Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Transcender is Endorsed by Microsoft

Transcender is Endorsed by Microsoft

Davin Mickelson

Those are interesting results.

Transcender has been around much longer than MeasureUp and can be considered
the Cadillac of practice tests. STSWare has been around quite awhile but
hasn't beefed up their quality up until recently.

I just don't believe using Transcenders is cheating while using the MCPTP
exams is not.

It seems that your real complaint is the cost. I agree - it's expensive.

Keep in mind that it is excellent marketing to have your business advertised
on Microsoft's web site. If I were to start a practice exam company,
becoming an MCPTP would be a top priority. For Transcender, they don't need
to. Their reputation speaks for itself.

Davin Mickelson

"[DllImport("MCSD.dll",EntryPoint="PassTests")]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> " I appreciate your opinion. Substantiate it with proof." -- I downloaded
> the sample from Transcender for an exam that I already took and passed

with
> the assistance of MeasureUp's practice test (70-315), so I could do a

direct
> comparison.
> In the practice exam the questions are about the same quality as the
> MeasureUp questions. There is actually MUCH LESS explanation of the

answers
> than with MeasureUp, but the Transcender links to study materials appear
> more complete.
>
> One difference I immediately saw -- out of 14 questions on the Transcender
> demo exam, 3 of them were basically word-for-word the same as actual
> questions I had on the real exam.
>
> It appears there is absolutely nothing to substantiate why Transcender

costs
> 3 times as much except for the fact that some of the questions are

directly
> off the exam, judging solely from this comparison. If they make it a

habit
> to use exact copies of the real exam questions it is extremely easy to see
> why they aren't certified by Microsoft!
>

> "Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23PP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rich, at the risk of sounding like a commercial, try them out:
> > http://www.transcender.com/company/policy.asp?id=3
> > If you don't pass after using their product, you get a refund because

they
> > are guaranteed.
> >
> > Transcender continues to raise the bar for the other practice test
> > providers. Get your company to pay for them.
> >
> > Download samples from the practice test companies and compare for

> yourself.
> >
> > I appreciate your opinion. Substantiate it with proof.
> >
> > Good luck to you in your certification pursuits.
> > Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA
> >
> > "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:0cda01c37893$48ddb1c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > OK, fine, let's assume you're correct: Transcenders are
> > > not a dump of test questions. So, what are they?
> > >
> > > From what I've been able to learn, you get a simulation of
> > > the cert test - same number of questions, same time limit,
> > > purportedly the same difficulty, same subject matter, etc.
> > >
> > > I agree - deriving a set of truly valid test questions
> > > (not subject to interpretation, conjecture, etc.), is much
> > > harder than it looks. And than add to that the fact that
> > > the simulation has to be truly representative of the real
> > > exam, and you're talking about a product that would be
> > > pretty expensive to develop.
> > >
> > > But I have yet to hear anyone say that Transcender really
> > > posesses that kind of quality. Why should I trust it?
> > >
> > > One thing is clear to me: There's plenty of books, study
> > > guides, courses, practice tests out there and a lot of
> > > what I've seen is junk. Personally, I think there's too
> > > many people trying to do the same thing and there probably
> > > isn't enough money in it for anybody to do a really
> > > credible job.
> > >
> > > Maybe Transcender is a cut above the rest...but I'm still
> > > not convinced.
> > >
> > > Just one opinion, of course.

[DllImport\(\MCSD.dll\,EntryPoint=\PassTests\\)]

Of course, Lotus 123, WordStar, and WordPerfect were once the cadillac of
their fields and rode on their reputations, too.

You still keep asking others to prove why Transcenders is not worth 3 times
as much as other test providers but don't supply anything but your own
opinion as to why they are worth it. Have you used any of the other
practice test providers? If not, how can you substantiate your claim that
Transcenders is worth so much?

Thanks.

"Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

see
> > why they aren't certified by Microsoft!
> >

> > "Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%23PP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Rich, at the risk of sounding like a commercial, try them out:
> > > http://www.transcender.com/company/policy.asp?id=3
> > > If you don't pass after using their product, you get a refund because

> they
> > > are guaranteed.
> > >
> > > Transcender continues to raise the bar for the other practice test
> > > providers. Get your company to pay for them.
> > >
> > > Download samples from the practice test companies and compare for

> > yourself.
> > >
> > > I appreciate your opinion. Substantiate it with proof.
> > >
> > > Good luck to you in your certification pursuits.
> > > Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA
> > >
> > > "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:0cda01c37893$48ddb1c0$(E-Mail Removed)...

Davin Mickelson

My experience with the other two PTPs is as follows:

When I used an STSWare exam, the questions were quite short (hardly story
problems) with four multiple choice answers. The questions were easier than
the real exam and the graphics were of lower quality than Transcender.

When I tried a MeasureUp exam, the questions were harder than the real exam
but were based on useless information (Example: what is the largest font you
can used in Visual Interdev?) that do not come up in the real exam.
Admittedly, I experienced this during the first year of MeasureUp's
existence.

I will also admit this - it's been awhile since I've strayed away from
Transcender simply due to my satisfaction with the product. When something
works, don't mess with it.

All I can state is my opinion based on my experiences. I do not wish to sway
others with hearsay or advertising.

I am not asking others to provide reasons for Transcender's cost. I'm asking
Microsoft employees (are you?) for a detailed explanation of why they think
using Transcender is cheating.

I am impressed that MeasureUp also has a money-back guarantee.

Sincerely,
> [...]

> > > than with MeasureUp, but the Transcender links to study materials

appear
> > > more complete.
> > >
> > > One difference I immediately saw -- out of 14 questions on the

> Transcender
> > > demo exam, 3 of them were basically word-for-word the same as actual
> > > questions I had on the real exam.
> > >
> > > It appears there is absolutely nothing to substantiate why Transcender

> > costs
> > > 3 times as much except for the fact that some of the questions are

> > directly
> > > off the exam, judging solely from this comparison. If they make it a

> > habit
> > > to use exact copies of the real exam questions it is extremely easy to

> see
> > > why they aren't certified by Microsoft!
> > >

> > > "Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Leigh Kendall

Davin-

Has Microsoft (or it's employees) actually made the statement or given the
impression that using Transcender exams is the equivalent of cheating?

If so, when? And what was their argument, since they themselves endorse a
couple of their competitors. I can't see how they can endorse MeasureUp and
others, but in the same breath condemn Transcender (if they did).

Leigh

"Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > considered
> > > the Cadillac of practice tests. STSWare has been around quite awhile

but
> > > hasn't beefed up their quality up until recently.
> > >
> > > I just don't believe using Transcenders is cheating while using the

> MCPTP
> > > exams is not.
> > >
> > > It seems that your real complaint is the cost. I agree - it's

expensive.

> > > Keep in mind that it is excellent marketing to have your business

> > advertised
> > > on Microsoft's web site. If I were to start a practice exam company,
> > > becoming an MCPTP would be a top priority. For Transcender, they don't

> > need
> > > to. Their reputation speaks for itself.
> > >
> > > Davin Mickelson
> > >

> > > "[DllImport("MCSD.dll",EntryPoint="PassTests")]" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Davin Mickelson

Yes. I did some looking back to may 28th. Here's one gentleman from
Microsoft (not part of the MS Cert Team) stating they are cheat sheets. I
followed it with my response.

I believe it happened one other time with a leader from the Microsoft Cert
team a month or two later but cannot find it.

Davin Mickelson

Transcript:
Message 3 in thread
From: Davin ((E-Mail Removed))
Subject: Re: Want to Buy Transcender 70-306

View this article only
Newsgroups: Microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd
Date: 2003-05-28 14:26:38 PST

Hi.
I find it interesting that Scott considers one of MCP Magazine's (magazine
is owned and controlled by Microsoft) top sponsors as a "cheat sheet"
provider.

I was under the assumption that Transcender was not a Microsoft Certified
Practice Test Provider (MCPTP) because of their choice not to pay Microsoft
for the advertising/sales leads from the MS "TrainCert" web site.
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...cticetests.asp

I don't know the facts. I don't work for either company.

Davin Mickelson

"Scott Moore [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Legitimate use of Transcender is sort of an oxymoron. They are cheat
> sheets, and MS doesn't endorse them at all.
>

> --
> Scott Moore
> Microsoft Corp. - OEM Mobile Devices TAM
>
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no

rights.
> You assume all risks for your use.

"Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > Sincerely,
> > Davin Mickelson
> >
> > "[DllImport("MCSD.dll",EntryPoint="PassTests")]" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote
> > in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Of course, Lotus 123, WordStar, and WordPerfect were once the cadillac

> of
> > > their fields and rode on their reputations, too.
> > >
> > > You still keep asking others to prove why Transcenders is not worth 3

> > times
> > > as much as other test providers but don't supply anything but your own
> > > opinion as to why they are worth it. Have you used any of the other
> > > practice test providers? If not, how can you substantiate your claim

> that
> > > Transcenders is worth so much?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > > "Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Eric Engler

>Some of those who use Transcender swear by them, claim they are not dumps,
>but provide no explanations of why Transcender tests are worth 3 times as
>much as other test providers. Sounds like a dump of the questions to me!

Transcenders are NOT dumps. I like the excellent explanations of right
and wrong answers they provide. They help you learn the key words and
phrases that you need!

Kline Sphere

>They help you learn the key words and
>phrases that you need!

.... Without actual understanding the questions....