Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rechargable Li-Ion CR-V3 vs 2x NiMH AA

Rechargable Li-Ion CR-V3 vs 2x NiMH AA

mikescollan@hotmail.com

Test caried out using:-
Olympus SP-350 camera c/w 1Gb high speed xD card
Full Auto mode ; HQ 3264 x 2448 ; Flash always
Fixed target 3m away.

Using 2x2700mAh Vapextech NiMH AA Cells
4 weeks old & cycled about 5 times (Fresh from charger)
after 18 mins 120 shots taken - Camera starts to slow down
after 38 mins 202 shots taken - (10 secs+ per shot now)
after 65 mins 300 shots taken
(camera now unusable due to being so slow)
As a comparison against MY normal useage, I have seen these batteries
stop working after 60 mins of a dive and approx 50 shots

Using new, freshly charged Power-Plus 1300mAh RCR-V3 Li-Ion cell.
18 min = 185 shots
38 min = 395 shots
59 min = 604 shots (card full - reformatted it & continued - clock
still running throughout)
65 min = 651 shots
Battery still showing green. still 6-7 seconds to take a shot & be
ready for the next one.

Fairly conclusive.
Longer lasting, Cycles flash quicker, Takes more shots.
I know what I'll be recommending.

Paul Rubin

> Using 2x2700mAh Vapextech NiMH AA Cells...
> Using new, freshly charged Power-Plus 1300mAh RCR-V3 Li-Ion cell....

Something is wrong here. Did you do a capacity test on those
Vapextech cells? The 2700 mah rating may be way overstated.

m Ransley

Do it with cells from a company of known and proven quality, Sanyo.
Vaportex is doutfull of 2700 ma since these are relativly new and
possibly junk compared to proven Sanyos.

Dave Cohen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Test caried out using:-
> Olympus SP-350 camera c/w 1Gb high speed xD card
> Full Auto mode ; HQ 3264 x 2448 ; Flash always
> Fixed target 3m away.
>
> Using 2x2700mAh Vapextech NiMH AA Cells
> 4 weeks old & cycled about 5 times (Fresh from charger)
> after 18 mins 120 shots taken - Camera starts to slow down
> after 38 mins 202 shots taken - (10 secs+ per shot now)
> after 65 mins 300 shots taken
> (camera now unusable due to being so slow)
> As a comparison against MY normal useage, I have seen these batteries
> stop working after 60 mins of a dive and approx 50 shots
>
> Using new, freshly charged Power-Plus 1300mAh RCR-V3 Li-Ion cell.
> 18 min = 185 shots
> 38 min = 395 shots
> 59 min = 604 shots (card full - reformatted it & continued - clock
> still running throughout)
> 65 min = 651 shots
> Battery still showing green. still 6-7 seconds to take a shot & be
> ready for the next one.
>
> Fairly conclusive.
> Longer lasting, Cycles flash quicker, Takes more shots.
> I know what I'll be recommending.

I looked this up on the web. I don't see how these could be used as AA
replacement on my Canon. I assume your camera takes the package shown.
Dave Cohen

Mr.Bolshoyhuy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Test caried out using:-
>
> Using new, freshly charged Power-Plus 1300mAh RCR-V3 Li-Ion cell.
> Fairly conclusive.
> Longer lasting, Cycles flash quicker, Takes more shots.
> I know what I'll be recommending.

I have said before, junk your NiMh and use either Lithium AA
or CR-V3.
Even Alkalines give better refresh rates between shots taken.
Furthermore, you will always mix up your batteries.

mikescollan@hotmail.com

m Ransley wrote:
> Do it with cells from a company of known and proven quality, Sanyo.
> Vaportex is doutfull of 2700 ma since these are relativly new and
> possibly junk compared to proven Sanyos.

I had previously tried it with Uniross 2000 mAh (when comparing against
the Vapextech) and the vapextech cells easily outperformed those. Or
do those not count as proven? I don't have the figures to hand, but it
was something in the region of 260 shots before becoming unusably slow,
with the same kind of performance in terms of flash cycle time.

Additionally, the way I use the camera (usually in an underwater
housing) means that the low temperature performance of the Li-Ion
technology over that of NiMH means the choice is a no brainer for me.

By all means continue to use NiMH, I only posted the information as I
found very little when I was deciding whether to try Li-Ion.

m Ransley

Li- ion are very very good but my camera and many can`t use them. One of
the camera review sites posted a test of all manufacturers of NiMh
actual capacities, your biggest manufacturers that have the best cells
are Energiser, Panasonic and Sanyo. I believe some 2700 brands are
rebadged 2300-2500 cells. At present I think Sanyos are tops. I believe
they have a new 2700 called Eneloop that holds its charge better. For a
camera to use both is great, but otherwise I prefer NiMh, they are cheap
and available most anyplace if you need them in a hurry.

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) (m Ransley) writes:
> rebadged 2300-2500 cells. At present I think Sanyos are tops. I believe
> they have a new 2700 called Eneloop that holds its charge better.

The Eneloops do hold charge better (shown in tests) but their capacity
is only about 2000 mah. The improved charge retention does not come
for free.

ASAAR

On 25 Oct 2006 08:53:29 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> rebadged 2300-2500 cells. At present I think Sanyos are tops. I believe
>> they have a new 2700 called Eneloop that holds its charge better.

> The Eneloops do hold charge better (shown in tests) but their capacity
> is only about 2000 mah. The improved charge retention does not come
> for free.

Eneloops wouldn't be very good for people that take so many
pictures that their batteries are frequently recharged. But for
those that don't, the 2,000 mAh batteries may have a greater
effective capacity than 2,700 mAh batteries. I wouldn't trust any
normal 2,700 mAh NiMH batteries that sat in the camera or in a box
for a month or two after being charged to have retained even 1,500
mAh. But 2,000 mAh Eneloops could sit that long and probably have
more than 1,900 mAh remaining.

Li-Ion batteries still retain a couple of advantages for some
people, but their greatest one, a much lower self discharge rate
than NiMH batteries is no more. Not only do Eneloops have a lower
self discharge rate, but unlike Li-Ion batteries, they won't die if
they go uncharged for 6 to 12 months.

Mueen Nawaz

Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
> I have said before, junk your NiMh and use either Lithium AA
> or CR-V3.
> Even Alkalines give better refresh rates between shots taken.
> Furthermore, you will always mix up your batteries.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the NiMH bashing.

And I also don't understand why his camera is slowing down. If my NiMH
are too low on charge, the camera turns off - but it never slows down.

I suspect the problems people have are with either poor batteries or a
poor charger.

With my 2700 mAh batteries, I never ran out in one day's shooting. It
charges quickly (2 hours max). And it is simply more cost effective than
Li batteries of the same capacity.

It pays to buy good NiMH batteries.

--
I think animal testing is a terrible idea. They get all nervous and give
the wrong answers.

/ \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

anl