Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Good point and shoot digital camera with variable ISO

Good point and shoot digital camera with variable ISO

condor_222@yahoo.com

Dear experts,

I have a Nikon L1 camera.

This has a fixed ISO sensitivity,
and I often shoot in low light situations.

What is your recommedation for a good reliable
digital point and shoot camera with:

- variable ISO. What is the max ISO?
- video capabilities
- 5 megapixels or up
- 3x zoom or better

Thanks a lot!

ASAAR

On 22 Oct 2006 11:19:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a Nikon L1 camera.
>
> This has a fixed ISO sensitivity,
> and I often shoot in low light situations.
>
> What is your recommedation for a good reliable
> digital point and shoot camera with:
>
> - variable ISO. What is the max ISO?
> - video capabilities
> - 5 megapixels or up
> - 3x zoom or better

Go to dpreview.com (or any other good review web site) and check
the reviews for Fuji's Fnn series (F10, F11, F20 and F30). The F30
is the latest and best model, has a 6.3mp sensor, has video
capability and a 3x zoom lens. It may not be widely available
though. I think that the F20 is a slightly low end version in this
line of cameras. The F30 tops out at ISO 3200. Don't be fooled by
other brands offering high ISOs. Many of them may be much "noisier"
at ISO 200 or ISO 400 than the F30 is at ISO 1600. Dpreview's
multi-page review of the F30 is located at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/

On the "ISO Sensitivity/Noise Levels" Photographic Test page
(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page6.asp) it has:

> Compared to the F10 the F30 would appear to have a good two stop
> advantage at ISO 200-800, compared to the best you can get from a
> conventional CCD (the Canon SD 700 IS) it is nothing short of
> astounding. For the first time you have a compact digital camera that
> offers perfectly usable output from ISO 100-800, with only the slightest
> loss of fine detail due to noise reduction. ISO 1600 is where noise
> reduction really starts to take its toll, but is a big improvement on
> the F10 (and is better than any competitor by a wide margin).
> ISO 3200 - though fairly low in measurable noise, is best avoided
> thanks to degrading effect of very heavy noise reduction.

On luminance noise:

> As seen in our real-world tests, the F30 has measurably lower noise than
> the F10 at all ISO settings, though the difference is only really significant
> once you get over ISO 200. Compared to the Canon SD 700 IS (and thus
> the majority of its other 6MP standard CCD competitors) the F30 has
> significantly lower noise across the range, and once you get to ISO 200
> and above it is quite simply in a different class altogether.

On RGB noise:

> No surprises here; the SD 700 IS (one of the best cameras in its class in
> noise terms) has chroma noise at ISO 80 that is roughly the same as the
> F30 at ISO 400. This is made all the more impressive by the fact that
> the F30's low noise is not achieved at the cost of image detail; at
> ISO 200-800 the F30 actually preserves _more_ detail than the Canon,
> with considerably lower noise. Kudos to Fuji.

and the Conclusion web page concludes with this:

> To sum up, the F30 is far and away the best low light compact camera
> on the market today, bar none. It's the perfect 'social' camera for the
> DSLR owner who doesn't want to lug all his or her gear to parties, and
> it is - in expert hands - capable of superb results in any light. I would
> even go as far as to suggest - funds permitting - getting one for low light
> work even if you already own a camera you use for daylight shooting...
> So then, Highly Recommended unless you rarely shoot indoors or at night.

If you read the entire review you'll see that the F30 doesn't fare
quite as well in bright light, but it explains how to easily
compensate (using a different metering mode, using the "Chrome"
setting, or doing a bit of post-processing with the computer.)

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>What is your recommedation for a good reliable
>digital point and shoot camera with:
>
>- variable ISO. What is the max ISO?
>- video capabilities
>- 5 megapixels or up
>- 3x zoom or better

I love my Canon powershot S70. Small, easy to use, great pictures,
full automatic control and full manual control if you want/need it.

Like all P&S cameras, the flash is mediocre.

I've enver used the video feature.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

Raanan

you should check-out canon sd series..
it's really cool and gives you all the things that you asked for.

I had one and i really liked the pictures it made and the fact that is
so small makes you have more daily pictures.. which i really like.

mybe sd500 or the sd400 (diffrent in MPixels)

Raanan
http://www.infoservicesonline.com/camera

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> >What is your recommedation for a good reliable
> >digital point and shoot camera with:
> >
> >- variable ISO. What is the max ISO?
> >- video capabilities
> >- 5 megapixels or up
> >- 3x zoom or better

> I love my Canon powershot S70. Small, easy to use, great pictures,
> full automatic control and full manual control if you want/need it.
>
> Like all P&S cameras, the flash is mediocre.
>
> I've enver used the video feature.
>
> -Joel

> Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

John Smith

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Dear experts,
>
> I have a Nikon L1 camera.
>
> This has a fixed ISO sensitivity,
> and I often shoot in low light situations.
>
> What is your recommedation for a good reliable
> digital point and shoot camera with:
>
> - variable ISO. What is the max ISO?
> - video capabilities
> - 5 megapixels or up
> - 3x zoom or better

Depends. Do you need the "auto ISO" function to do something sensible, or
is adjusting the ISO manually acceptable? I've got a Canon A520 with a
usable ISO range of 50-200 (it goes up to 400, but the noise is a serious
problem at that level). The big problem, however, is that "auto ISO" seems
to be synonymous with "ISO 50": it never changes the sensitivity.

--
John

mrsgator88

After breaking my Kodak, I was at Target and saw a Sony DSC-S600 for $118 on
clearance. Got a 512mb memory stick pro on ebay for $15. Its 6mp, goes to
1000 ISO, 3x zoom (31-93mm equivalent). Very quick although sometimes the
focus "hunts" when you press the shutter. Haven't made prints from it yet
either. But fits your needs.

Michael Weinstein

On 2006-10-22 14:19:48 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) said:

> Dear experts,
>
> I have a Nikon L1 camera.
>
> This has a fixed ISO sensitivity,
> and I often shoot in low light situations.
>
> What is your recommedation for a good reliable
> digital point and shoot camera with:
>
> - variable ISO. What is the max ISO?
> - video capabilities
> - 5 megapixels or up
> - 3x zoom or better
>

> Thanks a lot!

I picked up a factory refurbished Kodak C340 on ebay for $76 (Kodak
itself was the auctioner). It has variable ISO of 80, 100, 200 or 400
or auto, a 3X optical zoom, and it's 5 megapixels. It has mutliple
program modes and you can override things like exposure and white
balance. Not bad for $76. My real cameras use film but this is OK for a
P&S.
--
Michael | "He's dead, Jim."