Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pelican swallows pigeon

Pelican swallows pigeon

Paul Heslop

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:56:51 GMT, Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Daniel Silevitch wrote:

> >> If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
> >> you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
> >> in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
> >>
> >> -dms

> > Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
> > always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
> > be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
> > incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
> > himself a lot of free publicity....
> >
> > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
> > (actually dated earlier this month)
> >
> > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

> That's quite a video clip. Thanks. I suppose I should have felt sorry
> for the pigeon, but I just had to laugh while watching it.
>
> My co-worker raised the question of whether this will become a habit for
> that particular pelican; pigeon-hunting has got to be easier than
> chasing fish.
>
> -dms

It's a weird one. Maybe it was just too hungry to pass up the chance
of an easy meal, or at least it thought so until the meal tried to get
away.
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Paul Heslop

Cynicor wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> >
> > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
> > (actually dated earlier this month)
> >
> > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

> That is SO COOL! God I love death!
>
> Errr...I mean, uh, quite an interesting scientific record of a natural
> predator-pray struggle that deserves further study.

heh heh, that's your card marked :O)

jack wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> : On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:45:49 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
> : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :: and someone happened to be in the right place at the right
> :: time with a camera:
> :
> : Better than eating small dogs.
>
> Personally, I hate dogs (and all the crap they leave behind for me and my
> children to step in). Anyway, what's wrong with you people? Can't you all
> see that the photo is a fake? Look at the obvious 'cut-n-paste' line
> between the pigeon and the pelican. Don't you all see it? Geez, it's as
> clear as a god-damned Muslim in Salt Lake City (Utah). Later....
>
> j.

Jack, as we have been mentioning the story itself is a little fishy
(bad pun) and many people think it's a con (myself included) but take
a look at the short video also doing the rounds

lubecki@hotmail.com

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> > If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
> > you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
> > in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
> >
> > -dms

> Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
> always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
> be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
> incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
> himself a lot of free publicity....
>
> oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
> (actually dated earlier this month)
>
> http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

Well, just because there is a video, and the pelican actually DID
swallow the pigeon, that doesn't mean that the photo is real. Most
likely a photographer saw it happen but didn't get a photo, so he
created one later. Notice that the pigeon is strangely calm in the
picture, just sitting there quietly in the pelican's bill. Also, there
are pretty sharp boundaries between the pigeon and the pelican -
perfect for a Photoshop job, which is most likely what this is.

-Gniewko

Paul Heslop

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> > > If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
> > > you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
> > > in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
> > >
> > > -dms

> > Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
> > always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
> > be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
> > incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
> > himself a lot of free publicity....
> >
> > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
> > (actually dated earlier this month)
> >
> > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

> Well, just because there is a video, and the pelican actually DID
> swallow the pigeon, that doesn't mean that the photo is real. Most
> likely a photographer saw it happen but didn't get a photo, so he
> created one later. Notice that the pigeon is strangely calm in the
> picture, just sitting there quietly in the pelican's bill. Also, there
> are pretty sharp boundaries between the pigeon and the pelican -
> perfect for a Photoshop job, which is most likely what this is.
>
> -Gniewko

Yes, I am sure the vid is dated earlier than the photograph, which I
have still not heard of any other witness. I think what we may have is
an opportunist photographer. I have done a bit of hunting and every
mention of the recent one that I can find mentions Cathal McNaughton
by name and he is a press photographer

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Sheldon

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
> camera:
>
> Story:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6083468.stm
> Larger photo:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...756/html/1.stm
>
> -dms

Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.

Sheldon

Paul Heslop

Sheldon wrote:

> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> > and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
> > camera:
> >
> > Story:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6083468.stm
> > Larger photo:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...756/html/1.stm
> >
> > -dms

> Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.
>
> Sheldon

wot... pigeons?

:O)

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

name

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
> camera:
>
> Story:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6083468.stm
> Larger photo:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...756/html/1.stm
>
> -dms

Reminded me of this one:

<http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=62945>

Philippe

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>>
>>>and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
>>>camera:
>>>
>>>Story:
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6083468.stm
>>>Larger photo:
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...756/html/1.stm
>>>
>>>-dms

>>Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.
>>
>>Sheldon

> wot... pigeons?
>

> :O)

Or do you mean slamming teeth down and shaking vigorously side to side?

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

jeremy

>>>Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.

She probably IS--but for somebody else!