Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendations needed: ultra-compact, $200

Recommendations needed: ultra-compact, $200

lrbtav@gmail.com

Hello, I am in need of recommendations for a cheap ($200USD budget)
ultra-compact digital camera that will be used to take pictures as I
travel. In order of importance:

1. Size; must be small as I will be hiking and space will be somewhat
limited
2. Price; college budget of $200. This unfortunately cannot be
stretched.
3. Load time; given my budget, does a camera exist with a < 3 second
load time?
4. Good auto-focus; I really just want to point and shoot without
having to spend time focusing the lens.

The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
something better exist for the price? Thanks!

SMS

> The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
> something better exist for the price? Thanks!

It's a bad camera for hiking because of the lack of an optical
viewfinder. No viewfinder may be okay indoors, but it's a royal PITA
outdoors.

Raphael Bustin

On 27 Oct 2006 05:57:29 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello, I am in need of recommendations for a cheap ($200USD budget)
>ultra-compact digital camera that will be used to take pictures as I
>travel. In order of importance:
>
>1. Size; must be small as I will be hiking and space will be somewhat
>limited
>2. Price; college budget of $200. This unfortunately cannot be
>stretched.
>3. Load time; given my budget, does a camera exist with a < 3 second
>load time?
>4. Good auto-focus; I really just want to point and shoot without
>having to spend time focusing the lens.
>
>The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
>something better exist for the price? Thanks!

Canon A620 is just a hair over $200, 7.2 Mpixels
with a 1/1.8" sensor. (Most ultra-compact
digicams use the smaller 1/2.5" sensor.)

It has a tilt/swivel LCD design. Very handy.
The camera weighs under 12 oz with its four
AA cells and has excellent battery life.

It has a 4x optical zoom lens, f2.8-4.1.
I carried mine 145 miles on a section hike
of the Appalachian Trail a couple of months
ago. I'm very happy with it, so far.

My only complaint/regret is that it does
not support RAW output format.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Eric Babula

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1161953849.899158.86170
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Hello, I am in need of recommendations for a cheap ($200USD budget)
> ultra-compact digital camera that will be used to take pictures as I
> travel. In order of importance:
>
> 1. Size; must be small as I will be hiking and space will be somewhat
> limited
> 2. Price; college budget of $200. This unfortunately cannot be
> stretched.
> 3. Load time; given my budget, does a camera exist with a < 3 second
> load time?
> 4. Good auto-focus; I really just want to point and shoot without
> having to spend time focusing the lens.
>
> The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
> something better exist for the price? Thanks!

Can't help with your camera selection exactly, but I did want to remind
you of a couple things, just in case.

Is your $200 budget the total you can spend? Don't forget about:
batteries (rechargeables? plus charger), storage card(s), and case for
the camera and extras. These things will chew up some of your budget,
too!

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp or
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php or
http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do and do a
search with your priorities. You can also read the reviews of any
cameras you might be interested in.

Good luck with your search.

--
Eric Babula