Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon s3 question

Canon s3 question

SJ

I've really been reading up and practicing with the S3 and using it in
program mode. It's seems though, I get much better less noisy shots with
the flash up, even though the subject is beyond the flashes capability (over
meters). Does this make sense. In a semi-poorly lit situation, such as a
church, with my subject great than the flash range, I get a better(less
noisy shot) with the flash up rather than down, regardless of ISO. This is
on the program mode, not auto, so I know the ISO ahead of time, and have the
camera set on max resolution. Any sense to this at all? Thanks to all who
said to work with the S3 as it's worked better for me as I learned more
about it.
Scott

Pierre Vandevennne

"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> I've really been reading up and practicing with the S3 and using it in
> program mode. It's seems though, I get much better less noisy shots
> with the flash up, even though the subject is beyond the flashes
> capability (over meters). Does this make sense. In a semi-poorly lit
> situation, such as a church, with my subject great than the flash
> range, I get a better(less noisy shot) with the flash up rather than
> down, regardless of ISO. This is on the program mode, not auto, so I
> know the ISO ahead of time, and have the camera set on max resolution.
> Any sense to this at all? Thanks to all who said to work with the S3
> as it's worked better for me as I learned more about it.

Just look at the exif information of the picture after the picture has been
taken and don't assume you know which ISO was actually used. The noise will
basically depend on two things

- the actual ISO used. It is basically a multiplier so there is no miracle,
all other things being equal the shot will be noisier at 400 than it is at
100.

- the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the signal to
noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected result might no look
too good (still underexposed for example), but the streched result will
probably be better.

Pierre/PhotoRescue

SJ

"Pierre Vandevennne" <pierre@datarescue_ns.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9866F33CF3B0pierredatarescue@195.238.0.34. ..
"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> I've really been reading up and practicing with the S3 and using it in
> program mode. It's seems though, I get much better less noisy shots
> with the flash up, even though the subject is beyond the flashes
> capability (over meters). Does this make sense. In a semi-poorly lit
> situation, such as a church, with my subject great than the flash
> range, I get a better(less noisy shot) with the flash up rather than
> down, regardless of ISO. This is on the program mode, not auto, so I
> know the ISO ahead of time, and have the camera set on max resolution.
> Any sense to this at all? Thanks to all who said to work with the S3
> as it's worked better for me as I learned more about it.

Just look at the exif information of the picture after the picture has been
taken and don't assume you know which ISO was actually used. The noise will
basically depend on two things

- the actual ISO used. It is basically a multiplier so there is no miracle,
all other things being equal the shot will be noisier at 400 than it is at
100.

- the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the signal to
noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected result might no look
too good (still underexposed for example), but the streched result will
probably be better.

Pierre, I don't understand the second part of your response.
Scott

Pierre Vandevennne

"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> - the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the
> signal to noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected
> result might no look too good (still underexposed for example), but
> the streched result will probably be better.

> Pierre, I don't understand the second part of your response.
> Scott

Well, basically I was saying that, in most cases, a little more light can
make a big difference with the most underexposed areas of a picture,
especially if you post-process it a bit (histgram adjustment, eventually
curves, etc...).

Heyjohn

SJ wrote:
>> - the signal/noise ratio of the subject. If your flash raises the signal to
>> noise ratio from 10-1 to 20-1, the initial uncorrected result might no look
>> too good (still underexposed for example), but the streched result will
>> probably be better.
>>

> Pierre, I don't understand the second part of your response.
> Scott

Scott, I've noticed on my digital shots that shooting dark
is best and going for post enhancing in photoshop makes for
great photos. Basically, using the camera to capture the detail
and using post production to finish the photo. I don't know why
a digital is able to capture so much detail in the dark areas, vs
a traditional 35mm shot.