Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Used 20D vs D70s

Used 20D vs D70s

=?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=

I have now hand-tested (how does it feel?) D70s, D50 and 400D. 400D
feels too small for my hands, and the kit zoom is awful. D70s is my
favourite, and will see if it gets discounted as sort of stock
clearance.

But then I thought, how does it compare to a 2nd hand 20D? In
particular, what is the size like?

I am not scared of 2nd hand

Total price will not differ that much.

/Martin

tomm42

On Oct 25, 6:47 am, "Martin Sørensen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I have now hand-tested (how does it feel?) D70s, D50 and 400D. 400D
> feels too small for my hands, and the kit zoom is awful. D70s is my
> favourite, and will see if it gets discounted as sort of stock
> clearance.
>
> But then I thought, how does it compare to a 2nd hand 20D? In
> particular, what is the size like?
>
> I am not scared of 2nd hand
>
> Total price will not differ that much.
>
> /Martin

Check to see how the camera operates there seem to be Canon people and
Nikon people addressing ergonomics. The big problem with the D70 is the
viewfinder, the 20D would be better. What you have to watch out for in
a used digital is there are a lot of pros using the medium range
cameras. I'd try to check how many frames have gone through the camera,
may be as simple as taking a picture and checking the number on the
card, some cameras you can use and EXIF extractor to get the info. It
is good to see the camera, to see if it is in good condition. Hopefully
you can find one that is little used by someone with a megapixel
fetish.

good luck
Tom

ink

"tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>Nikon people addressing ergonomics. The big problem with the D70 is the
>viewfinder, the 20D would be better. What you have to watch out for in

Everything you said was true, Tom - except calling the viewfinder of the D70
a "big" problem. It's not. It's a viewfinder, it works just fine. Granted,
it's smaller and less bright than e.g., the D200's, but I wear glasses and I
have no problems with it whatsoever.

Cheers,
ink

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:00:49 +0200, in rec.photo.digital "ink"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Everything you said was true, Tom - except calling the viewfinder of the D70
>a "big" problem. It's not. It's a viewfinder, it works just fine. Granted,
>it's smaller and less bright than e.g., the D200's, but I wear glasses and I
>have no problems with it whatsoever.

Having both a D70 and D200, I miss the additional info provided in the
D200's vf when using the D70.
-
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

tomm42

On Oct 25, 11:00 am, "ink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>
> >Nikon people addressing ergonomics. The big problem with the D70 is the
> >viewfinder, the 20D would be better. What you have to watch out for inEverything you said was true, Tom - except calling the viewfinder of the D70

> a "big" problem. It's not. It's a viewfinder, it works just fine. Granted,
> it's smaller and less bright than e.g., the D200's, but I wear glasses and I
> have no problems with it whatsoever.
>
> Cheers,
> ink

I use both cameras and shoot a lot of 1:1 macro, to me the dimness of
the D70 find is a big problem. I do wear glasses, the D200 has a much
brighter and easier to focus finder. The D70 is a popular camera so
there are probably more folks that it doesn't bother than ones it does,
but I just thought I would let the OP knows that the viewfinder could
be a question. The D200 viewfinder is better than the 20D's too, but
not by as much.

Tom

Bill Crocker

"Martin Sørensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have now hand-tested (how does it feel?) D70s, D50 and 400D. 400D
> feels too small for my hands, and the kit zoom is awful. D70s is my
> favourite, and will see if it gets discounted as sort of stock
> clearance.
>
> But then I thought, how does it compare to a 2nd hand 20D? In
> particular, what is the size like?
>
> I am not scared of 2nd hand
>
> Total price will not differ that much.
>
> /Martin

If you have big hands, go for the Nikon...it wins hands down!
(no pun intended)

Bill Crocker

frederick

tomm42 wrote:

> The big problem with the D70 is the
> viewfinder, the 20D would be better.

Except it isn't. You keep posting this claim, and you really need to go
down to your local camera shop and compare them. Even the 30d isn't
better. The d80/200 are better - so are some pentaxes. The 5d is much
better, for obvious reasons.

Colin_D

Martin Sørensen wrote:
> I have now hand-tested (how does it feel?) D70s, D50 and 400D. 400D
> feels too small for my hands, and the kit zoom is awful. D70s is my
> favourite, and will see if it gets discounted as sort of stock
> clearance.
>
> But then I thought, how does it compare to a 2nd hand 20D? In
> particular, what is the size like?
>
> I am not scared of 2nd hand
>
> Total price will not differ that much.
>
> /Martin

There seems to be too much emphasis in this thread on the physical
handling and VF characteristics between the two cameras. My choice
would be on results, and damn the handling. You can get used to the
ergonomics of almost any camera, but you can't get used to inferior
results from the camera. IMO the Canons with 8.2 or more MP are
inherently better than a 6 MP camera; and the Canon noise at high ISO is
less than the D70. The one drawback is the Canon kit lens, which is
only adequate, but lenses can be replaced.

Colin D.

Colin_D skrev:

> There seems to be too much emphasis in this thread on the physical
> handling and VF characteristics between the two cameras. My choice
> would be on results, and damn the handling. You can get used to the
> ergonomics of almost any camera, but you can't get used to inferior
> results from the camera. IMO the Canons with 8.2 or more MP are
> inherently better than a 6 MP camera; and the Canon noise at high ISO is
> less than the D70. The one drawback is the Canon kit lens, which is
> only adequate, but lenses can be replaced.

I disagree about the handling. I had an OM2 for some years, I never got
to work with it the way I work(ed) with the FA that replaced it - and
for me the results were better when using the camera was second nature.

6 vs 8 MP? Sure, more is better, but 15% linear resolution is next to
nothing. I read Ken Rockwell's review (and others), and the conclusion
was that there were pro's and cons with both.

About lenses: Yes, they can be replaced, but there is also budget...

Thanks to you and others for input,

Martin

Paul Rubin

"Martin Sørensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I disagree about the handling. I had an OM2 for some years, I never got
> to work with it the way I work(ed) with the FA that replaced it - and
> for me the results were better when using the camera was second nature.

I never felt right using an FA, and I had one for a while. I could
never remember what mode it was in. The FE and FM were foolproof.
The OM1 was very nice though I didn't use it enough to get used to the
shutter speed control being on a lens ring. I never had an OM2 though
I think I tried one out.