off to it directly from the Epson. So it's like an external USB drive
except with a built-in card reader.

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Funny thing about that ... about two plus years ago I was asking
>>> about the P-2000 (40 GB) and remarked that I felt I needed more
>>> storage space (the 80 GB P-4000 wasn't out yet).
>>>
>>> Mark the Twoth ... told me that even for two
>>> people the P-2000 (which he had at the time) was enough and that's
>>> what I should get. My how times have changed

> '
>
>> MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote
>>
>> Did I say that?

>
> Gonna make me look up the thread, I see ... the title was "Epson
> P-2000 -What a great device!" started by you (note the similarity to
> this thread's title ... begun July 6, 2005 ...
>
> Part of the exchange ...
>
> I wrote "I'm a bit put off by the 40 GB limit"
>
> And Mark M replied:
> (quote)
> But I find that when I'm on a trip, the main thing I want to be able
> to do
> is:
> 1) Quickly verify that I have a solid copy
> 2) Review shots at the end of the day adn see if any need to be
> re-shot,
> etc.
>
> For these two needs, I really do think this is sufficient.
> If 40GB is too small, then there you go...
> But for me (and most people), 35GB of RAW files is plenty
> (end quote)
>
> So there you go Frank ... "But for me (and most people), 35GB of
> RAW files is plenty" directly from the Twoth ...


Ya, OK....

But remember... Digital years are like dog years x2 (14 years).
That's why we'd all be wise to perhaps refrain from ever uttering the words,
"That's all you'll ever need."
-No such thing in the digital world...

>> What the heck is a twoth?

>
> Mark to the second power ... you have been called worse


Ain't that the truth...
-Happily, I have pretty thick skin (though sometimes a pretty thick head as
well).

>>> we have the P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB Wolverine that doesn't
>>> have a preview screen but which costs much less ... I think I saw
>>> a sale ad for the 120 GB version at Fry's for $99, for example.

> .
> > Or...you might simply take along an external USB hard drive and

> connect to
>> it via the P-3000 or P-5000, which acts as a full host--so long as
>> the drive is fully plug-and-play (doesn't require driver
>> installation).

>
> The advantage of the Wolverine (or similar) is that is has a CF card
> reader slot so if the Epson is lost or breaks you can still download
> cards ... it also has a USB connection so you can probably still write
> off to it directly from the Epson. So it's like an external USB drive
> except with a built-in card reader.


That sounds like a good back-up.

I will most likely still drag my very small laptop along, but as you know, a
laptop just isn't practical in the field. Better to keep it at the hotel or
in the car/tent. I still have the P-2000, which will probably still make it
into bag #2.

I just hooked the P-5000 directly to an external 500GB hard drive and was
able to browse & copy images right on the screen. It also has an automatic
backup function which dump ALL card-saves on the unit to an external USB
drive. Works a charm...and no laptop needed.
Blah blah blah.

-Mark

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for epson 2200 profiles with MIS ink on epson stock Ken Digital Photography 0 02-10-2005 04:13 PM
Epson 2200 vs. Epson 4000 Grady R. Thompson Digital Photography 12 12-05-2003 12:34 AM
Need CD for Epson Stylus 1280 with Epson Apps. Paul Resch Digital Photography 1 09-21-2003 04:34 PM
Epson c62 and Epson Photo 900 chalk & cheese? Maze Digital Photography 0 09-03-2003 08:14 PM
Re: Epson printer 2200 - Epson semi-gloss paper nobody nowhere Digital Photography 1 07-13-2003 02:45 PM



Advertisments