Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk

David Phillip Oster wrote:
> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
> it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
> its power switch.
>
> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
>
> Any advice on getting it going?

Apply pressure to the end of the battery drawer whilst switching on. If
the camera then comes on and goes off when you release the pressure
then (a) your new batteries are slightly shorter than normal, and/or
(b) the contact springs have weakened.

To retension/lengthen the springs, use something like a crochet hook to
give them one or two slight tugs -- excessive force or visible bending
of the flat contact or extension of the conical spring should not be
required. Try this anyway even if the pressure test doesn't work. If
you can't find a crochet hook, a small flat-bladed screwdriver can
probably be used at an angle to exercise them enough.

Chris