Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fujifilm FinePix S5200

Fujifilm FinePix S5200

Greg

I'm looking at purchasing the Fujifilm FinePix S5200. Consumer Reports
rates this a 79/100 and is a CR best buy. Does anyone have any
experience with this unit? Good / Bad ?

Thanks,

Greg

m Ransley

I wouldnt trust C.R. to know what is important try www.dpreview.com

ASAAR

On 24 Oct 2006 12:04:26 -0700, Greg wrote:

> I'm looking at purchasing the Fujifilm FinePix S5200. Consumer Reports
> rates this a 79/100 and is a CR best buy. Does anyone have any
> experience with this unit? Good / Bad ?

Not with that model. I have its predecessor, the 4mp S5100, and
it's been a very good camera. The S5100 is so efficient that unless
you take a lot of pictures that require the flash, you don't even
need to use rechargeable NiMH batteries. A set of alkalines used
for daylight photos can last for 800 shots. The S5200 requires even
less battery power than the S5100. The wide end of the 10x zoom
lens isn't especially wide, but it may be sufficient for you. If
not, Fuji's wide angle lens adapter is very good and doesn't degrade
images as cheaper lens adapters often do. I don't know about the
S5200, but the S5100 is able to zoom in at up to a bit more than 14x
when reviewing pictures, which I believe is more than most other
cameras, and this can be quite useful. After nearly 2 years, the
S5100 is still performing as well as the day I first used it. I
haven't used it very much for videos, but it does a good job with
them too. If you get it, I'd recommend getting a 1GB type M xD
card. They're much cheaper now than when I got mine. The type H
cards are a little faster, but probably won't provide any advantage
over the type M cards in the S5200. But they're more expensive, and
have compatibility problems with some card readers. The only thing
that I found that the S5100 didn't do very well relates to manual
focusing. It can do it, but slooooowly, and not nearly as easily or
accurately as Fuji's much larger S9000. But then manual focusing is
rarely needed or desired. If it is, then a real DSLR would probably
be the way to go.