Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus E-500 or Sony DSC-R1?

Olympus E-500 or Sony DSC-R1?

jkdrummer@yahoo.com

So I've decided it's either the Sony DSC-R1:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

Or the Olympus Evolt 500: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/

But the hardest decision is who I should buy it from - the good guys
charge more while the creepy NY dealers charge a lot less. Is there a
compromise with dealers?

TIA
JaKe
Seattle

bmoag

These are very different cameras.
The Sony is an excellent camera for what it is but it has a fixed lens, EVF,
slower handling and Sony's particular take on advanced camera controls. The
EVF can be very frustrating to use under many circumstances but you can get
used to it. Now that Sony has the Sonalta line I wonder if the DSC-R1 is the
last of its breed for Sony.
The Olympus is an excellent camera for what it is but locks you into a
sensor and system that is less flexible and in the long run, should you
purchase any additional lenses, more expensive than competing dSLR systems.
There are realistic concerns about the ability of this product to compete
with APS-c sensors, but apparently Leicasonic has now joined that group.
If you want a smaller lighter weight dSLR look into the Pentax line,
particularly now that antishake has been added. Amazing lens bargains abound
in the Pentax mount.
The Sony alpha is also relatively lighter weight, at least compared to a
Nikon D80, and has image stabilization.
There are many established internet/mail order vendors who are extremely
reliable in my experience, to name just 3: Adorama, B&H, Beach Camera.

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> So I've decided it's either the Sony DSC-R1:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
>
> Or the Olympus Evolt 500: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/
>
> But the hardest decision is who I should buy it from - the good guys
> charge more while the creepy NY dealers charge a lot less. Is there a
> compromise with dealers?

I'm currently using the Sony R1. While the camera is ok and the lens is
good, the R1 is essentially unable to focus in low light. During my
previous trip to China I had to carry two cameras in my bag: the Sony R1
for daytime shots and an Olympus 8080 for low light and night shots (the
8080 has a very sharp lens and focuses well even in almost total
darkness).

The main reason to go for an R1 is the live preview. If you don't need
that you'll be better off with an E500 or the newer E400 which has 10MP.
I haven't tried an E500 myself but I'm pretty sure that its autofocus is
better than the one of the R1.

If you don't need 10MP you could go for an Olympus E330 and have the
best of both worlds: live preview and interchangeable lenses & good AF.
--

Alfred Molon

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> So I've decided it's either the Sony DSC-R1:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
>
> Or the Olympus Evolt 500: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/
>
> But the hardest decision is who I should buy it from - the good guys
> charge more while the creepy NY dealers charge a lot less. Is there a
> compromise with dealers?
>
> TIA
> JaKe
> Seattle

The creepy NY dealers don't charge less, you'll never get a camera for the
very low prices they quote unless you buy a lot of over-priced accessories.
Plus, they're probably selling grey-market cameras that carry no USA
warranty. Try the good NY dealers like B&H or Adorama.