Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > giga print

giga print

hfs2

I saw a link to a photo recorded with some fantastic mp count. Anyone
find a Kinkos and print it? I wonder what a poster size print would
look
like on great paper.

If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.

Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?

Photo was of old religious art work.

hfs2

found it
http://haltadefinizione.deagostini.it/
hfs2 wrote:
> I saw a link to a photo recorded with some fantastic mp count. Anyone
> find a Kinkos and print it? I wonder what a poster size print would
> look
> like on great paper.
>
> If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.
>
> Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?
>
> Photo was of old religious art work.

Scott W

hfs2 wrote:
> I saw a link to a photo recorded with some fantastic mp count. Anyone
> find a Kinkos and print it? I wonder what a poster size print would
> look
> like on great paper.
>
> If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.
>
> Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?
>
> Photo was of old religious art work.

That image has 8.6 GP, figure a 300 ppi print and you are talking about
663 sqr ft.
The largest print I have had done was 30 x 60 inches or 12.5 sqr ft,
and that cost $30. Even if you could keep the price down to the same
dollars/sqr foot you are looking at over $1500. But a print that large
will likely cost much more / sqr foot.

Keep in mind that thd art work that was photographed was 35ft x 32ft
and pretty detailed.

Scott

hfs2

Did you use your companies plotter?
I just went to kinkos and 11x17 is their max (seems pretty small)
We have a continuous roll color printer at work. I think it's at least
4 feet
across. I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
wallpaper
maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
now there's a business idea (already done?).

Scott W wrote:
> hfs2 wrote:
> > I saw a link to a photo recorded with some fantastic mp count. Anyone
> > find a Kinkos and print it? I wonder what a poster size print would
> > look
> > like on great paper.
> >
> > If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.
> >
> > Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?
> >
> > Photo was of old religious art work.

> That image has 8.6 GP, figure a 300 ppi print and you are talking about
> 663 sqr ft.
> The largest print I have had done was 30 x 60 inches or 12.5 sqr ft,
> and that cost $30. Even if you could keep the price down to the same
> dollars/sqr foot you are looking at over $1500. But a print that large
> will likely cost much more / sqr foot.
>
> Keep in mind that thd art work that was photographed was 35ft x 32ft
> and pretty detailed.
>
> Scott

hfs2

I take it 300 dpi is about it for color printing? Black and white
doesn't look
solid until 600.

Scott W wrote:
> hfs2 wrote:
> > I saw a link to a photo recorded with some fantastic mp count. Anyone
> > find a Kinkos and print it? I wonder what a poster size print would
> > look
> > like on great paper.
> >
> > If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.
> >
> > Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?
> >
> > Photo was of old religious art work.

> That image has 8.6 GP, figure a 300 ppi print and you are talking about
> 663 sqr ft.
> The largest print I have had done was 30 x 60 inches or 12.5 sqr ft,
> and that cost $30. Even if you could keep the price down to the same
> dollars/sqr foot you are looking at over $1500. But a print that large
> will likely cost much more / sqr foot.
>
> Keep in mind that thd art work that was photographed was 35ft x 32ft
> and pretty detailed.
>
> Scott

Scott W

hfs2 wrote:
> Did you use your companies plotter?
> I just went to kinkos and 11x17 is their max (seems pretty small)
> We have a continuous roll color printer at work. I think it's at least
> 4 feet
> across. I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
> wallpaper
> maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
> by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
> now there's a business idea (already done?).

I order the prints via the Internet so did not see the printer. They
use an led based printer that prints on photographic paper. They do
larger sized inkjet prints but then the cost/sqr ft really goes up.
There are places that will do wall paper print but at a pretty high
cost. There are also places that have huge printer for billboards, but
again at very high cost / print.

Scott

Frank ess

Scott W wrote:
> hfs2 wrote:
>> Did you use your companies plotter?
>> I just went to kinkos and 11x17 is their max (seems pretty small)
>> We have a continuous roll color printer at work. I think it's at
>> least 4 feet
>> across. I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
>> wallpaper
>> maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have
>> thought
>> by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
>> now there's a business idea (already done?).

> I order the prints via the Internet so did not see the printer.
> They
> use an led based printer that prints on photographic paper. They do
> larger sized inkjet prints but then the cost/sqr ft really goes up.
> There are places that will do wall paper print but at a pretty high
> cost. There are also places that have huge printer for billboards,
> but again at very high cost / print.
>
> Scott

Twenty years ago you could find wall-size ( 8 x 16 feet IIRC ) prints
of forest glens, snowscapes, beachscapes, other stuff, at
housepaint/wallpaper stores. Seems to me such technology must be
available, possibly much improved. Somebody made those things, someone
else must still be in that kind of business.

I saw this place from the I-5 freeway:
http://www.giantphoto.com/

It's a start.

--
Frank ess

Scott W

Frank ess wrote:
> Twenty years ago you could find wall-size ( 8 x 16 feet IIRC )

prints
> of forest glens, snowscapes, beachscapes, other stuff, at
> housepaint/wallpaper stores. Seems to me such technology must be
> available, possibly much improved. Somebody made those things, someone
> else must still be in that kind of business.
>
> I saw this place from the I-5 freeway:
> http://www.giantphoto.com/
>
> It's a start.

Looks like they can go big but at a pretty high price.
These people did a 20 x 30 for $10 and a 30 x 60 for $30
http://www.elcocolor.com/poster_special.htm

But they are limited to 30 x 60 for photographic prints, they do larger
inkjet prints but the cost/ sqr ft goes way up.

Scott

Scott W

hfs2 wrote:
> I take it 300 dpi is about it for color printing? Black and white
> doesn't look
> solid until 600.

B/W will look good at 300 ppi as long as it is continues tone. People
see the jaggies on 300 ppi laser prints and then believe that 300 ppi
is not enough, but if the 300 ppi were continues tone you would not see
the jaggies.

Scott

Richard H.

hfs2 wrote:
> I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
> wallpaper
> maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
> by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
> now there's a business idea (already done?).

http://www.muralsyourway.com/ It's in the $1000's, but they can put out
300dpi on a large scale.

Cheers,
Richard

Giga port on catalyst 2960 rahan Cisco 2 08-09-2006 06:57 AM
Problem Daisy-Chaining 2950 Using Copper Giga Aharon Schkolnik Cisco 5 09-25-2005 08:37 AM
Re: Giga-Byte GA-6BXE * Computer Support 2 04-02-2005 12:43 PM
[Cisco 6509] - Giga Interface status Wood Cisco 1 11-25-2004 05:37 PM

Advertisments