Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital P&S and color bit depth

Digital P&S and color bit depth

AAvK

Curious about digital point and shoot still cameras along the lines of
color qualities and color bit depth, my old Nikon 950 does a mere 24
bits which is 8 bits per RG and B channel. Are there any P&S machines
that go to at least 12/36 raw, or even better, to 14/42 raw?

Reason I ask is, it's a rather huge endevour to search it out, and I think
it is a good issue concerning higher-end P&S cameras that might be of
a genuine artistic quality.

--
}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

David J Taylor

AAvK wrote:
> Curious about digital point and shoot still cameras along the lines of
> color qualities and color bit depth, my old Nikon 950 does a mere 24
> bits which is 8 bits per RG and B channel. Are there any P&S machines
> that go to at least 12/36 raw, or even better, to 14/42 raw?
>
> Reason I ask is, it's a rather huge endevour to search it out, and I
> think it is a good issue concerning higher-end P&S cameras that might
> be of a genuine artistic quality.

The 8-bit is JPEG, which has a dynamic range approximately equal to 12-bit
RAW, because of the gamma-correction included in the JPEG files and not
the raw files. The compromise is that JPEG does not offer the same
accuracy as RAW.

Many non-SLR cameras offer 12-bit raw, I don't believe that any SLR or
non-SLR offer 14-bit - yet. Check D P Review for the features of
particular cameras - I think you can make a personalised comparison page
but don't ask me how!

David

bugbear

David J Taylor wrote:
> AAvK wrote:
>
>>Curious about digital point and shoot still cameras along the lines of
>>color qualities and color bit depth, my old Nikon 950 does a mere 24
>>bits which is 8 bits per RG and B channel. Are there any P&S machines
>>that go to at least 12/36 raw, or even better, to 14/42 raw?
>>
>>Reason I ask is, it's a rather huge endevour to search it out, and I
>>think it is a good issue concerning higher-end P&S cameras that might
>>be of a genuine artistic quality.

> The 8-bit is JPEG, which has a dynamic range approximately equal to 12-bit
> RAW, because of the gamma-correction included in the JPEG files and not
> the raw files. The compromise is that JPEG does not offer the same
> accuracy as RAW.

At the risk of topic drift, some cameras
offer TIFF as their "lossless" high quality
mode.

What correction (if any) has been applied,
and what bit depth is generated?

BugBear

AAvK

> At the risk of topic drift, some cameras
> offer TIFF as their "lossless" high quality
> mode.

That's what my Nikon 950 does. At 8/24 bit color depth.

> What correction (if any) has been applied,
> and what bit depth is generated?
>
> BugBear

That question doesn't apply unless you would clearify. I am asking what cameras
do give higher color bit depth than 8/24. Something to upgrade to, over the very
old 950 ('99).

You are a woodworker on the Albion, yes? I studied your pages a lot, especially
using the link page for workbenches, a great help.

--
}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:41:26 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "AAvK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Reason I ask is, it's a rather huge endevour to search it out, and I think
>it is a good issue concerning higher-end P&S cameras that might be of
>a genuine artistic quality.

Huge endeavor? Give us a break. Use the feature search engine at
dpreview and choose Raw uncompressed format.
-
http://EdwardGRuf.com

AAvK

> Huge endeavor? Give us a break.

chuckle chuckle

> Use the feature search engine at
> dpreview and choose Raw uncompressed format.

Thanks, tried that but nothing gave any indication of "actual" color bit depth...
or is it that simply "raw" means it will be a higher level, 12/36 no matter what?

--
}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:48:49 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "AAvK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Huge endeavor? Give us a break.

>chuckle chuckle

No pathetic, you can't be bothered to even click on a few links

>> Use the feature search engine at
>> dpreview and choose Raw uncompressed format.

>Thanks, tried that but nothing gave any indication of "actual" color bit depth...
>or is it that simply "raw" means it will be a higher level, 12/36 no matter what?

What's the "?" link for next to each line on the comparison page. god helps
those who help themselves. Of try a google search on dpreview article raw.
I'm not going to spoon feed you just because you're too lazy to look around
for yourself. This is basic info.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

ASAAR

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:52:31 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
SIG!) wrote:

>>> Huge endeavor? Give us a break.

>> chuckle chuckle

> No pathetic, you can't be bothered to even click on a few links
>
> . . .
>
> I'm not going to spoon feed you just because you're too lazy to . . .
>
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Today you're more Edward Gruf than Ed Ruf. I haven't checked the
phase of the moon, but notice that I've also been a bit more snippy
than usual that last day or two.

AAvK

> Today you're more Edward Gruf than Ed Ruf. I haven't checked the
> phase of the moon, but notice that I've also been a bit more snippy
> than usual that last day or two.

For crying out loud WHAT a cold pile TURD this guy is! CRYPES!
Personally type a lot to help people out all the time and I get this nasty
attitude for nothing I did wrong to him!

--
}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

>>> Huge endeavor? Give us a break.

>>chuckle chuckle

> No pathetic, you can't be bothered to even click on a few links

HORSE HOCKER!

>>> Use the feature search engine at
>>> dpreview and choose Raw uncompressed format.

>>Thanks, tried that but nothing gave any indication of "actual" color bit depth...
>>or is it that simply "raw" means it will be a higher level, 12/36 no matter what?

> What's the "?" link for next to each line on the comparison page. god helps
> those who help themselves. Of try a google search on dpreview article raw.
> I'm not going to spoon feed you just because you're too lazy to look around
> for yourself. This is basic info.

HORSE HOCKER!

> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Hey DO NOT EVER reply to my posts again, because you have one SERIOUS

> zodiak <

problem that you cannot overcome as good as any normally mature adult that
NEVER thought of it. And THAT is pathetic of YOU!

So keep your icy stink to yourself. Because the only reasons to get into news
groups is to give and recieve "help" - to and from "people".

BTW, "God helps those that help themselves" is not part of the WORD of God,
it is not in the Holy Bible. So that fantasy is not "the word of God".

God helps those that ASK in FAITH to him. And that IS there, for those that
accept him through CHRIST! You can prove it to yourself by clicking the link
in my sig. It has a search engine, and many versions.

I forgive you, I AM psychologically more powerful than you are, and you are
not* plonked just so I can monitor you. Do not reply to me, anywhere.