Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pelican swallows pigeon

Pelican swallows pigeon

Paul Heslop

Philippe wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >>Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.
> >>
> >>Sheldon

> > wot... pigeons?
> >

> > :O)
> >

> Or do you mean slamming teeth down and shaking vigorously side to side?

:O)

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Paul Heslop

jeremy wrote:

> She probably IS--but for somebody else!

heh, that's why he is so bitter and twisted

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

John Turco

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> That's quite a video clip. Thanks. I suppose I should have felt sorry
> for the pigeon, but I just had to laugh while watching it.
>
> My co-worker raised the question of whether this will become a habit for
> that particular pelican; pigeon-hunting has got to be easier than
> chasing fish.
>
> -dms

Hello, Daniel:

Are birds known to be cannibalistic, very often?

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Paul Heslop

John Turco wrote:

> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>
> <edited, for brevity>
>
> > That's quite a video clip. Thanks. I suppose I should have felt sorry
> > for the pigeon, but I just had to laugh while watching it.
> >
> > My co-worker raised the question of whether this will become a habit for
> > that particular pelican; pigeon-hunting has got to be easier than
> > chasing fish.
> >
> > -dms

> Hello, Daniel:
>
> Are birds known to be cannibalistic, very often?
>
> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

well, even garden birds will eat meat, including chicken, and gulls
will eat penguin babies etc (alive!) Hawks of course will eat other
birds.
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:21:37 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

>> Are birds known to be cannibalistic, very often?
>>
>> Cordially,
>> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> well, even garden birds will eat meat, including chicken, and gulls
> will eat penguin babies etc (alive!) Hawks of course will eat other
> birds.

But this behavior is still not cannibalistic.
--
Neil
swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

Paul Heslop

Neil Ellwood wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:21:37 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> >> Are birds known to be cannibalistic, very often?
> >>
> >> Cordially,
> >> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > well, even garden birds will eat meat, including chicken, and gulls
> > will eat penguin babies etc (alive!) Hawks of course will eat other
> > birds.

> But this behavior is still not cannibalistic.
> --
> Neil
> swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

which one, the pelican or the other birds? anything that eats its own
breed is a cannibal, I guess. I suspect though that we had a bird
which was just very hungry and took a one off shot at something
nearby.... I'm going to be pedantic now :O)

cannibal

–noun 1. a person who eats human flesh, esp. for magical or religious
purposes, as among certain tribal peoples.
2. any animal that eats its own kind.
–adjective 3. pertaining to or characteristic of a cannibal.
4. given to cannibalism.

This is what bugged me with the mad cow thing. They deliberately fed
cows with other animals, including other cows if I remember right. A
bit like mincing up dead people, shoving them in with beef in a pie
then wondering what the fuss is about when you're found out.

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Neil Ellwood wrote:

>> > well, even garden birds will eat meat, including chicken, and gulls
>> > will eat penguin babies etc (alive!) Hawks of course will eat other
>> > birds.

>> But this behavior is still not cannibalistic.
>> --
>> Neil
>> swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

> which one, the pelican or the other birds?

Neither are cannibalistic.

> anything that eats its own breed is a cannibal, I guess.

Correct. The pelican would be a cannibal if it ate another pelican.
Are you a cannibal if you eat meat from a cow?

--
Måns Rullgård

Paul Heslop

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Neil Ellwood wrote:

> >> But this behavior is still not cannibalistic.
> >> --
> >> Neil
> >> swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

> > which one, the pelican or the other birds?

> Neither are cannibalistic.
>
> > anything that eats its own breed is a cannibal, I guess.

> Correct. The pelican would be a cannibal if it ate another pelican.
> Are you a cannibal if you eat meat from a cow?

Ah, but according to QI, if I remember rightly, only dogs are actually
different species to each other, all the rest are just variation on a
theme... or something :O)

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Bill

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>This is what bugged me with the mad cow thing. They deliberately fed
>cows with other animals, including other cows if I remember right. A
>bit like mincing up dead people, shoving them in with beef in a pie
>then wondering what the fuss is about when you're found out.

Soylent Green is people!

Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:47:23 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> Neil Ellwood wrote:

>> > well, even garden birds will eat meat, including chicken, and gulls
>> > will eat penguin babies etc (alive!) Hawks of course will eat other
>> > birds.

>> But this behavior is still not cannibalistic.
>> --
>> Neil
>> swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

> which one, the pelican or the other birds? anything that eats its own
> breed is a cannibal, I guess. I suspect though that we had a bird
> which was just very hungry and took a one off shot at something
> nearby.... I'm going to be pedantic now :O)

The pelican ate a pigeon which is a different species.

> This is what bugged me with the mad cow thing. They deliberately fed
> cows with other animals, including other cows if I remember right. A
> bit like mincing up dead people, shoving them in with beef in a pie
> then wondering what the fuss is about when you're found out.

The culprit in the feed was sheep remains, some of which was infected
with scrapie.