Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Used 20D vs D70s

Used 20D vs D70s

Ståle Sannerud

> There seems to be too much emphasis in this thread on the physical
> handling and VF characteristics between the two cameras. My choice would
> be on results, and damn the handling. You can get used to the ergonomics
> of almost any camera, but you can't get used to inferior results from the
> camera. IMO the Canons with 8.2 or more MP are inherently better than a 6
> MP camera; and the Canon noise at high ISO is less than the D70. The one
> drawback is the Canon kit lens, which is only adequate, but lenses can be
> replaced.
>
> Colin D.

I utterly disagree. _ALL_ modern DSLRs are capable of giving the results one
need. All of them! A couple of megapixes more or less is utterly
meaningless, once you have 6 you have all you need unless you are planning
to have full-page pictures published in a magazine or something.

Handling and ergonomy is crucial to getting the results you want, when you
want them. If you are not comfortable with the camera, if you do not have
easy access to the functions you need, you will not be able to use the
camera to its maximum capability. And the viewfinder is the single most
important aspect of DSLR usability I think.

I do agree that Canon seem to have an edge in high ISO quality though. But
it is only a matter of degree, the difference is not revolutionary.

Paul Rubin

"Ståle Sannerud" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Handling and ergonomy is crucial to getting the results you want, when you
> want them. If you are not comfortable with the camera, if you do not have
> easy access to the functions you need, you will not be able to use the
> camera to its maximum capability. And the viewfinder is the single most
> important aspect of DSLR usability I think.

Nah, the D70's viewfinder isn't great, but it's perfectly usable and
much better than the typical P/S viewfinder. It's a masked-off 35mm
viewfinder (D70 is built on the old N80 body, IIRC) so the view is
smaller than what we're used to, but the magnification is the same, I
think. The handling etc. matters more.

Ståle Sannerud

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ståle Sannerud" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Handling and ergonomy is crucial to getting the results you want, when
>> you
>> want them. If you are not comfortable with the camera, if you do not have
>> easy access to the functions you need, you will not be able to use the
>> camera to its maximum capability. And the viewfinder is the single most
>> important aspect of DSLR usability I think.

> Nah, the D70's viewfinder isn't great, but it's perfectly usable and
> much better than the typical P/S viewfinder. It's a masked-off 35mm
> viewfinder (D70 is built on the old N80 body, IIRC) so the view is
> smaller than what we're used to, but the magnification is the same, I
> think. The handling etc. matters more.

Ståle Sannerud

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ståle Sannerud" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Handling and ergonomy is crucial to getting the results you want, when
>> you
>> want them. If you are not comfortable with the camera, if you do not have
>> easy access to the functions you need, you will not be able to use the
>> camera to its maximum capability. And the viewfinder is the single most
>> important aspect of DSLR usability I think.

> Nah, the D70's viewfinder isn't great, but it's perfectly usable and
> much better than the typical P/S viewfinder. It's a masked-off 35mm
> viewfinder (D70 is built on the old N80 body, IIRC) so the view is
> smaller than what we're used to, but the magnification is the same, I
> think. The handling etc. matters more.

Sodding Outlook Express... let's try one more time:

The D70 viewfinder isn't too bad in absolute terms, and far superior to a
p&s camera's peephole or (shock, horror) an EVF. But compared to a Real
Camera (tm), it sucks to high heaven (I've looked through a friend's Nikon
F-series' viewfinder. Ooooh baby...). I'd take a real prism over a
pentamirror any day of the week. I'd not want to manual-focus unaided using
a D70 - fortunately the focus confirmation still works with manual lenses on
it, this helps some.

I hear that Nikon pulled some rather neat tricks out of the hat lately and
gave the D200 and D80 really good viewfinders on their crop sensors; welcome
news indeed!

Paul Rubin

"Ståle Sannerud" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The D70 viewfinder isn't too bad in absolute terms, and far superior
> to a p&s camera's peephole or (shock, horror) an EVF. But compared
> to a Real Camera (tm), it sucks to high heaven (I've looked through
> a friend's Nikon F-series' viewfinder. Ooooh baby...). I'd take a
> real prism over a pentamirror any day of the week. I'd not want to
> manual-focus unaided using a D70 - fortunately the focus
> confirmation still works with manual lenses on it, this helps some.

I just pulled my ancient F3 off the shelf, and after cleaning the
years of dust off it, I fired a few shots with it (with no film
inside). I'd forgotten how good that camera feels to use, and yes,
the viewfinder is great. But I think the main benefit of the good
viewfinder is the ease of manual focusing. With an AF camera,
especially a digital that's not costing you significant money every
time you squeeze the shutter, just compose and shoot and bracket a
lot.