Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picture Cooler - anyone fully using it/understand it?

Reply
Thread Tools

Picture Cooler - anyone fully using it/understand it?

 
 
mark.thomas.7@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2006
This is one decidedly odd program, but it seems to have a lot of
promise. The quality of its denoising abilities compares very
favourably to the Neat Image, Noise Ninja, Noiseware, etc.

Has anyone paid for it and/or seriously using it? If so, what are the
additional features like?

The good:
- the denoising and sharpening seem to work very well
- it offers deconvolution (eg for helping address camera shake and
o-o-f problems) but only if you pay for it
- it seems to have a 'kill noisey pixel' function
- it seems fast (although the free version has deliberately sabotaged
save speed to annoy into buying it)
- it is cheap ($15) (or even free if you can put up with deliberately
slowed saves, no TIF saves, and lowish jpg quality)

The bad:
- it doesn't seem to offer a 100% view. The 200% view is annoying and
makes it harder to judge results, imo
- the method of operation, options and menu layout are all obscure and
rather confusing
- there is no useful Help whatsoever either in the program or at his
website
- the author initially used unpleasant tactics ('post a comment about
my software and I'll give you a reg key') to promote it - thankfully he
has dropped that idea now


Any comments appreciated, before I part with any money.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SteveB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
I used it a lot in its early days, not so much now. It's effective but I
was disappointed the user interface was only ever made worse, and not being
able to save favourite settings was silly, or has the latest version got
that now?. On some images it's the most effective NR program around but
generally speaking I much prefer Noiseware, so easy and quick.


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> This is one decidedly odd program, but it seems to have a lot of
> promise. The quality of its denoising abilities compares very
> favourably to the Neat Image, Noise Ninja, Noiseware, etc.
>
> Has anyone paid for it and/or seriously using it? If so, what are the
> additional features like?
>
> The good:
> - the denoising and sharpening seem to work very well
> - it offers deconvolution (eg for helping address camera shake and
> o-o-f problems) but only if you pay for it
> - it seems to have a 'kill noisey pixel' function
> - it seems fast (although the free version has deliberately sabotaged
> save speed to annoy into buying it)
> - it is cheap ($15) (or even free if you can put up with deliberately
> slowed saves, no TIF saves, and lowish jpg quality)
>
> The bad:
> - it doesn't seem to offer a 100% view. The 200% view is annoying and
> makes it harder to judge results, imo
> - the method of operation, options and menu layout are all obscure and
> rather confusing
> - there is no useful Help whatsoever either in the program or at his
> website
> - the author initially used unpleasant tactics ('post a comment about
> my software and I'll give you a reg key') to promote it - thankfully he
> has dropped that idea now
>
>
> Any comments appreciated, before I part with any money.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mark.thomas.7@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
SteveB wrote:
> I used it a lot in its early days, not so much now. It's effective but I
> was disappointed the user interface was only ever made worse


My thoughts exactly. It's frustrating, because it seems to offer the
best performance on many/most of my images. And the camera I am now
using shows the odd dark pixel sprinkled through the shadows, so the
noisy pixel thing is extra useful.

If only he went to some user interface training!

> and not being
> able to save favourite settings was silly, or has the latest version got
> that now?

Doesn't seem to.

> On some images it's the most effective NR program around but
> generally speaking I much prefer Noiseware, so easy and quick.


I agree - I like Noiseware too, but I keep coming back to PC on the
worst images...

I might just fork out the $15 anyway, and send him copious feedback in
the hope he might tidy it up - but not hold my breath..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooler Master V10 CPU Cooler Ian Front Page News 0 03-11-2009 10:27 AM
Cooler Master Passive Hyper Z600 CPU Cooler Ian Front Page News 0 08-15-2008 08:54 AM
Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R120 Liquid Cooler @ Viper Lair Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-15-2006 04:15 AM
Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R80 Water Cooler Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-07-2005 02:46 AM
Prime Cooler Fanless VGA Cooler Review @ PC Modding Malaysia Silverstrand Front Page News 4 07-04-2005 01:16 AM



Advertisments