Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > full blurred background effect with D70?

full blurred background effect with D70?

Giovanni Azua

Hello all,

I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a clearly
focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
away from the main focus area.

My approach was as follows:

- Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
- Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
- Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
"Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
- Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".

The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Giovanni

Scott W

Giovanni Azua wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
> and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a clearly
> focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
> away from the main focus area.
>
> My approach was as follows:
>
> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
> reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
> - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
> "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
>
> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance,

Try using a longer focal length and if you can use a smaller f/number.
Note that f/5.6 will give a small DOF with a FL of say 200mm but a
farly larger DOF at a FL of 20mm.

Scott

David J. Littleboy

"Giovanni Azua" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Normally, that sort of work is done at f/2.0 or f/2.8. Presumably, your lens
is a consumer zoom that doesn't open up very wide. You could consider buying
the Nikkor 50/1.8.

Before throwing money at the problem, though, try again with your lens
zoomed out to its longest focal length.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Scott W

Giovanni Azua wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
> and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a clearly
> focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
> away from the main focus area.
>
> My approach was as follows:
>
> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
> reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
> - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
> "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
>
> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance,

One more thought, the smaller an object you photograph the less DOF you
will have. So if you are photographing one small flower it might be
hard to get enough DOF but if you are photographing a bunch of flowers
it might be hard getting a small enough DOF.

Scott

Bill Crocker

"Giovanni Azua" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
> and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a
> clearly
> focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
> away from the main focus area.
>
> My approach was as follows:
>
> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
> reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
> - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
> "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
>
> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Best Regards,
> Giovanni

In addition to the "lens" related help that others are providing, the newest
version of Corel's Paint Ship Pro Photo-11 is supposed to have a software
effect to simulate the same background. I can't speak for how well it
works.

"Skip the fancy lenses, now you can add depth of field to any photo in
seconds. Plus, with this new filter, you can adjust aperture shape, focus
range, and the strength of the blur"
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...elCom%2FLayout

Bill Crocker

MarkČ

Giovanni Azua wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson
> p.36 and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of
> having a clearly focused foreground element e.g. flower and get
> blurred anything slightly away from the main focus area.
>
> My approach was as follows:
>
> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough
> as to reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject
> e.g. flower. - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to
> the other two "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
>
> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Best Regards,
> Giovanni

Back up...fully extend your zoom to its longest focal length...and shoot at
its largest aperture.
Even if that's a relatively small 5.6, you should be able to blur the
background so long as your flower isn't right up against it.

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Scott W wrote:
> Giovanni Azua wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson
>> p.36 and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of
>> having a clearly focused foreground element e.g. flower and get
>> blurred anything slightly away from the main focus area.
>>
>> My approach was as follows:
>>
>> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
>> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough
>> as to reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject
>> e.g. flower. - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition
>> to the other two "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
>> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
>>
>> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
>> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,

> One more thought, the smaller an object you photograph the less DOF
> you will have. So if you are photographing one small flower it might
> be hard to get enough DOF but if you are photographing a bunch of
> flowers it might be hard getting a small enough DOF.
>
> Scott

Size of the subject doesn't have any effect at all.
If you mean "the smaller the subject with which you FILL THE FRAME...then
yes, of course.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Scott W

MarkČ lowest even number here wrote:

> Size of the subject doesn't have any effect at all.
> If you mean "the smaller the subject with which you FILL THE FRAME...then
> yes, of course.

Well yes I assume that the frame would be filled the same amound for a
large object as a small. Any one who have done macro photography knows
how small the DOF can get. Even at f/16 macro shots are short on DOF.

Scott

Neil Ellwood

Giovanni Azua wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson
> p.36 and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of
> having a clearly focused foreground element e.g. flower and get
> blurred anything slightly away from the main focus area.
>
> My approach was as follows:
>
> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough
> as to
> reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g.
> flower.
> - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other
> two
> "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
>
> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree
> of sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing
> wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Best Regards,
> Giovanni

Use manual focus and then see how well you do.
--
Neil
reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.