Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Reducing File Size

Reducing File Size

Stefan

Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file size
to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos account
for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce the file
size of pictures when inserted.
Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
site.

Anyone know a method ?

Thanks Stef

Paul Heslop

Stefan wrote:

> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file size
> to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos account
> for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce the file
> size of pictures when inserted.
> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
> site.
>
> Anyone know a method ?
>
> Thanks Stef

Hi Stef, if you look back to yesterday's posts you'll see one from
Mike with the subject

How Do I Reduce Pixel Count

where this subject was covered. basically you can download something
like irfanview for free and use resize
http://www.irfanview.com/
or you can download the powertoy from Microsoft if you're on XP?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
once installed it allows you to right click on any image and reduce
its size

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Bob Burns

Stefan wrote:
> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file size
> to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos account
> for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce the file
> size of pictures when inserted.
> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
> site.
>
> Anyone know a method ?
>
> Thanks Stef

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)

Charles Schuler

"Stefan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZCQ_g.8015$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
> account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce
> the file size of pictures when inserted.
> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
> MS site.
>
> Anyone know a method ?

For Email, XP can do this for you. Select the file (do not open it).
Select Email this file under the File and Folder tasks. Click on Show more
options and choose your resolution. I use this a lot as it saves time and
so far has given excellent results.

Alan Browne

Bob Burns wrote:
> Stefan wrote:
>
>> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
>> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the
>> photos account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9
>> to reduce the file size of pictures when inserted.
>> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help'
>> or MS site.
>>
>> Anyone know a method ?
>>
>> Thanks Stef
>>

> I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

PS E is not free.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Stefan

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Stefan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ZCQ_g.8015$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
>> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
>> account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce
>> the file size of pictures when inserted.
>> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
>> MS site.
>>
>> Anyone know a method ?

> For Email, XP can do this for you. Select the file (do not open it).
> Select Email this file under the File and Folder tasks. Click on Show
> more options and choose your resolution. I use this a lot as it saves
> time and so far has given excellent results.

Thanks so far chaps, but it seems you have to reduce before inserting into
Word ?
You can't right click to a menu box to give an option to compress/reduce ??

Stef

Charles Schuler

"Stefan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SaR_g.26335$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "Stefan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ZCQ_g.8015$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
>>> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the
>>> photos account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9
>>> to reduce the file size of pictures when inserted.
>>> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help'
>>> or MS site.
>>>
>>> Anyone know a method ?

>> For Email, XP can do this for you. Select the file (do not open it).
>> Select Email this file under the File and Folder tasks. Click on Show
>> more options and choose your resolution. I use this a lot as it saves
>> time and so far has given excellent results.
>>

> Thanks so far chaps, but it seems you have to reduce before inserting into
> Word ?
> You can't right click to a menu box to give an option to compress/reduce
> ??

Not that I know of: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320314

The above link might help and might not. I reduce the resolution of my
pictures using Photoshop. Irfanview is a free download and will also
accomplish that.

Paul Heslop

Alan Browne wrote:

> Bob Burns wrote:
> > Stefan wrote:
> >
> >> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
> >> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the
> >> photos account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9
> >> to reduce the file size of pictures when inserted.
> >> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help'
> >> or MS site.
> >>
> >> Anyone know a method ?
> >>
> >> Thanks Stef
> >>

> > I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

> PS E is not free.

maybe HIS version was :O)

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Jim

"Stefan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZCQ_g.8015$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
> account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce
> the file size of pictures when inserted.
> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
> MS site.
>
> Anyone know a method ?
>
> Thanks Stef

When I want to insert a photo into a Word document, I first reduce the size
to whatever is appropriate with Photoshop.
Jim

Grant Robertson

In article <ZCQ_g.8015$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 9 to reduce the file
> size of pictures when inserted.
> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
> site.
>
> Anyone know a method ?

Word 2003 has a button on the picture toolbar that lets you compress all
the pictures in the document. You wouldn't want to compress the pictures
when you import them because Word wouldn't know how you planned to resize
or crop them. Once they are in place then word can optimize for the final
printing resolution.

You are using software that is 10 years and 3 (almost 4) versions old.
Word 97 came out in 1996. You can't expect it to have all the features
you could possibly think of and you can't expect people to remember what
features it did or didn't have.

You might have better luck asking in the Microsoft newsgroup
microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics which can be found on the web at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm.../default.mspx?
dg=microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics&lang=en& cr=US